Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NYC get together?

Mark Zeger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hey, it may be a bit early to bring this up, but I'd really like to try and do a big dinner thing for the AES show in NYC at the beginning of October.

dB

I'm definitely up for that.

Start a thread!

Is it too early to do that?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Man, I wish I could have been there!

In a weird coincidence, while you were eating dinner, we saw someone we met during our New York trip on TV. It was Saint Reverend Jen Miller the host of Collective: Unconscious . Her site is creative, slightly bizarre, and amusing ... IMO, it's worth a minute or two to check it out. For instance, if you follow the "Click Here To Enter" link in the upper left hand corner of her title page, you'll be greeted with a hand written links page and the words, "Are you a dude? Fill out my form!"

Sruly, I'm hoping to see pictures from last night's dinner too. However if no one took any, you can follow this link to see pictures from our April dinner. Unfortunately, you and Mark weren't there, but everyone else was.

Oh, FWIW, Jan, last week I spoke to my old friend who you look like for the first time in nearly two years. We had a great three hour long phone conversation!

I'm glad that you all had fun!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Magpel:

Geoff, is that the infamous Reverend Jen? I've seen her stuff. She's hilarious! She worked with a friend of mine named Reverend Hank. No kidding.

How funny - what a small world!

Yes, she's one in the same. Check out her site. Is Reverend Hank in New Paltz?

No, Reverend Hank went to school at New Paltz (where he worked with my audio theater trouple for a while) but he's part of the same downtown performance art scene as Rev. Jen. Small world, and strange.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

We came. We drank. We had a blast!

It's an amazing thing when you can get together with a group of folks that you've met only once - or for the first time in Mark's case - sit down, and have a rousing conversation that would rival a reunion with old college chums. Topics included:

Indispensible soft synths

Vintage synths and keys (Rhodes)

The downfall of AOR radio (and the culprits)

Record piracy and how to thwart it

Great performances that we've seen/missed

Evolver programming

Pro Tools

Synthesized vs. live tracks (brass, strings, etc.)

Reason, and why everyone needs a copy

Whether to invest in hardware synths today

Why synths should be considered their own instrument (not emulators)

Best/worst deals we've made

Thank you, genlemen. It was great fun! My only regret is that the time flew by so quickly.

:thu::thu::thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Jan Folkson:

We should certainly plan on getting together around AES time again.

I'm all for an AES get-together.

I'm hoping we can make it happen on Friday night (10/10).

dB

Eek! :eek:

I'll be at AES, but Fri. night I can't make it - am I destined to never see you guys? :cry:

Originally posted by Soundscape Studios:

Eek! :eek:

I'll be at AES, but Fri. night I can't make it...

Riiiiight - Shabbat, huh? Hmmm.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that Friday's probably the best night for the majority of folks because of the people who work in the city already being there. Saturday night is the TEC awards dinner, so those of us exhibiting can't go that night.

How does Sunday night shake out for y'all? Any better?

Another question - should we just keep this down here, or should we cross-post it into other forums to get others involved?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Soundscape Studios:

I'll be at AES, but Fri. night I can't make it...

Riiiiight - Shabbat, huh? Hmmm.

How does Sunday night shake out for y'all? Any better?

Another question - should we just keep this down here, or should we cross-post it into other forums to get others involved?

dB

Yea, gotta do the Shaabos thang (there's actually a song like that).

I know Sunday is probably worse for most people, but let's see what e/o has to say.

As far as posting in the other forums - I kinda like this section of the forums better than the SSS boys. I would keep it here (excluding Craig, of course, who I met at the last AES, and had a good shmooze with).

While I generally prefer hanging out here myself, I've had a great time at every single forum gathering I've attended; and I've attended a lot of them! :D The forum members I've met face to face are almost universally intelligent and supportive. Therefore, it doesn't matter to me in which forum the main AES dinner thread resides, because I'm confident that those who it will attract will be among our best and brightest! :thu:

I have no idea yet whether or not I'll make it to NYC for AES, so I don't know if it's proper for me to make requests regarding this gathering. However, if I may, I would request that wherever the main thread is, we create threads linking to it in most of the other forums (at the very least in The Keyboard Corner, the EQ forums, SSS, NUESTRO FORO, and The Studio Business Forum).

As for when to have the gathering, if I do make it to New York for AES, I'm sure that Sunday night (or any night for that matter) would be fine.

Best,

Geoff

Archived