Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE ALL IN ONE UNIT vs. MULTIPLE UNITS

I just realized within the last 5 years we have seem some manufacturers produce these channel strips: Avalon 737 Manley VoxBox AMEK UA 6176 I own one of these and am thinking about getting another but I was wondering what you all prefer and if the prices were the same for a Distressor, Avalon M5 pre and Massenburg EQ, would you still get one of these all in one units? I like to know that when I need something everyhting is all there in front of me in one unit and yet sometimes I feel that these all in one units are cutting corners in some places. For example I love my 737 but i feel like the compressor got the short end compared to the EQ and pre. From what I have heard about the Manley VoxBox, the De esser got the short end. Anyway, what do you all think and what would you rather have (lets say you money was not an option)... on of these All in one units (737, voxBox, Amek, 7176 or a Distressor/M5/Massenburg EQ Ernest

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the Origin. It's a very nice piece. You get a preamp only out and a full path output. The API 7600 is another with an even more versatile i/o setup. It has the 212L mic pre, the 225L compressor, and the [b]550A[/b] eq. The best part is that there is separate i/o for each component so you can patch them individually if you so choose.

Ernest, if money wasn't an issue, dedicated seperate components is probably a more versitile, higher quality approach. However, there is something to be said about these (higher-end) 'all in one' units where you don't really lose as much signal quality through seperate external interconnectivity (RF, faulty cables, etc,) and the internal components of the 'all in one units' processes are generally more evenly matched or 'gain structured'.
In two days, it won't matter.

I've used the Origin quite a bit and love it. I don't feel there's a compromise in it at all. I've also been using their Twincom Compressor which has the same exact compressor as in the Origin. No compromise as far as I know. EQ in the Origin is also very nice. Pre goes without saying.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived