Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where do you shop for music software online

Magpel

I was a big fan of Soundchaser.com and, well, you know what happened to them.

I'm familiar with Zzounds and with audiomidi. Beyond that, I'm clueless. Soundchaser always seemed to have better prices. Any leads? Let's say I wanted to land the best deal on Absynth or Atmosphere. Where would you look first?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like audiomidi.com for software as they seem to have good stock. Altomusic.com prices sometimes prices agressively--good for Protools related stuff. I've had good luck with 8thstreet.com, but mainly hardware.

I usually check Froogle.

To be honest, the best prices I get are at Guitar Center, but then I don't pay their advertised price.

Busch.

Hehe, thanks Busch. The funny thing is that Alto Music is my local store! I live 30 minutes from the Wappingers Falls branch and 40 minutes from the original Middletown store! But maybe their online proces are different. I'll have to put them on my list.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I do like audiomidi.com for software as they seem to have good stock. Altomusic.com prices sometimes prices agressively--good for Protools related stuff. I've had good luck with 8thstreet.com, but mainly hardware.

I usually check Froogle.

To be honest, the best prices I get are at Guitar Center, but then I don't pay their advertised price.

Busch.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I buy from my local shop when they have the item in stock. Otherwise I have bought from AudioMidi, Sam Ash, American Musical, Musician's Friend, Kraft Music, and Sweetwater. AudioMidi screwed up one of my orders and never did fix it. I ended up with a $24 shipping charge on a $300 software order that was supposed to be shipped free. Sam Ash has messed up orders a couple of times but always makes good. I guess my favorite and most frequent place to buy software is direct. Most of what I buy now comes direct from the likes of rgcAudio, LinPlug, reFx, OhmForce and more. Even my NI and Cakewalk upgrades from from the developer. The only think I will probably buy from a retailer in the near future is Trilogy or Atmosphere.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've bought most of my gear from MusiciansFriend.com. Why? Because they're the only ones silly enough to give me credit. If money and credit wasn't an object, I'd go with Sweetwater. Their sales support is the gold standard in my humble opinion.

For software, I go direct with the manufacturers whenever possible. NI B4 was back ordered for three minths at MusiciansFriend while SONAR ordered from Cakewalk came within days.

Roger mentioned Chuck Levins Washington Music Center. I bought my first keyboard set up (RMI Lark with a Vox Kensington Bass amp and an original Wah Wah pedal) from them in 1967.

Yep, I was a big Soundchaser fan too. Even have my 2 PCs custom made by them. I was so disappointed to learn that they went kaput. That also meant that I lose technical support for my Soundchaser PCDAW. Not that i'm having problems with it. So far it has been performing up to par and stable for the last 2 years.

Anyway, for software, I always go direct (Steinberg USA) or audiomidi.com... nothing else.

I used to like Sweetwater, but they can't seem to get shipping right. I finally had to give up after using them about 2 years. No amount of feedback or direct contact seemed to influence their thinking.

I currently use audiomidi

I like to find the best deal (even if slightly fictitious) and use the zzounds.com Spy Report to get the price even lower. Nine times out of ten, zzounds.com will beat any reasonable price you give them and the shipping is free. I have obtained some very good deals this way.

For most of my big ticket items, I like to shop locally.

Someone mentioned Chuck Levin's Washington Music. I have not been there in awhile, but my very first "rock" rig came from Chuck's when I was 15 years old in 1985...Roland JX-8P, Ultimate Support A-frame stand and Peavey KB-300 amp. I still have the JX-8P and KB300, as well as the original receipt, which is fun to look at from time to time.

Regards,

Eric

Archived