Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

double,triple,quadruple compressing...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that's it just like anything else in audio. Listen closely to make sure that nothing odd is happening, and if it sounds good, it is good. (Be careful not to overcompress. You'll make it n times as easy to do with n compressors. Of course, if that's the sound you want...) One thing that you may find (I've encountered this once, so there's no scientific method here) is that compressors designed for a certain application (like guitars, for instance) can work well together. My guitar sound used to include two compressors, one at the front end of an overdrive/ amp sim, and another at the front end of the next FX box in the line. Both processors were designed specifically for guitar (A Zoom 510 and a Zoom 505 respectively.) -Danny

I think it depends on what you are compressing and with what ratio. Are refering to the whole mix? Drums only? Vocals? It seems we all have ways that we favor when recording and what you learn by yourself and what you get used to. Getting results is obviously the goal and we all have several ways to get there. I ALWAYS compress vocals going to tape, ALWAYS. Some folks think that is ludicrous but it works for my gear and vocal style. That vocal will enevntually get compressed again during some sort of dynamic processing or mastering. I almost always compress bass going to tape as well,right or wrong doesn't matter, I love my bass tone and results. I have heard that it is not advisable to compress your stereo outs while mixing down. I have been told that it makes it harder for your mixes to be properly mastered and gives the mastering engineer 'less' headroom to work with. Cheers.

Yes, make the 1st pass barely on (1.5:1 or 2:1), and the 2nd, 3rd & 4th pass 1:1! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] -here come the flames! -Hippie
In two days, it won't matter.

• 1 month later...
i really dig the sound of 1.1 to 1 compression at almost any threshold on the mix. slow attack, fast release, set to taste. kind of "sizze;s" the sound without pumping. i have tried it with db reductions at -1 to -12 and they all sound good but there is a setting for each tune that is best. THEN, you can get squish-happy if you feel the need. if you slick it up at 1.1 to 1 first, the mix can take more severe compression later and not be so unstable. ymmv.

I compress just about everything when tracking except lead electric guitar (overdriven guitar is already about as compressed as possible) and midi sequenced parts (you can fix those with velocity scaling beforehand). On tracked parts, sometimes I'll plug in a compressor or if it's just an occational loud bit you can just draw it into the mix. On average, 'specially on vocals, I'd say lightly compressing twice always sounds better than squishing the sh#t out of something.

Archived