Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where were you when you heard John was shot?

I was getting ready for school the morning following the shooting when the radio announcer intoned that John Lennon had been shot and killed last night by a deranged 'fan'. I didn't know who the Beatles were, but I sensed a tremendous loss nonetheless. Still remember it like it was yesterday....... :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
walking in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA, after having dinner and drinks with my girlfriend and some friends. I don't remember how we heard, just that everyone knew. I had a part time job at a record store. The next morning, I opened the store, put all Lennon and Beatles albums and cassettes we had in stock by the cash 'n wrap, and they were all sold within the hour.

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]That alias Chapman post was in very poor taste.[/b][/quote]I concur![/b][/quote]Thirded. What an idiot. - Jeff[/b][/quote]Taste is something personal. I consider necrophilia to be of bad taste, but, then, that´s just me. I certainly respect that some people feel the need for worship of martyrs, but this love for martyrs is probably one of the reasons that led Chapman to create his own. I believe that death is (should be)a private affair. You can call me an idiot for that, Jeff. The words I pasted (yep, I was the author of the post)were Chapman´s own. I thought it was appropriate to remember what he was thinking when he decided to become part of his hero´s history. Best regards, Jose.

Jose...yes, taste is personal. That not withstanding, there is an important factor in being aware of what is appropriate in a given situation. This thread, I assume, was started by someone being aware that this week commemorates another anniversary of John Lennon's death. Again, the degree of propriety of your comment, regardless of its intent, is on par with walking into a memorial service of a recently-departed relative and speaking ill of the dead. Posting Chapman's quote without any contextual explaination raised the ire of a few folks, myself included. It seemed to show a tremendous lack of respect for the feelings of those who had posted above you. You have every right to like or dislike Lennon or his contributions to culture. You should not be surprised, however, when you get called on an apparent disregard for the other people who have joined to share their collective grief that remains even today, 22 years later. That's it. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b] [quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Gettin' some. Really destroyed the mood.[/b][/quote]Dood, you were watching TV/listening to the radio whilst doing the nasty? Or did your momma walk in? Double tragedy...[/b][/quote]Radio, back the it ws worth listening to.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I was six years old. I remember it being a cloudy, maybe cold sort of day. I'm not sure if i was coming home from school or if i was just outside mucking around with my Tonka truck, but i came inside, and both of my parents were very upset. They told me that John Lennon was shot and killed. I knew who the Beatles were, could sing lots of thier songs. I knew who John, Paul, George and Ringo were, and i understood what "dead" meant. I don't know if i fully understood the weight of the situation like i would if i were a little older. I remember being very sad, but it's possible that seeing my parents crying (one of the few times i've seen either of them cry) might have made me cry too. However, i do remember that it was on my mind for several days afterwards. Around this age is when i was starting to really understand what life, death and (especially my) mortality was all about, and i think that the death of Lennon was what really drove it home. Coincidentally, i think Golden Earring's song "Twilight Zone" was current on MTV, and the punchline: You will come to know When the bullet hits the bone weighted heavily on the whole situation as well. I don't know if any of that makes sense.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b]Jose...yes, taste is personal. That not withstanding, there is an important factor in being aware of what is appropriate in a given situation. This thread, I assume, was started by someone being aware that this week commemorates another anniversary of John Lennon's death. Again, the degree of propriety of your comment, regardless of its intent, is on par with walking into a memorial service of a recently-departed relative and speaking ill of the dead. Posting Chapman's quote without any contextual explaination raised the ire of a few folks, myself included. It seemed to show a tremendous lack of respect for the feelings of those who had posted above you. You have every right to like or dislike Lennon or his contributions to culture. You should not be surprised, however, when you get called on an apparent disregard for the other people who have joined to share their collective grief that remains even today, 22 years later. That's it. - Jeff[/b][/quote]Jeff, I understand what you say, and I hope that you believe me if I say that hurting anyone´s feelings was far from my intentions. I apologize for that. OTOH, I do not see how this may suggest that I was speaking ill of John Lennon, or anyone, for that matter. I cannot think of better memorial than remembering how stupid and useless was Lennon´s death, and the fact that he was a victim of a star system he most probably despised. Best regards, Jose.

[quote]Originally posted by JoseC.: [b]Jeff, I understand what you say, and I hope that you believe me if I say that hurting anyone´s feelings was far from my intentions. I apologize for that.[/b][/quote]Thanks for clarifying, Jose. It's funny...I didn't contribute to the "McCartney is an embarrassment" thread because in a certain way, I felt like defending the original post. In other words, I can see how someone would feel that Paul [i]is[/i] an embarrassment compared to his earlier self. I think your original post was interpreted (or, rather, misinterpreted) to be a glorification of Chapman or his actions. now that I realize your intent, I also apologize for calling you an idiot. You, apparently, are not. :) - Jeff

[quote][b] I've not visted here for a while but I must say that I think "Where were you when you heard [name favorite song]?" would be a question that more reflects what John would like you to think about. He didn't care for nostalgia, especially of the sad sort. At this time (as the calendar turns to a new year in a new century), why not think of the future & how we might make our world better? [/b] [/quote]While i cannot disagree with your post, i must say that a lot of the songs that John penned are still very relevant today. "Imagine" comes most easily to mind. I still find it sad that he's not around to still remind us of some of the more important things. Plus, he's still had quite a positive impact on my life. I owe him quite a lot, and i'll never be able to show him my gratitude.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Phaeton, you might do that by stepping forward past your hero(es) & doing what makes the world better. John's favorite advice to his fans when he spoke to them was, "Learn to swim on your own". By that he meant that the Beatles did their own thing (though influenced by their heroes) & the best way to reflect their influence was/is to move forward & make your mark. It may be large or it may be a tiny bit in some corner but if it is an improvement of life then [i]that[/i] is all that counts.

I'd say the best way to put that, Yoko, is that if all who responded in this thread believed in anything John Lennon had to say, then live up to it. Making the world a better place to live isn't a fad. No matter HOW many people think that way lately. Peace, brotherhood, tolerence, giving, helping, and speaking out against injustices, no matter HOW bad it makes you look at cocktail parties, is never wrong. Simply waving the flag is useless. Keeping it CLEAN is what counts. Would you rather have other nations fear and loathe it when they see it coming? Or welcome it with warm and open arms? And this thinking isn't left-wing, radical or liberal...it's HUMANE! And what's so bad about THAT? Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived