Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aerosmith vs. ???

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Compact Diss: [b]They are still in the game after more than 30 years! I don't who else holds any record close to this...[/b][/quote]Um... have you ever heard of the Strolling Bones? :cool: I think they must be approaching nearly forty years in the business.
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]The Stones started out in '63 or '64. They have 10 years on Aerosmith.[/b][/quote]Beat my post by 1 min! :)
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

NRBQ (New Rhythm And Blues Quartet).... founded 1967 in Miami. (Best childhood friend is Johnny, the gee-tarist) Does that make them 2nd place? :freak:

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

[quote]Originally posted by Rowan: [b]Have you seen Keith Richards recently? :freak: [/b][/quote]Yeah,he looks as about as good as Steven Tyler without makeup.Thank god neither wears a dress,at least I haven't seen them...........
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

No way are they the greatest band ever. Maybe longest lasting,but nowhere near best. I have an uncle who saw them play live in Dallas with his band.They were laughin it up. He said it was just terrible. They couldn't pull it off live. Some of the bands that are still together that are better (in my opinion) then Aerosmith are U2, Tom Petty, and the Eagles. The Who is somewhere in there,except that the next time they go on tour it's only gonna be Daltrey. Does Boston count? Half their members are gone. Haven't heard recent stuff,but back in the day.....

[quote]Originally posted by Compact Diss: [b]these guys have got ot be the greatest rock and roll band ever. They are still in the game after more than 30 years! I don't who else holds any record close to this. True rock legends.[/b][/quote]I always thought they sucked. But then again, it's all subjective isn't it?
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Rowan: [b]Have you seen Keith Richards recently? :freak: [/b][/quote]Yeah,he looks as about as good as Steven Tyler without makeup..[/b][/quote]They'll probably outlive all of us. As its been said, 'what doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger'.
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]The Stones started out in '63 or '64. They have 10 years on Aerosmith.[/b][/quote]I see what you're saying, but Aerosmith has all of the original members. For me, each incarnation of the Stones has kind of been a different band. Are there any other bands kicking around w/ all original members that have been around as long as Aerosmith? And that are still at the same level of popularity? I'm curious, I can't think of any right off the bat...

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]The Stones started out in '63 or '64. They have 10 years on Aerosmith.[/b][/quote]I see what you're saying, but Aerosmith has all of the original members. For me, each incarnation of the Stones has kind of been a different band. Are there any other bands kicking around w/ all original members that have been around as long as Aerosmith? And that are still at the same level of popularity? I'm curious, I can't think of any right off the bat...[/b][/quote]Well, Aerosmith had a period with no Joe Perry (3-4 years, I believe) and had quite a few 'lean' years. -Neil Young and Crazy Horse is pretty much all the original members except Danny Whitten, who died of a herion OD very early on.

[quote][i]Compact Diss opined:[/i] [b]nevermind that Aerosmith has put out major hits in the last ten years[/b][/quote]With songwriters like Desmond Child and Diane Warren (!!), I should f*cking hope so! Gimme a break! Poof! Your point just vaporized in a cloud of smoke. :D
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

True, no accounting for taste. Aerosmith certainly are American rock royalty. I think they moved from Rock to Pop after they straightened up. I like the early stuff, but their power ballads are a real drag. I liked Jaded. To me it sounded oddly like XTC. Love the NRBQ nomination, but without Big Al, I'm not so sure.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I like Aerosmith. Heck, I used to wear an Aerosmith t-shirt in 8th grade (1976)like it was a uniform. My only complaint is songs like, 'Amazing', 'Crying', 'What it Takes', etc. all sound the same, like formula songs. Us old dudes call them 'Aerosmooth'.

While their long standing persistance in the rock world certainly deserves recognition, it is not Aerosmith that keeps the machine going, it is management and record label, pumping huge piles of money into publicity and advertizing, which has turned them into another media hit machine. they haven't written a hit in over a decade really. They are indeed a great band, how have stood the test of time through thick thin and major drug and alcohol addiciton and come out the other side. However IMHO they are just another pawn in the big corporate machines playing board. I'd dearly love to se them say f*ck you guys, we're gonna do and AEROSMITH record this time, but I just don't think that's gonna happen. FWIW, I am a hardcore Bostonian, (actually I live about 10 minutes from Joe Perry, and often see him around town) and have been a fan since my teens.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

There are four words that are the reason why Aerosmith are still popular: "John Kalodner" and "Run DMC". Remember that in the mid-80s, Aerosmith were washed-up. Basically considered a bunch of drugged-out has-beens. Run DMC saved their asses and Kalodner was able to run with the opportunity and make the opportunity last.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b] 'what doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger'.[/b][/quote]You mean like an amputated leg? Being blinded & having your skin fried by fire? Really some cliches are [i]so[/i] dumb. ...but, hey, [b] It's all good[/b]! :rolleyes:

Archived