Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

McCartney is an embarassment

[quote] ($80.00 dollars for NOSE-BLEED seats? $300 for the floor? How much more money does a billionaire need?) [/quote][b]McDonald's has made BILLIONS so does it mean their hamburgers should be free now???[/b] [quote] The whole "let's wave the American flag" trick is the oldest one in the book, and shows what little class McCartney has left. [/quote]I've mentioned it before on these forums, but I'll say it again; Paul McCartney was a passenger on an airplane at JFK Airport in New York that was scheduled for take off when the World Trade Towers were under attack. By orders of National Security ALL planes were grounded. Paul was in NEW YORK and locked inside of a plane for hours to witness the WTC and also is VERY AWARE that his plane could have just as easily been one that was in the air and hijacked. Paul McCartney is genuine in honoring America and always has been. Perhaps you should have visited his web site post WTC attacks to read some of his heart felt condolences and tributes to America. He didn't receive a dime for expressing his humble gratitude to the Americans for all they have done for him. Call it cheeZy if you must, but, McCartney has got CLASS.... THAT IS [b]SIR PAUL[/b] to you Mister!

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey mbl: If you had been reading this forum for very long you would have known that the correct title for your thread was: [b]How long has Paul McCartney sucked?[/b] The tone of your posts is just so vile and petty that people reacted accordingly. I think Paul McCartney is one of THE most humble people in the music biz. He is a super talented, super nice guy. Unfortunately if you stay around here you'll be branded as [i]The Guy Who Hates Paul McCartney.[/i]. I suggest you re-register with a different name and refrain from trashing rock legends.

[quote]Originally posted by pauldil: [b][QUOTE] I used to know everything when I was 23, too, but that was 23 years ago :) Paul[/b][/quote]Now that's a subject worthy of 4 pages of dialog. That is quite an interesting and strange phenomenom what happens to the human mind where you think you know it all when young, but know nothing, then as you get older you know you dont know shit. :D
In two days, it won't matter.

Man-It's odd that so many responding here STILL don't get where I'm coming from. I'm not putting down The Beatles or sixties music, so stop defending what I'm not attacking. I AM putting down Paul McCartney's corporate/sell-out/phoney oldies show, and the silly FIXATION so many seem to have with the sixties. I WILL NOT be lining up in 30 yrs to see any of today's musicians pull similar bullshit. All of you here are musicians, and "creative" people. It should be about pushing the creativity level FORWARD, not BACKWARD. Wallowing in an era that was over more than 30 years ago in definitely moving BACKWARD. It's like that old story "The Emperor's New Clothes". For those of you familiar with it, I feel like the little boy who was the only one that would say that the emperor was naked. And once again, I did not start this topic to draw attention to myself or just to yank everybody's chains. I feel I have a valid point, and an important one. Also, thanks to however posted that link to the Curt Cobain interview. (I had never read it. I was probably in Jr. High when it came out.) Before you start blindly attcking my opinions (or AGE), at least read my posts carefully enough to understand what I'm putting down and not putting down...

[quote]Originally posted by mbl: [b]Man-It's odd that so many responding here STILL don't get where I'm coming from. I'm not putting down The Beatles or sixties music, so stop defending what I'm not attacking. I AM putting down Paul McCartney's corporate/sell-out/phoney oldies show, and the silly FIXATION so many seem to have with the sixties. I WILL NOT be lining up in 30 yrs to see any of today's musicians pull similar bullshit. All of you here are musicians, and "creative" people. It should be about pushing the creativity level FORWARD, not BACKWARD. Wallowing in an era that was over more than 30 years ago in definitely moving BACKWARD. It's like that old story "The Emperor's New Clothes". For those of you familiar with it, I feel like the little boy who was the only one that would say that the emperor was naked. And once again, I did not start this topic to draw attention to myself or just to yank everybody's chains. I feel I have a valid point, and an important one. Also, thanks to however posted that link to the Curt Cobain interview. (I had never read it. I was probably in Jr. High when it came out.) Before you start blindly attcking my opinions (or AGE), at least read my posts carefully enough to understand what I'm putting down and not putting down...[/b][/quote]Yeah you have a valid point and you're full of shit. There's a lot of people here, including me, that are into pushing the envelope. You think we're not aware of the corporatization of music? We've been all over, up and down that topic but, gee thanks for pointing it out. So you don't like McCartney's show, big deal, music is a very subjective thing. Quit trying to slam your tastes down our throats. Now get out of here before I spank you.

[quote]Originally posted by mbl: ...the silly FIXATION so many seem to have with the sixties...[/quote]A valid point...??? [b]YOU'VE[/b] decided that people attending concerts, that are put on by musicians from the 60's, is nothing more than a [b]FIXATION[/b]...and that it's all just a [b]corporate/sell-out/phony oldies show[/b]... ...and because [b]YOU’VE[/b] decided…therefore it's a valid point...??? Go on...keep sticking that foot deeper into your mouth...go on... You know...I hear and see more [b]corporate/sell-out/phony shows[/b] from today's artists than I do from the old guard. MOST of today's "new, fresh, young" musicians are selling out from [b]day one[/b]... ...so please go peddle your “valid point” somewhere else. Yes, most of the old guard is out there for nostalgic reasons...BECAUSE...people want to still hear/see them...otherwise, why would people still pay $300 a seat if everyone thought it was just a rip-off…like you do. You don't have to go see them...so why is it bothering you so much that MANY people do. I am really getting convinced that subconsciously...it is some form of "jealousy thing" with you. Man...just let it fucking go. McCartney and MANY others from the 60's already paid their dues... …they don't need to do it again just to win your approval…and that’s why IT DOES make a difference if you were around in the 60’s… … cuz’ you would then understand this point…and still respect them…even if they are just doing an “oldies show”.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

hmm I'm 41 years old and I think I get what he's saying. There is a large group of folks who blindly worship 'classic' rock. Who have turned rock into classical music i.e. you need these instruments, and this type of equipment to record it and so on. This is the exact opposite of what the music was like when it was being invented. From Sun to Motown to the Beatles they all used new instruments and equipment. Also comparing J-lo to the Beatles is like comparing 1910 Fruitgum company to Count Basie. The fact that this thread has cause so many of you to react with vicious anger should tell you that he has touched on some truth.

Hey Geoff: Thanks-I'm glad SOMEONE has taken the time to read what I have said and thought about the point I'm making without just blindly attacking me. Yes, from your post above I can tell you definitely get where I'm coming from. (There IS hope for the human race after all...) :D

[quote]Originally posted by geoffk: ...There is a large group of folks who blindly worship 'classic' rock...[/quote]Yes...but there are "large groups who blindly worship"...a LOT of the current music that's out there. SO...WHAT'S THE POINT...??? And...why attack McCartney and a lot of the 60's "icons". The whole point of making commercial music is…FOR THE FANS...AND...if there are FANS out there who are "blindly worshipping" you...then...I guess you must have something they want to hear. So...why does that bother some people...why is that being criticized? The only “truth” the MBL touched on is the fact the he (and some people) want to be the ones to decide which music and artists are valid and…and which are not… Seems to me that some of you are criticizing the FANS for liking their music heroes…and paying to go see them play in concert. Boy…that’s pretty fucking lame… …especially when it’s coming from someone that probably hasn’t done ANYTHING musically notable, and I think this is where the snootiness really lies… …these are the people the end up saying…”you need these instruments, and this type of equipment to record it and so on”…not the McCartney’s of the world.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

[quote]Originally posted by mbl: [b] It should be about pushing the creativity level FORWARD, not BACKWARD. [/b][/quote]Who are you to say what [i][b]"IT"[/b][/i] should be about? I, for one, like to do a little of both.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by mbl: [b]I AM putting down Paul McCartney's corporate/sell-out/phoney oldies show,[/b][/quote]and i am putting you down as an idiot for saying that makes perfect sense [b] and the silly FIXATION so many seem to have with the sixties. [/b]you are the one who has the fixation with the sixties since he has obviously been making music continuously for every decade since [b]I WILL NOT be lining up in 30 yrs to see any of today's musicians pull similar bullshit. [/b]then you must not feel any of todays music worth hearing again [b]people. It should be about pushing the creativity level FORWARD, not BACKWARD. Wallowing [/b]name someone who has pushed music forward more than paul mccartney [b]story "The Emperor's New Clothes". For those of you familiar with it, I feel like the little boy who was the only one that would say that the emperor was naked. [/b]not only does the emperor have clothes he made them himself and he has many garments to choose from that he is not wearing the one you like and charging money for it is the problem you are fixated on the notion that perhaps your own generation has not produced a talent on the level of mccartney [b]everybody's chains. I feel I have a valid point, and an important one. Also, thanks to [/b]you have a point of view not a point [b]least read my posts carefully enough to understand what I'm putting down and not putting down...[/b]you have just made clear you are aware you are putting someone down and are not open to the idea that others wish to defend the person you are putting down and then you are proclaiming loudly that those people are not being understanding because they do not agree with you which is also an immature position to take if it is not then there is only one word to describe it idiotic.

[quote]Originally posted by tazzola: [b]Heh, if this mbl person is so pissed at Sir Paul, he should experience a mouthful of that fucked up Bralalalala dude! [/b][/quote]And you HAVE experienced a mouth full of Brlalalala? Hmmm, interesting ...(Mental note: do NOT pick up the soap around Tazz)
I really don't know what to put here.

About the expensive tickets, Do you guys ever know that in Japan, John Lennon did a Commercial for a Japanese coffee company in 2000? I doubt Yoko Ono wanted the money to buy herself some fancy clothes. But, I wonder why she let them do that. We would never know. In the year, in Japan, near Tokyo, A museum called John Lennon museum was built. Guess she might've needed some money for it. It was a cool commericial, though. (Not supid unlike the commericials Hollywood statrs do) I guess rich people need more money because they are rich.

BY GEORGE, I' GOT IT.... the band name gives it away [b]"The Effective Trolls"[/b] :confused: :confused: :confused: MBL registered in November of 2002, shortly after the NIXING of Sir Bralalalala.... OH MY GOSH!!!! Bralalalala has been BORN AGAIN!!! Reincarnated under the stage name of MBL. This time he is not trying to prove that HE/SHE is GOD... he/she's trying to prove that NOBODY else is any good and/or worthy of recognition. (Speaking from the mind of a Bralalalal...) "ahhhhh yes, let's pick a legend to put down and see if we can start a flame topic over in Craig's house, hehehehe, then 'I' can tell EVERYBODY how great 'I' am... [b]I wonder if McCartney would let my band, "The Effective Trolls" open for him? Naw, he knows we'd blow him off the stage... [/b] " The point of view is about the same and the level of reasoning is also about the same.... hmmmmm, there is a peculiar similarity here. MBL is right about EVERYTHING and he is just SO misunderstood. :D The misunderstood logic goes hand in hand with Bralalalala; just might be one in the same.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Who the hell is Bralalala? I keep seeing references to him/her. I presume this is someone who pissed everyone off earlier on this same forum. You can rest assured we are two different people...

ANIFA- You have to read the related thread "MBL is an embarrassment" to understand why mbl (jokingly) calls his band "The Effective Trolls". I guess you have to bounce back and forth between topics now to keep up with this guy... :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by geoffk: [b]hmm I'm 41 years old and I think I get what he's saying. There is a large group of folks who blindly worship 'classic' rock. Who have turned rock into classical music i.e. you need these instruments, and this type of equipment to record it and so on. This is the exact opposite of what the music was like when it was being invented. From Sun to Motown to the Beatles they all used new instruments and equipment. Also comparing J-lo to the Beatles is like comparing 1910 Fruitgum company to Count Basie. The fact that this thread has cause so many of you to react with vicious anger should tell you that he has touched on some truth.[/b][/quote]Well, that's an interesting viewpoint, but that's NOT what the initial post was about. MBL did not say, "You guys are all nuts because you think you need a Hofner Beatles Bass to make a good record." He didn't need to say it, because no one thinks like that. - If you want to slam someone, slam old-fashioned engineers who think that you can't make a record without a J-bass. For the record, classic rock is NOT worshipped. If someone doesn't like the Beatles or the Stones or Zep, who cares? Personally, I only like one of the three, but I still recognize the contributions of the others, so I don't spew Mick Sucks! posts all over the internet. Plenty of threads have bashed Bob Dylan over the course of this forum, for instance. If MBL had said, "You guys are too stuck on classic rock" or "I've tried to listen, but I just hate the Beatles," no harm would have been done, and an interesting discussion could have followed. Instead, the guy clearly bashed McCartney as being a has-been sell-out who charges too much for tickets even though he hasn't written a good song since 1970. Please don't insult us further by candy coating this thoughtless bit if rubbish and pawning it off as an insightful criticism of popular music. However, you do make a good point. There was a discussion on five- and six-string basses a while back, and someone said something like (I'm paraphrasing), "My bassist doesn't see the need to add another string. McCartney didn't need one." They completely missed the point that McCartney, Jamerson, Entwistle, Townshend, Hendrix, etc. were all embracing the cutting edge technology of the day and using it to make great new music that could not have been make WITHOUT that technology. If McCartney or Jamerson had been traditionalists and said, "Oh, I don't need one of those new electric basses. Ray Brown never needed one," the rock and roll phenomenon would have sounded a LOT different. Amplification and overdrive and huge concert venues would not have been possible, because no one would have been able to hear the low end if the classic rockers had plunked out their songs on upright. That insight, I'll grant you, and it's a good one. But MPL alluded to no such thing in his original attack on Beatle Paul.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Anifa, I was thinking the same thing in reference to Bralalalala. (S)he had this thing about corporate types, remember? If McCartney is a Scottish name, and were he to wear a kilt on stage, and you had kept up with your meds and all... MyBraLalalala, MyBraLalalala, I want you to play with MyBralalala. "Oh, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." "He not busy being born Is busy dyin'." "I've been in trouble ever since I set my suitcase down." MBL, when you set your suitcase down here, you decided to spill its envious contents all over the floor. I know the feeling of seeing, for example, professional wrestlers getting more for one ringside seat than I make for a whole gig, but, you know, they work hard at what they do, even though I find their schlock repulsive. My wife and daughter used to just love them. I'm sure that you know what you like and it isn't Paul. You know those bumper stickers that say "If it ain't country, it ain't music."? Well, that's where you seem to be coming from. You have defined what constitutes good music and anything that is ill-fitting to that definition sucks. I don't like most modern country, but I know there's some masterful stuff out there. I think it was Larry Coryell who said "There's two kinds of music, good and bad." I didn't dip into this thread at first, as I thought it might be just what it turned out to be, a bash fest. There's lots of dreck and drivel out there, you just won't find many who would put Paul in that box. Hypercritical cynics will always have an audience, but Ticketmaster usually doesn't handle their tours.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Boy....you sure sound like my 22 yr old son. Can't explain what he is talking about, just talks in circles. He likes work so much, he can stand next to it all day long. [quote]I AM putting down Paul McCartney's corporate/sell-out/phoney oldies show,[/quote]corporate.....yes when your that big of a star, corporations tend to handle the affairs of the commodity that is famous, young, old, yesterdays stars or todays stars that can feed that corporate kitty called promotors, advertizers, record companies with big bucks. Do you understand the music business??? I really don't think that you do....I can tell by the way your flapping your jaw here. sell-out......yes it was a sellout, because people do like him, his talant, his showmanship and his love for a country that he was able to spring board from. If he had 3 shows in the same place one after another, they probably be sold out too. Do you expect him to do these for free. He might be giving a lot of money to charities and the like? Who knows. phoney oldies show.....What is so phoney about an oldies show anywhere? EXPLAIN!!! What are you calling "PHONEY".........expensive, he is throwing his voice, someone else is singing and playing for him without the audience knowing, someone is tricking us...someone is behind the curtian??? What in the hell are you talking about. Do you know? [quote]and the silly FIXATION so many seem to have with the sixties.[/quote]That is when a lot of good music hit the air waves my friend that is still being played today, on comercials etc. It was progressive back in those days, including the gear that was used, and how it was used......I didn't see any backward use of equipment that was used on stage when this show had taken place, maybe his guitar.....but wouldn't you like to own his original guitar. You couldn't afford it. Like there is no market for B-3 sounds, or a mini-moog sound in the music business today. One min. you state that you are not bashing the 60's yet in the same breath you say people are having a "silly FIXATION with the 60's" Just like my son talking in circles again. Afraid to go back 30 years and use that as a reference for today's music? There are samples that have scratch sounds on them to make CD's sound like a old vinyl records! Is this a silly FIXATION with that type of sound, or the people that want to use them? I understand that to be progressive one must be creative and use the skills, equipment, tools and knowledge of today. But that is not the point of an oldie show. His music sounds good even if he played it himself without anyone else playing on a yuke. Which he did by the way. Maybe the "so many" people never picked up an instrument, can't sing a note in any pitch without cracking glass, was with a gal on a beach and claimed one of the Beatles songs was "Theirs to remember forever". Oh Hum! Who the hell knows......it's an outlet for all of those reasons to go and see a Legend in real life. Not everyone in the audience plays guitar, drums, bass, sings, can keep time or look good on stage. Maybe they saved up all of their money to see one concert for the year. Maybe people came from all over the world to see him in person. I'm not stupid to say otherwise. [quote]I WILL NOT be lining up in 30 yrs to see any of today's musicians pull similar bullshit. [/quote]How will you know that......maybe some chick that you will be going with has a different opinion, will get you to go to one, or you won't get any! Or maybe there are no good groups that is in your genre that can claim this prize nowdays for you to see later. Why are you calling this "bullshit"? The only bullshit is what you are spouting about that you youself don't yet understand. [quote]All of you here are musicians, and "creative" people.[/quote]How do you know this?? "ALL?" I could bet you that some of the people that read these threads can't create anything but follow others like sheep! That is why people, if that is what you can call us, visit these sites to get insite, help and to be helpfull to those that need it, why are you here? [quote]It should be about pushing the creativity level FORWARD, not BACKWARD.[/quote]Now here is where I'm stumped again when you speak.......how can you push creativity backwards. It was already created....that's "history". Forward has nothing to do with history.....unless you are in a time warp. So you are saying Paul is creative and you would like to see him create something new musically? He's thinking about it! [quote]Wallowing in an era that was over more than 30 years ago in definitely moving BACKWARD. [/quote]Wallowing............? Are you saying people are backward when thay view something that is 30 years old? Is it like owning an old car that you drive once and a while called a classic car. Or like the TV shows that show you how to chop the roof down on a roadster? Is that what you consider wallowing back in time, or is it a novelty? Where did you go to school? You studied math......are you backward because you learned how to add and subtract with 30 other students on a subject that is older than all of us? I bet you would learn pretty quick if you had to find out if you are getting hosed on a paycheck. Were you wallowing around in school and taking up space? Just because people go to one concert doesn't constitute wallowing. These people do have a life too......how do I know this? Their car is a dead give away! Come on, you hated history in school right? Please don't be offended......but you do sound like my son! In fact both of them. I drove up to a hamberger joint's drive up window one time, gave my order....the kid behind the glass asked if it was for here or to go!!!! :freak: Enough has been said from me. You are intitled to your opinion like me, that is what makes this country so great. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind about this subject that you started. In fact you will see later on in life when you are fifty or so that the importance is in making the best of what you have, having and giving respect, having a good paying job that you can face your employer when you receive your paycheck, respect your elders because you will be one someday yourself, and to look back in time of those times that made you happy. Please have a good day and give it some thought. That's all most of us are saying to you. There are others here that will think the same way that you do too. So don't feel bad about this thread, it's only talk. But the next time you have an opinion state it as one and maybe you will get more respect. ;) Someday you will get the picture. My fade-out........... Jazzman :cool:

[quote] Anifa, I was thinking the same thing in reference to Bralalalala. (S)he had this thing about corporate types, remember? [/quote]Yes Henry, I do remember the corporate garbaaaaaaaaaaggggggge that Bralalalala was rambling on about; funny that MBL continues to emphasize "corporate icons." Maybe it's just a trait (or an attitude) that we OLD FOLKS have handed to our youth; they've NEVER HAD TO WORK FOR ANYTHING so they do NOT appreciate or respect the contributions made by MENTORS in society. Whether this guy is Bralalalala or not; he is of the same mindset. It's one thing to be ignorant about a subject, but............ sigh.......... you've got to be willing to learn something or at least realize when you are out numbered. When you already know everything there is to know about anything that ever was; there's NOTHING you can learn. History :confused: The only history this guy wants to know is his-story..... Kind of like Bralalalala.

If, like so many state, we are all entitled to our opinions, then it should be left to that. I usually prefer an informed opinion, but how rare IS that? Incidentally, MAC-Cartney would be Scottish. But say what you want about McCartney, the fact that he can fill such huge venues, no matter what the price, says something about his longevity at a level that eludes many others who were almost as big way back when. I occasionally head over the Ambassador Bridge to go casino gambling. At one time, they had appearances by Peter Noone, Davey Jones and Gary Puckett(not at the same time). The room they played barely holds a hundred people. Several of them old '60's rockers are making the casino circuit. And Paul still fills stadiums. Can't knock that! And one of the constantly returning acts that sells out fast is a group that calls themselves The Caverners! Doing a Beatles impersonation! I have a 24 year old nephew who's seen them three times already, and just LOVES the tunes. But, MLB(MBL?), if you think Paul is simply cashing in on the past, you may have a point. After all, he's doing far more Beatles material now than he's ever done before. And curiously enough, after both John AND george have passed. Yes, I got your point. Even now, while typing all this crap, I'm listening to a group called Lifehouse on Leno. Not too shabby. Even though the vocalist sounds too much like the guy from Creed. But the song got a good framework, and they were all acoustic. So yes, I like a lot of new stuff. And I still like the old '60's stuff. I also have a collection of music from the '50's, '40's AND '30's. Foo Fighters? Haven't heard the new CD, so I can't comment. But some of the earlier stuff I've heard was pretty good. And some of it sucked. But of all the albums and CD's I own or have owned, there are probably four where all the tunes are likeable. So, take that how you like. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I think that perhaps the reason I get so bent out of shape by guys like McCartney is that I expect too much from them. Yes, he wrote some great, classic music. Yes, he was (or portrayed himself as) a hip, left-field artist. Why couldn't have just stuck to his guns? What about the whole "hippie/ all you need is love/counterculture/revolution" thing? That is so opposite to what he is now. He is so very DISAPPOINTING. Didn't he mean ANY of it? Why can't he be the iconoclast that John and George were? (Or Curt Cobain for that matter?) Especially with George, we had a person who seemed to rise above the phoney show-biz schtick that Paul embraces. I most definitely admire(and aspire to be) the type of person Geroge and John were...

kurt wanted to make money like everyone else he did not have to be on a major label if he did not want to be the only band that can claim to have really thumbed their nose to the corporations is fugazi no one else everyone sells out just by charging anything at all if it takes that to get him to come out and play that is better than him not playing live at all he does not have to charge anything at all but at the same time if there is anyone alive on the planet whose music deserves a big ticket it would be him

[quote]Originally posted by mbl: [b]I wonder if McCartney would let my band, "The Effective Trolls" open for him? Naw, he knows we'd blow him off the stage... :D [/b][/quote]Your bands name says it all. But I do agree with you on one point: [b]You[/b] would have to [b]give[/b] someone a [b]blowjob[/b] before someone might even think about [b]letting your band[/b] get [b]on[/b] the [b]stage:)[/b]

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

---HEY JOTOWN--- If you want to express an opinion that's opposite mine, I invite you to do so. To insult me with foul-mouth posts like the one above accomplishes nothing but make yourself look bad. I refuse to get into a name-calling duel with you. The whole "Effective Trolls" as a band name is a joke based on an earlier reply on the "mble is an embarrassment" thread on this same forum... :freak:

Jotown-GROW UP! Or at least wait until you either have something to say on a particular subject, rather than wasting forum space with childish insults. Do you have anything intelligent to say on this subject? If so, let's hear it... :rolleyes:

Archived