Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Vol. 6 - now accepting submissions

Dave Bryce

Just to clarify (since there still may be some confusion),

Here are the Vol. 6 & 7 rules...

Volume 6 : Solo piano, acoustic (including an acoustic piano sound via ROMpler or sampler, since not everyone has access to a real acoustic piano), or electric (see above). One pass, NO OVERDUBS.

Volume 7 : One pass, NO OVERDUBS, but it can be multi-layered keyboards/synths AND it can include other musicians (i.e. band). I also must be an original composition or free improv. NO COVERS. One pass, no overdubs.

That's it. :idea:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I listened to what I recorded last night and the signal was way too hot! More clipping than a barbershop owned by Telly Savalis and Yul Brenner. :P

So, I spent all afternoon trying to recreate that sort of magic and it just won't come.

I'm going to take a shower, eat a hot meal and try again after dinner.

No matter what I come up with, I've decided to title it either "Without A Net" or "Wabi Sabi", so no one use either of those, ok? ;)

Carl

My submission went on its way to you, Dave.

I hope it will arrive within this week.

A note of caution: That is very ambient piece of music, very sparse. You may fall asleep when listening to it. I literally fell asleep when auditioned my takes to choose the best one and almost fell off my chair. :rolleyes::D

I am back.

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

dB - are you still coming to the Bay Area next week? If so, can I give you a CD with my KC#6 submission on then - is that too late?

No problem.

I got Roger Hooper's submission today. That brings the total up to six - me, steadyb, Steve Leblanc, Frank Lucas, marino and Roger.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

dB - are you still coming to the Bay Area next week? If so, can I give you a CD with my KC#6 submission on then - is that too late?

No problem.

I got Roger Hooper's submission today. That brings the total up to six - me, steadyb, Steve Leblanc, Frank Lucas, marino and Roger.

dB

AHEM!!! :wave:

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

All right - I had a some time tonight.

I was kind of feeling in a depressed mood over the suicide bombings in Israel (the latest one having been about 500 feet from where I lived for a year and a half).

So this led me to play "Hatikvah", the Israeli national anthem, for some reason. Of course, I had no idea what direction I was going in, so after an intro that I came up with, I ended up improv-ing toward the latter part of the song. So I find myself in a Dim7 chord, and suddenly -

Aaaaaaaaargh.....

the obvious song which follows that Dim7 just must come out - needless to say, it is the farthest thing from "Hatikvah". You'll have to hear it for yourself.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

No problem.

dB

Hey Dave ,

Is that Roger Hooper who worked at Chuck Levins ?

If so , can you send him a note to email me ?

Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Dave:

I apologize for being one of the stragglers (again). I've been busy with work and I put together this really cool (volunteer) Toastmasters event last night which has been devouring my time. That's my excuse and I'm stcking with it. :) I will track the tune on monday and mail it to you on tuesday. Will that be too late?

Regards,

Jerry

I'll nail something this weekend, though it'll either be on an out of tune piano, or on a sampled one....

dave, if I have a jazz tune I've composed, can I use that, even if I have a lead sheat written out?...or should i just sit and....play?

Originally posted by schmoron13:

dave, if I have a jazz tune I've composed, can I use that, even if I have a lead sheat written out?...or should i just sit and....play?

While improv'ed pieces are certainly fair game, original compositions and cover tunes are also most welcome. We just wanna hear you play the piano by yourself - we don't care what you choose to play... ;)

dB

Originally posted by Roger Hooper:

Hey Dave ,

Is that Roger Hooper who worked at Chuck Levins ?

If so , can you send him a note to email me ?

Dano

That would be me! :wave:
Hey Roger ! :wave:

How ya been ?

danosmusic@yahoo.com

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

dave, since you'll be in the bay area this weekend, would it be possible to stop by Leo's (going there anyways on sunday) and just hand it to you, or do you just want it sent via mail?

Whichever's more convenient for you...do note that I won't be there on Sunday, though...Football Holiday, doncha know. ;)

If you can stop by Fri/Sat, that'd be cool - I'm always pleased to get to meet someone from the forum if/when the opportunity comes up. :thu:

dB

I thought cover tunes were out but I guess since marino did "lucy in the sky with bartok" (hillarious), I guess I might be inclined to go with a standard...I'll see this weekend...

To my understanding, the improvisation thing was intended for vol.7.

I thought about doing a standard too, but I play them every day... so I thought I tried something different. :D

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Dave, did you get my submission I sent you a week ago? Here are less than 5 minutes left until tomorrow (the deadline) starts, so I'm a bit nervous. :D

I didn't get it yet, but don't be nervous. The disc isn't even close to being full.

dB

Archived