Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forgive me, for I'm about to sin

ksoper

Tonight I feel like overplaying. Yeah, I should know better, but we've been playing the same show for a year. (And I bet the guys in the pit orchestra for "Cats" are pretty sick of their gig.) Country music isn't particularly demanding and while on tour, we really don't have any opportunity to stretch out and play other stuff. So tonight is for me. Oh, it'll stay appropriate and tasteful; it'll just be a little...notey. And maybe there will be a few altered chords...OK, so maybe not appropriate...but hey, I'm barely in the mix. Aw, here I go rationalizing.

But did you ever have a night where you just wanted to fly instead of sit on the tarmac?

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are forgiven, my son, go in peace.

Your penitence - you must say 20 Proud Mary's as an act of contrition.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Have you ever considered throwing in a quote just for your own amusement? Drop in 2 bars of a Miles Davis head, maybe a Zepplin lick, a few notes from a Beatles melody. Unless your bandmates are complete stiffs, they'll have some fun with it, too.

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Have you ever considered throwing in a quote just for your own amusement? Drop in 2 bars of a Miles Davis head, maybe a Zepplin lick, a few notes from a Beatles melody. Unless your bandmates are complete stiffs, they'll have some fun with it, too.

Hee-hee...I sometimes throw in that 4-note beginning to Start trek...!(C-G-Bb-D)

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Yeah--I had a little fun. One of the artists decided to work off the set list and I took that as an opportunity to stretch out. But I kept it within the groove, and didn't do anything that made heads whip around. Of course, I'm not loud enough in anyone's mix that they'd even know...

It's kinda sad---the artists think I've had a good night if I've made a lot of dramatic arm movements and flourishes...idiots.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived