Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes performing & my friend.

My friend makes me wanna puke! He gets to have all the fun! He always somehow manages to -by chance- connect up with some cool people, and gets to do some cool things. [i]By chance[/i], he hung out after a Peter Gabriel concert at a local University (early 80's)and ended up getting to hang out with Tony Levin and at least one of the other musicians -I don't remember who exactly, I probably don't wanna know. [i]By chance[/i], he went to the store and bought Discipline -By King Crimson when it came out, and JUST HAPPENED to be in the right check out line where the girl who was working was not only attractive AND available, BUT was already into Crimson and bands like UK etc! We're talk'n high school age here, folks! [i]By chance[/i], on Yes's last tour he met Rick Wakeman after the concert. The list goes on and on and on... Well THIS TIME, his friend who plays with him in their classic Gabriel era Genesis tribute band, [url=http://www.grand-parade.com]Grand Parade[/url] (Did I mention my friend can also play guitar like Steve Hackett???? :rolleyes: ), happens to be a choral director for a bunch of kids that just performed with Yes during a recent concert. So -OF COURSE- my friend was backstage hanging out with his childhood heroes during all of this. There are pictures too. But none with my friend in them (Oh, boo-hoo-hoo! :rolleyes: ). But here are the links for those of you who might be interested [url=http://www.bebopdaddys.com/yes/]CLICK THIS[/url] . You would think that knowing this guy would mean that I would benefit from all of his fortunate encounters, but you would be wrong... I always somehow miss out on this stuff! So my only "benefit" is that I GET TO HEAR ABOUT IT... :evil: (grrrrrr)

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think if he was your "friend", he'd make sure you got in on some of that. And there are pictures, but he's not IN them? Hmmm.... Sounds like my brother-in-law. He knows if you're looking to buy some particular item, but waits until you actually buy it before he announces he could have gotten it for you cheaper! I tend to think it's just a lot of shit! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

True story: I'm a Crimson fan, myself. A few years ago I went with my girlfriend to see Robert Fripp play solo, live, in a free concert. He was doing his textural soundscapes thing. Anyway, at the end of the concert, people started applauding, and Fripp just sort of hurried off stage without acknowledging the audience. As the applause started to fade with confusion, he suddenly appeared in the crowd, in front of the stage, holding several bags of cookies. He held up a cookie (I believe it was a Sausalito (sp?) - anal Crimson historians take note) in offering to the crowd. Needless to say, moments later he was swarmed by adoring fans clamoring for cookies. He made his way down the center aisle, bestowing cookies like a benevolent prophet. "Go get a cookie!" my girlfriend urged me, with a nudge. "No, no, no..." I said. "C'mon! Go get a cookie" I mean, I'm a big fan, and while I would love to actually talk with Fripp, and have certainly fantasized about playing with him, I didn't see the point in joining a bunch of screaming dweebs clawing over each other for a cookie from him. Anyway, my girlfriend insisted. So up I went. I halfheartedly joined the crowd, raised my arm up ("Me, me! Give me a cookie!"), and hoped, like the rest of the group, for five seconds of personal attention from Robert Fripp. Then something happened. Fripp craned his neck over the crowd and spotted my girlfriend, sitting by herself and minding her own business. He cleared a path through the masses, and walked right up to her. He handed her a Fig Newton. So... While I didn't actually get to meet him, I can proudly say that one of my idols HIT ON MY GIRLFRIEND. She let me eat the cookie, by the way. I haven't brushed my teeth ever since.

I think if you'd visit your friend - who lives about 1 1/2 hours from you - you might get in on all the good stuff!!! He'd certainly like to see you and your family. I have an idea. Why don't you come to see his next show with [url=http://www.grand-parade.com]Grand Parade[/url] !!! It's March 8th! Then you two could hang out, listen to some great Genesis music, and talk about those long-lost college days when you were room mates! Jeff Denton Guitarist - Grand Parade PS - just because you aren't in the pictures doesn't mean you weren't there. [b]Someone[/b] has to take the pictures!!!!

I have a friend and former bandmate, who`s something like that, but things don`t just happen to him-he talks his way into them. Thanks to him I`ve met both Steve Morse and Allan Holdsworth, and he actually caught someone trying to steal a drum from the I.O.U. band, so Allan came out and thanked us personally, gave us all tour shirts (still got mine), and put us an the guest list for a show the next night with Steve Morse and Steve Howe. This guy has gotten backstage at the VH-1 music awards with NO PASS, and partied with Neve Campbell. Stuff like that NEVER happens to me.

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff_Denton: [b]I think if you'd visit your friend - who lives about 1 1/2 hours from you - you might get in on all the good stuff!!! He'd certainly like to see you and your family. [/b][/quote]Hey now!!! Don't you go ruining all my fun by telling everyone the [i]other side of the story[/i]!!! ;) Actually, I'm not without a few BIG moments myself. For example: A guy over on the Keyboard forum who goes by the name of Rick Wakeman said he was talking to his tech about a question I'd had, and offered some possible solutions. As I recall, they all had something to do with "adding more keyboards to the stack" -it MUST have been Rick! And then this one time, I was at a gig in this bar, and this guy came up and said he was from Arizona and was the drummer in Steppenwolf, and he was wondering if he could sit in with the band for a song or two. He could play "Born To Be Wild", so I guess his story checked out. And I'm not EVEN going to mention the time I met Darth Vader at the mall, cause it would sound like I was gloating and that would make other people feel bad... :) Yes, yes. You know I want to come over and hang out -and I DID come out there, didn't I? It WILL happen again -I promise. And I DO REALLY want to see Grand Parade. (Yes, my friend is a fine guitar player. Very musical in his approach -a rare find in ANY musician. We've shared many special musical experiences, both while playing in a band, or turning up the stereo. Good times! Anyway, welcome to MusicPlayer, Jeff. You'll find everything you need here is cheap and plentiful. Oh, and if I were you, I'd stay clear of any politically charged threads. It's been rumored that in those threads, the dead walk! I don't know too much about that, but there are plenty dead horses being beaten... :rolleyes: Plus they tend to annoy most here anyway -this is a MUSIC forum. :cool:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]he actually caught someone trying to steal a drum from the I.O.U. band, so Allan came out and thanked us personally, gave us all [/b][/quote]Yeah, and I'd-ah gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddeling kids -and that dog! That was a nice drum! :mad:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I was wondering whether [i]just by chance[/i] your friend had a huge set of knockers...but then you referred to him as a "he," so I no longer want to inquire about his knockers. One day [i]just by chance[/i], as I was walking over to a restaurant in the World Financial Center to pick up a pizza that I'd ordered for lunch, I noticed a well-dressed, middle aged gentleman on the Wintergarden stage playing some spacey tape loop music with his guitar. My first thought was, "Wow! This old guy sounds a lot like Robert Fripp." It WAS Robert Fripp; I hadn't seen his photo since the 80's. Didn't talk to him, though, and I didn't stick around for cookies, as my pizza was getting cold. There WERE some great looking women in the audience, though. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Anitafix: [b]Hey here's one: Years ago I was at LAX waiting for a flight in the same departure lounge as Stuart Copeland (the Police were huge at the time) When he stood up to go for his flight I took his seat. ;) [/b][/quote]and you got it out of the airport? ya sure couldn`t get away with that now...

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I was wondering whether [i]just by chance[/i] your friend had a huge set of knockers...but then you referred to him as a "he," so I no longer want to inquire about his knockers.[/b][/quote]Well, *I* don't think they're *THAT* big. But if you'd like I can introduce you and you can decide for yourself. I personally don't think it would work out. But who am I to say what works and what doesn't in this toppsy-turvy world. I just want everyone to be happy. [quote][b] Stuart Copeland (the Police were huge at the time) When he stood up to go for his flight I took his seat. [/quote][/b] You know, you really should have taken Sting's seat. But it's a cool story anyway...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

"And then this one time, I was at a gig in this bar, and this guy came up and said he was from Arizona and was the drummer in Steppenwolf, and he was wondering if he could sit in with the band for a song or two. He could play "Born To Be Wild", so I guess his story checked out. " Didn't that guy disappear some years ago, & turn up dead recently? Around 11 or 12 years ago a studio owner I was working for told me that a friend of his, the drummer from Steppenwolf, was working on some amazing new data compression algorythm for audio, it was all very secretive. Then a few months later I read or heard that he had mysteriously dissappeared. I'm not sure, but I think I read more recently that he turned up dead somewhere. I hope I'm not just starting some awful rumor here.

Paul Berolzheimer

Progenitor of 2 amazing sound sources

Archived