Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I bought a Prius!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A colleague of mine traded her Mustang GT for a Prius. She loves it. She actually ran out of gas on the freeway and was able to drive (at 15mph) to a gas station on the electric engine alone. I've ridden in it, never driven it. But I'd definitely consider buying one, or something like it.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Its one small step anyway. I like sitting in traffic knowing I am part of the solution. I think I will buy a hydrogen fuel cell car when those come available, assuming it is afordable and hydrogen becomes available at gas stations. I'm doing my part to help us not to be the Saudis bitch and decreasing green house gas production. Drove it to San Diego last weekend. Set the cruise at 95 mph and got 39 mpg doing it. I shudder to think what the milage would be on a Suburban or Navigator at 95 mph.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

[quote] [b] A colleague of mine traded her Mustang GT for a Prius. She loves it. She actually ran out of gas on the freeway and was able to drive (at 15mph) to a gas station on the electric engine alone.[/b] [/quote]60mpg and she *still* ran it out of gas... :rolleyes: Don't make me get all chauvanistic :D

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Very Cool! We are thinking of making the same choice for a second car. How big is the trunk - can you fit an 88 key synth in the trunk or back seat?
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [QB60mpg and she *still* ran it out of gas... :rolleyes: Don't make me get all chauvanistic :D [/QB][/quote]In all fairness, she expected the fuel gauge to be non-linear like every other car. A normal car stays at Full, 1/2, and Empty longer than anywhere else on the gauge. They're designed that way to cater to people's expectations of fuel economy. Apparently, the Prius doesn't do that. When it says empty, it actually means EMPTY.

[quote]Originally posted by SFOracle: [b]Very Cool! We are thinking of making the same choice for a second car. How big is the trunk - can you fit an 88 key synth in the trunk or back seat?[/b][/quote]It is a small car, but much bigger that the Honda 2 seater hybrid that is out. The wifey has the car tonight, but I will measure the trunk and back seat later this week and let you know. I suspect an 88 key keyboard would fit in the back seat, don't know about the trunk. The trunk has the batteries which takes up some room, but it is still not that small. I love the car. The gas motor turns off when you are at a stop, or going slow which feels weird at first - it feels like the car stalled - just goes silent, no vibration or noise.

[quote] [b] In all fairness, she expected the fuel gauge to be non-linear like every other car. A normal car stays at Full, 1/2, and Empty longer than anywhere else on the gauge. They're designed that way to cater to people's expectations of fuel economy. Apparently, the Prius doesn't do that. When it says empty, it actually means EMPTY. [/b] [/quote]heh.. well.. yeah, in all fairness i was a little brash.. I guess i'm also a little over-paranoid when it comes to gasoline. Probably from the days of the hot rods with 351C's and 429 Cobra Jets in them. When my gauge reads 1/4, i fill it before driving anywhere. :p

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

My bud in San Fran has one, and it hauled us all over NoCal for 5 days on 2 tanks....like 1000 miles. Being a computer geek, I was very impressed with the touch screen info center. Cool as heck, and it shows you animated power transfer cycles and such. The Honda (though I love Hondas and own an Accord) is not as nice riding, nor room ( I am 6-1 and fit in the prius fine) and I hav enot seen a good review of it yet, especially the head to head ones with the Prius. I recently bought a car, but I needed more carrying capacity and a bit of towing, so I got a Saturn VUE 4 cyl 5 speed. As a small sport ute for hauling the midgets and my computer crud, pretty damn happy with it for under 20K, and I am gettting around 25 MPG. not great, but much better than an Explorer..

[quote]Originally posted by midispaceho: [b]I'm 6'1" also and fit in the Prius just fine also. It is a very comfortable ride, and very tight in the corners.[/b][/quote]My mom has had one for about 6 months and she loves it. I have driven it a couple times and it is very impressive. Although I can't stop playing with the touch screen in the middle of the dash. I was surprised how comfortable it is and how much space it offers both front and rear passengers. Not that it is huge, but it doesn't feel as small as you would think. Also, the trunk is very useable and big enough for most applications. Anyway, congratulations again on your new purchase!

Pascal Sijen

Co-Founer

www.abluesky.com

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]Now if Volkswagen could get me a hybrid version of my New Beetle...[/b][/quote]YES! Only, do away with that odd New Beetle look... I want VINTAGE! Put the electric motor in the back and air cool it.

[quote]Originally posted by BassGuy21: [b] [quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]Now if Volkswagen could get me a hybrid version of my New Beetle...[/b][/quote]YES! Only, do away with that odd New Beetle look... I want VINTAGE! Put the electric motor in the back and air cool it.[/b][/quote]That would be very cool. They should hybridize the BMW minicoopers and the Toyota Matrix also.

Archived