Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a new junky computer!! whoohoo!

hahah. my friend gave me a mobo w/onboard video and sound i think, a 366 celeron :( , a floppy, a 1.0gig hd :( , and some connecting cables. sweet. that's better than what i have now. that's pretty sad. :D anyways, i need a case, power supply, ram, another hd, burner... and that's it, right?!? the mobo has 5 pci, 2 memory things (i think DIMMS), 2 usb, it's slot configuration, and it's dirty. any case/power supply/ram/HD/burner reccomendations? OT: does software affect sound quality? would n-track vs. Sonar be a lot different? or is it all just mastering/effects? or is it hardware?? thanks guys for putting up with this financially-challenged neophyte! :D :wave:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a 366 celeron wont do much of anything in the audio world. maybe some 2 track editing, but thats about it i am afraid. sonar is way too fat to run on that thing. a P3 500 is a start, that'll run a few more tracks and maybe a couple plug ins. ever use a 7100/80 mac? it sucks, and its about what a 366 celeron is track wise. i could run 4 16bit tracks on a 7100/80. if ya wanna run such a slow processer i suggest getting a mac. a g3/400 is a great setup, and can run 16+ 24 bit tracks with about 8-20 plug ins.

Unfortunately, a 366 Celeron would be able to open the program, but there's not enough power to actually DO anything with it. I very recently upgraded from a 600 Celeron for just that reason; it could run the programs I wanted, but I wouldn't be able to use them for anything, except running a MIDI track. BTW, if you're curious as to what I upgraded to, it's an Xplio 2000 laptop, with a 2.0 GB Celeron, 256 Mb of RAM (might get more, yet), and a 30Gb drive. Still not the best for pro-audio, but it'll run ACIDpro 4.0 really well when it arrives on Tuesday... Cheers! Spencer
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Your mobo will limit you on how high you can upgrade your CPU. Check with the mobo manufacturer web site and/or tech support. Try and get a Pentium and not a Celeron if you want to use plugins. Plugins are like effects you can put on a track, like compression, reverb, EQ, etc. You mobo sounds really old and you may have problems finding CPU and memory for it. Anyway, check out [url=http://www.newegg.com]NewEgg.com[/url] for PC parts. Their prices are pretty low - especially the specials they run. Good luck!

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

but this is waht i'm thinking. tell me guys if this is a bad idea: buy case/power supply, ram, and HD. that way i'll have at least a functional computer that's fast enough to run n-track. not well, but enough to just record 3 tracks w/no plugins. i have practically NO money. tuition is expensive :( so case $60, ram $50 (regular SD), and HD $70. at the most $200, right? and after i get some more cash, i could ditch the crappy mobo and celeron and get something nicer. and since i have case, HD and some ram, i could just add on the mobo and processor, sound card, burner, and some more ram. i have a friend that could do the assembling and stuff. bad idea? too much hassle? too much work? give it to me straight! :D

find some ram for free or $25. $50 is way too high for an old pc. look in dumpsters. look in a lot of dumpsters. you'll be horribly suprised with how many pc's youll pull out of dumpsters. go behind used computer stores and look in the dumpsters. they tend to smash the junk they toss, but often its just cosmetic damage and the stuff is ok. i havent spent ONE DIME on pc stuff, but i have spent time dis-assembling about 25 or so computers i find in the trash and rebuilding them. grab all the hard drives, ram, cpu's, power supplies, and other things you may want (ethernet cards, ide controllers, vga etc) get all these parts and start building. you'll find a case if ya look hard enough. gett'em going and see what they do. have fun. learn. enjoy. then when ya gett'it all figured out, THEN spend money on a nice ATX case ($50 with power supply), new MOBO, ram etc. i still have a couple of garbage computers running around here doing odd stuff. one runs my lexicon processor because there is no mac software for that. total cost for garbage computer with monitor: $0 total cost for 266P2 w/MOBO and 128mb ram: $0. added new hd for $20 (20 gig EIDE). ended up in ATX case $50. hell on ebay ya can get a running system with a P3/600 for around $100 THAT would do some stuff. cool edit pro runs really well on a P3. oh, by the way, I HATE PC'S AND WINDOWS. i just have to use them and build them a lot. i think they are junk and there is a reason they are found in the dumpster: they are garbage. my whole life the only mac i ever saw in the garbage was a system 6 moldy oldy. someonw took it out and is using it now, no idea for what. ya just never see macs in the garbage. heck, ya know i see 7100/80's on ebay for $20 all the time. find a digidesign nubus card and YOUR SET. 4 tracks/16bits total cost $50 or so. oh, i HATE 7100/80 macs. i still have a large bald spot on my head from when i had to use that abysmal peice of crap (pulled me hair out good!!!) but you can get a 8600/300 for around $150. that would get you about 14 solid tracks with some plugs. upgrade the HD and CPU and ya get 20+ 24bit tracks and quite a #of plugs. ya got a lot of options, just dont spend money on crappy pc's. find them in the trash, then when your done with them, put them back in the trash.

Don't spend a cent on that junker. [url=http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/homeentertainment.htm]CyberPowerSystems[/url] will sell you a 1.67Ghz Athlon system with 256M RAM and a 40G HD for only $435. That's enough system to get a decent if somewhat low track count out of Sonar. I repeat, don't spend a dime on trying to salvage old computer technology! Throw it away and save up for a real 'puter! Yours in Music, Ben Fury

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

Archived