Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holiday gifts under $100 for audio/music geeks!

It's that time of the year! :D After seeing a magazine story from "another" audio/music publisher I thought we should start our own list of toys! I was quite disappointed in the magazine story as 90% of the gifts mentioned were in the $300-$500 price range. Call me Ms. Scrooge but if I have $500 I'm expanding MY studio! :D So... how about ideas for gifts under $100... Stuff your friends and family might be able to afford for YOU! :) I'll start: 1. Contor Shuttle Pro A/V DAW Controller: http://www.contouravs.com/cav_shuttlepro_info.html $80 on ebay $90-100 elsewhere 2. Books from Focal Press: [url=http://www.focalpress.com]www.focalpress.com[/url] 3. Subscription to Video Training CD.com : [url=http://www.vtc.com]www.vtc.com[/url] $25 a month... access to all their training materials including PT AND DP training. 4. Membership to the Audio Engineering Society Full Professional member $80... others less See: [url=http://www.aes.org]www.aes.org[/url] Discounts to Trade shows and REALLY good local meetings to learn and network 5. Hard drives! Who doesn't need them these days? :D More ideas? Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Effects pedals. I always have a million of these on my wish list. Patch cables. Sort of like the "socks" of musicians' gifts, but still necessary. Ear plugs. Not like I wear them. But they're cheap. Small percussion instruments. You can buy mini-congas, bongos, chimes, xylophones, shakers, steel drums, and all sorts of other stuff for under $100. Of course, I would specify the brand and model of each gift, to avoid getting a piece of crappy gear I would immediately return or toss in the "crappy gear" pile under the table. Thanks for the ideas. Sure beats getting another sweater.

It's difficult for musical laypeople to find the specialized stuff you may need, but every studio can use... An extra flashlight. Wire cutters. Batteries for tuners, etc. Paper for the printer. Blank CD-R's or CD-RW's. Lava lamp. Packing tape. Munchies. Sharpies.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Hookers and beer.....[/b][/quote]I don't want to know what kind of hookers (plural) and beer that one can get with $100 or less, and I don't think I [i]want[/i] to know. ;) How about an obvious one: GUITAR STRINGS! Always need 'em, never really have enough. Or, if you're Valky, a new trombone mouthpiece! :) - Jeff

Shop EBay for theremins for under $70 (and sometimes under $60). They are always there (the small blue boxy ones). Some go for more. Give the gift of love. Buy someone you love a theremin.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]...EBay ... theremins for under $60...small blue boxy ones...Give the gift of love.....[/b][/quote]Could you please delete your post and re-suggest this item in 1 days, 18 hours+?

[quote]Originally posted by Brakka.: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]...EBay ... theremins for under $60...small blue boxy ones...Give the gift of love.....[/b][/quote]Could you please delete your post and re-suggest this item in 1 days, 18 hours+?[/b][/quote]EBay ... theremins for under $60...small blue boxy ones...Give the gift of love.....only 23 hours and 17 minutes left....... Hey, they have sound samples, too, some of which automatically pop up when you go and visit the page. Imagine my surprise yesterday when i was theremin shopping for loved ones. Hopped on to an EBay page and suddenly: "UUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW OOOOOOOOMMMMMM..."

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]It's difficult for musical laypeople to find the specialized stuff you may need, but every studio can use... An extra flashlight. Wire cutters. Batteries for tuners, etc. Paper for the printer. Blank CD-R's or CD-RW's. Lava lamp. Packing tape. Munchies. Sharpies.[/b][/quote]Dan, you're on the same wavelength as me! :D I was going to suggest: [list] [*]Radio Shack db SPL meter, analog or digital: $40 - $60 I think. [*]A decent multimeter to check continuity and AC/DC voltages: $20 - $100+. [*]Soldering kit, including an adjustable heat iron or butane powered iron, rosin core solder, a solder sucker for desoldering, and an extra tip: under $50. [*]pro quality audio turnarounds (XLRm to XLRm, etc.): easily under $100 for plenty of them! (Tools we'd rather not spend $10 - $15 a piece for when we only need them occasionally. :rolleyes: [*]Contact cleaner and a set of horsehair paint brushes for proper cleaning of electronics. (NO CANNED AIR!!! :mad: ): $10. [*]A leak proof, spill proof cup for those drinks we're not [i]supposed[/i] to put near our gear... but do anyway! :D : $5 - $10 [/list]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]I thought MOST drummers wanted to block out the rest of the band. Like Ringo Starr. That guy sucks. :p [/b][/quote]You suck. Ringo was great! /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

If someone on your list wants a great scrolling controller for their DAW at a great low price ($45) then get them one of these babies: [img]http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/home_feature_pm.gif[/img] [url=http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/index.html]PowerMate[/url] I would like one if anyone is feeling generous! PC please... ;) - DJDM

Thre's tons of great / useful stuff for $100 or less. Oktava MC012's can be had at that price point. Of course the SM57 is always a welcome gift. :) An EBow can also be a nice toy for the guitarist on your list, as are strings, picks, guitar stands, slides, pickups and pedals. No one ever has enough cables, right? ;) Music and / or mic stands might be useful for some musicians. Sheet music is also appropriate, for those who read, as are music related books. Mini pratice amps such as the "little Smokies" can be useful for lots of recording musicians. MoPads are great for your nearfields to sit on. I'm sure I've repeated a bunch of stuff already mentioned (I guess I'd better read the whole thread now, right?) but with a little imagination, there's TONS of gifts available for musicians and recording types for under $100. And let's not forget the painfully obvious: A subscription to Keyboard, Guitar Player or EQ! :D

Radio Shack monitor system for $90. Get two RCA (previously called Optimus) 40s 1 RCA SA 155 Stereo Integrated Amp Proper Cables Set up time takes about 10 minutes and you`ll have another nice sounding monitor system. OK, its not the Mackies or Genelecs and its not supposed to either. I`ve gotten tremendous mixes from this little system and don`t mix without it. Best thing...its portable. Ernest

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]An EBow can also be a nice toy for the guitarist on your list[/b][/quote]Yeah! Get me a EBow! Neeeeeeee....Woooooooooooooo.....Raaaaaa.... (Did that sound like an EBow in your imagination? It did in mine.) - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Mats_Olsson: [b] [quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]I thought MOST drummers wanted to block out the rest of the band. Like Ringo Starr. That guy sucks. :p [/b][/quote]You suck. Ringo was great! /Mats[/b][/quote]There is no escaping. :D How bout a bag of your favorite guitar picks. headphones DB meter Boss pedal Stocking stuffers-xlr attenuators(20db,10db etc)

For the computer musician. Pentagon I from rgc:audio - $99 SampleTank ROMs from SonicReality - $59-$99(?) Refills for Reason - $35-$79 Expansion packs for Native Instrument's Battery - $72(?) Effects from OhmBoys - $70 for the mid grade FruityLoops - $99 for top version Oxygen 8 almost fits into the price range. For the computer, studio, keyboard rig or anyone else with lots of cables. Pinstripe tape or any colored tape is useful for marking cables when you are playing in a band. Each member gets a color. Ideal White Marker Booklet - Found at electrical supply stores. It is a book of numbered or lettered strips you use to wrap around wires and cables. Combine strips to create labels with multiple digits or letters on each end of a cable. Great when organizing MIDI and sound cables. Velcro tape or strips. I picked up a pack of Velcro strips at Wal-Mart when cleaning up my mess. These are handy for gigging keyboardists because they are quick and easy to use when binding cables to stands. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1. A hearing test, it is good to have a check-up once in a while. 2. Give stomp-box Craig a raise so that he can get ADSL. 3. Some cool useless gadgets from Funk-Logic. 4. A Gerber multi-tool. 5. Form-fitted hearing protectors. 6. Gift certificate for a massage. 7. Coffee grinder. 8. A small ad in a magazine. 9. Liquor. 10. A night at the opera. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Gotta second (and third) blank CDs and other media, magazine subscriptions, and cables. Also, I'll add: Presonus or Art tube pres RAM Some cool drum sample CD One of Craig Anderton's cool books A bunch of sharpies Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [b] [quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]Weird?!? This thread is now scrolling horizontally, for some reason. I don't see any large pics or long URL links. Anyone else notice this? It was fine when I posted my list... hmmm???[/b][/quote]It's Ken's impression of a Theremin that threw off the whole thread... :) [/b][/quote]Okaaaaaaaaay, I'll fix it!!!! Oooooooooeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Archived