Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 tubes in a rig....a good thing?

Jdub2k1

OK, I have the Voce V5 with a Motionsound Pro3t. The Pro3t has a tube in it already, but I am thinking about addind the blue tube with it. Would it destroy the organ sound or would it get me closer to the dirty b3 sound I am trying to get?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alot of Hammond Cloneheads highly recommend the Speakeasy Vintage Tube Preamp

The traditional Hammond/Leslie combo uses two tubes - a tube preamp in the organ and a tube amp in the Leslie. You've got the tube in the amp, a Blue Tube or Speakeasy will act as a Hammond preamp.

The beauty of the Speakeasy is that it is designed to specifically sweeten up the high-end of Hammond clones. All the folks over at the Yahoo! CloneWheel Group can't stop talking about this preamp pedal - its probably 3 times the cost of the Blue Tube though.

I'm sure someone has tried exactly what you're talking about either here or at that group...anyone?

Man...you must want it really "dirty" sounding! When I turn up the overdrive on my V5, and then the tube drive on my KBR-3D, it already sounds as dirty as I would want it. I have put the V5 through my blue tube also, without the motionsound amp, which I do for ease of recording. Naturally, these 2 methods sound a little different, but I think either by itself would give you plenty of "creamy tube overdrive goodness".

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

I crave tubes for that almost instantaneous "punch" they provide for my "Rhodes" sound, not for the distortion, though a little bit of tube distortion is nice when you accent a note really loud. To really get the tube "punch", I have found that the tubes in the power amp are much more responsible for the punch than the tubes in the preamp, although a combination of both is the punchiest. By the way, Leo Fender's last amp designs for 'Music Man' amps used solid state preamps with tube power amps.

My little 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb amp has 7 tubes in it:

2 power tubes, 4 preamp tubes, and a rectifier tube. http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/princeton_reverb_bf_66f.jpg

I tried a Presonus ($250) tube preamp in front of my solid state amp and it added too much noise and just a little roundness and a tiny bit of punch, I stopped using it because it was noisy and of minimum benefit. In my opinion, the stand alone tube preamps being sold don't do enough for a keyboards sound and if they did everybody would be using them.

Archived