Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

noob question... can you hook up a desktop synth (Yamaha AN200) to a midi keyboard?

Siberian

I am looking at a cheap analog modeling synth for arpeggios. I found the Yamaha AN200 and was thinking of getting a used one, but I want actual keys to play. If I had one of those cheapie midi keyboard controllers, like the ones you can get for about $100 bucks, can I play that kind of synth using those keys?

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wiring it that way works great - no need to use the internal sequencer then. Although the sequencer is great in a box that sounds as good as a AN200. Btw, it also holds true for the DX200 and the Korg Electribe series in terms of using an external keyboard.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

The DX200 and AN200 does not have a "true" sequencer like you will find in the RM1x. Each patch is tied to a pattern. Each pattern can have four parts, one with the synth as the sound source, and three channels with the included drum and bass ROM sounds. Then you string the patterns together to make a song. Though the patterns are great and also include knob movement, this method is a bit restrictive.

But, as requested, the units make a great, cheap single channel sound source when connected to a keyboard or external sequencer.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Oops. Sorry. Yes, you can write your own patterns. But, patterns are tied to a patch so you do not write a collection of patterns, then create a part with a single patch that jumps from pattern to pattern as you do with Emu boxes. The Yamaha boxes work like the Korg Electribe R. There is a one to one relationship between pattern and patch. If you want a patch to play several patterns you have to write that patch to memory with each pattern. This is my biggest complaint about the AN200, DX200, and Electribes. I would much prefer patches and patterns to be saved seperately.

Robert

DX200 uses FM synthasis like the old DX-7 keyboard. AN200 is Analog Modeling.

Since they were discontinued you might still be able to find them for $200 each new. This is still a gread deal for the quality of sound and amount of knobs. They also come with decent computer based editors.

Robert

Archived