Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Condensed Topics: 2 requests/A song my son likes

Hi. I'm saving space by condensing what could be two or even three separate topics into just one. Mom would be proud! [b]First, a request:[/b] I have been coming here regularly for over a year now. I hate logging on and not knowing who anyone is. (I understand we get new people, and this isn't directed toward them -welcome aboard, new members!) Would it be too much to ask that if you are going to change your screen name that you PLEASE keep the name we all know you by in there somewhere??? Tedster changes screen names OFTEN, but he always keeps "Tedster" in there so I know who he is -which is good because I like Tedster and will go out of my way to read his posts when I see his name. This could apply to many of you too! Maybe we could cut down on the 'alter egos too'...? It's confusing to anyone who isn't 'IN' on your little 'in-joke', I'd appreciate it. [b]Second, Another request[/b] ([i]yes, another one)[/i]: Has anyone read the little blurb about 'Avatar size'? I really think this is an area where bigger ISN'T better. For me, it's merely annoying when you have five posts in a thread and your avatar takes up half my screen. But I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a broadband connection. People like, oh lets see, ummmm, [i]Craig Anderton[/i] are connecting with dial up modems and are maybe peaking at 33k... They get to download your image repeatedly. How FUN is that??? Let's try to get a handle on this if possible. Please??? [i][b]Okay. I'm done being an accountability jerk. I hope I still have some friends here.[/i][/b] [b]Third, My son likes "Hella Good":[/b] ([i]If you don't have little 'uns of your own, you'll probably not enjoy this too much -you have been warned.[/i]) So my son Ian (19mos) and I are out grabing a bite the other day at a local fast-food joint we enjoy, and over the sound system comes "Hella Good" by No Doubt. It's a pretty infectious groove, and although it gets a little repetitive, I really like it. Anyway, it's not very loud, and people are talking in the room but my son still hooked into it -I love it when he hears something he likes, it's SO COOL! Every time they punctuated the groove in the song with that 'SynTom' sound Ian would go "dooo"([i]like a syntom[/i]). I thought it was too cool. He REALLY seems to respond to music well. I hope he has the gift! I don't know if most babies/toddlers dance to music and respond to it at their own initiative, like Ian does. My guess is that most probably do. But just the same, I LOVE seeing music have an effect on him and I hope he develops a genuine passion and love for it. I'd never force it on him, but he will definitely find the path free of any obstruction, should he chose to take it... Anyway, I got a big kick out of Ian's "doooo" sound, and I HAD to share it with someone, and you were the ONLY group of people I thought would appreciate it on the levels that I do.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatchoooo talkin' bout Willis? The "Artist" currently known in some circles as Sylver. And, if you couldn't figure it out, check out the status to the left. It's a sure give away. I'm the only "Sylver Member"
I really don't know what to put here.

That's so cool. Keep feeding his brain. My Ian (5 yrs old now!), developed an interest very young. He started air guitaring at 2 (with my full size Hamer :eek: ) and has progressed from solid rhythms (he got up on stage with my little cover band on St. Patty's day and strummed along) to basic notes (he won't let me show him chords yet.) But the coolest thing yet was this weekend, I was working on a song in Reason, and had an 8 bar section looping while I tried melodies over it. He walked in, humming the melody, and then added a harmony to it. I know it wasn't "on purpose" but I also know that he's getting the fundamentals locked into his brain. It's exciting to see his mind expanding. Frank

Super-8! One of the "gigs-from-hell" that everyone complains about is the wedding gig. I love them for one reason: watching the little kids dance!!!! There's almost a sadness when you realize that these kids are doing what comes [i]naturally[/i] , its only when they become older and "peer pressure" comes into play, that they start to meter their response to something as primal as music. Enjoy watching your Ian dance! :thu: :thu: :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]For me, it's merely annoying when you have five posts in a thread and your avatar takes up half my screen.[/b][/quote]Ok,ok,I cut it down.Is this small enough? :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

My daughter is 2.5 years and she loves "Hey Baby" by No Doubt. EVERY time we get in the car its "hey baby gong"! (she is still working on her s's) She sings along and she dances a lot. It is great to see babies dance. There is no purer form of expression on the planet. No self conciouness, they just move to the music. When I baby sit, her and I dance to techno a lot. She digs it big time. Good thing for her, cause I gots volumes. I think she is definately showing an early interest and ability in music. She claps on beat and plays with my synths frequently. She is not afraid to tell me what she thinks of my stuff either. "I don't like that gong daddy"
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

[quote]Originally posted by White Chocolate/Ashley: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Swoop: [b]Poor, poor Ashley is so misunderstood. If anyone really knew her, they would know that she just needs a spanking.[/b][/quote]Finally. Someone [i]really[/i] understands me! :cry: :p :o [/b][/quote]I [i]told you[/i] I was the only one! ;)
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by Brakka.: [b][b]1:[/b] You've done that too [b]2:[/b] Yours breaks the size rules, too. [b]3:[/b] I love that song. [i]Doooo[/i] :wave: [/b][/quote]Okay, I see. I'm being 'holier than thou'... Sorry for giving off that impression. I DID once change my name to Scary 8 during the spooky season. But as you can see, it's still pretty close to Super 8 to help avoid confusion. I'm not complaining -by the way. I just like knowing who people are. I was unaware of the file size of my avatar. I will take it down and replace it with something small. I was ACTUALLY refering to the screen area size of the avatars. Some of them are big, but some are just HUGE. I can live with big. Actually I can live with HUGE too. I guess I did alude to the file size too, but I guess I was wrong about that. No big deal. I probably shouldn't have said anything. It's not my place to administrate. I was really only suggesting that some things might be getting out of hand. That doesn't mean that they are. It's just an opinion. Nobody is obligated to share it.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

That's great about your son. Children keep you honest. Maybe he'll grow up like mine. He used to dance in the car seat all the time, now he's plays drums, vibes, keyboards and whups me at golf. You have a lot to look forward to. Enjoy!!!!
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

[quote]There's almost a sadness when you realize that these kids are doing what comes naturally , its only when they become older and "peer pressure" comes into play, that they start to meter their response to something as primal as music. [/quote]That is so right on. It is also why dance music is so easy to sell to the masses. The groove gets you before the song does. Even babies are vulnerable. What is that old quote from the Dick Clark show, " I didn't like the song that much, but I'll give it a 75 cause it had a good beat."

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived