Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days

Odyssian

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how the CD compares with the original recording, as I haven't received my copy yet. I just ordered them a couple of days ago, and yes... I am checking my mailbox daily. ;)

I kinda do hope they do a remix though. The album generally sounded okay to me, except for the piano. It sounded like it was being played from inside a tin can. :freak: heheh!

I got my copy about 2 weeks ago. This was and still is my favorite Jan Hammer album. The CD has more liner notes and photos that the original album didn't have. I remember the original sounding a little warmer, but the remix isn't bad. Maybe it was because of my old stereo from the '70's. ;)

The piano always sounded to me like it was miked right next to the hammers.

Did anyone happen to see the Charlie Rose show called "Nightwatch" back in the mid to early 80s where Jan Hammer was a guest? It was a great show. Charlie Rose seemed REALLY taken with all the sounds that Jan was demonstrating from his synths. From what I recall, Jan brought to the show a Memorymoog, a DX7, Fairlight, Jupter8, and maybe more. Check out the attached pic, which I don't recall where I got it from.

Hey, wait a minute.... I thought there was an attachement feature on this board? :confused:

Originally posted by Odyssian:

Hey Tinder, it seems like we like a lot of the same music. :) Are you a Camel fan as well? Did you by chance make to NEARfest this year? I missed it this time around...

I didn't make NearFest for the the past two years. I heard that Tunnels (w/ Percy Jones from Brand X) was incredible.

Camel's OK, but not amongst my favorites. There's a good bit of prog out these days, but much of it seems like hair bands in 11/8.

I've been associated with Happy The Man for a long time and mixed them at NearFest in 2000. They finally signed their deal and will start their new CD in September. David Rosenthal has replaced Kit Watkins.

I haven't heard this cd yet, but I am sure it will be exquisite. I heard the Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck Group live in the 70's play the opening cut, "Darkness..."; unbelievable! If I hadn't been into synths by then, the opening 8 bars would have cinched the deal. I think "O Yea" was his best rock band album. I got to meet Jan at a Lync booth while representing my store at a Namm show. People kept asking him to play piano and organ sounds on the Lync. Very curious...

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Originally posted by Roger Hooper:

I haven't heard this cd yet, but I am sure it will People kept asking him to play piano and organ sounds on the Lync. Very curious...

Jan was actually a killer B3 player although he is more known for his screaming Minimoog leads. Hear his B3 chops on "Timeless" with John Abercrombie. Nice.

Archived