Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

McCartney on the Tube

Right now, 9:36pm est, I'm looking at the Paul McCartney thing on ABC. Still sounds good for his age, but the most surprising thing is when they show shots from the audience. The number of kids aging from about five to 13 and singing along with some of those old Beatles tunes. Brings a tear to my eye! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DAng!!!! I missed most of it! I wonder if they are going to repeat this. FKKIT! :mad: [quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b]Right now, 9:36pm est, I'm looking at the Paul McCartney thing on ABC. Still sounds good for his age, but the most surprising thing is when they show shots from the audience. The number of kids aging from about five to 13 and singing along with some of those old Beatles tunes. Brings a tear to my eye! Whitefang[/b][/quote]

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

I'm pretty sure I saw a DVD at the store today. I have the show on now, and it's pretty good, but I think I'll pass on the dvd myself. Plus, since it's a network show, they will be sure to rerun it sometime within the next year. Funny, I never knew Blackbird had to do with the civil rights movement.

I just got home from my second gig today, I videotaped it and I am gonna watch it tomorrow. I saw sir Paul here in Michigan in May. He was just outstanding. There were a lot of kids at the concert. I guess the #1's cd garnerd him some new Beatle fans. He sang 22 Beatles tunes the night that I saw him. He was great.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

We watched it, but had a hard time staying interested after a while because of all the goddammed commercials. The DVD was released "Yesterday", so it should be in stores right now...and just in time for the Thanksgiving crush. One thing I thought was pretty cool is how his two guitar sidemen looked like they were right out of the Wings lineup. OTOH, as much as I like Abe Laboriel Jr.'s grooves, I just have a hard time picturing him in some of the gigs he's done lately, such as this one, and some with Sting (!?!?)...he seems like such a pounder, too hard for the styles.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Screw "taping" that show. The DVD is out and should generally kick-ass in the visual quality department, and definately in the sound department. (5:1 Digital) I ordered it already from Amazon.com for about 18 bucks. I am going to give my home theater and Klipsch subwoofer a workout when it arrives. The performances were awesome to say the least. And the sound was expertly handled for a live venue. Of note it looked like a Yamha Motif on top of a Kurz for the main keyboard section. Looked like a Kurz inside the upright that Paul was playing as well. Glad to see them Kurzes up there. :D

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

I saw the concert in Vegas last month. I had to pay $600 for two seats on the floor. Worth every penny. I totally had Beatlemania. I'm supposed to wait for Xmas to get the DVD, but there's no way. Gotta get it tomrrow. McCartney's written some of the best pop tunes of our lifetime and the band he put together really understood how to play it.

[quote]Originally posted by Roto: [b]Funny, I never knew Blackbird had to do with the civil rights movement.[/b][/quote]My take on this was that the mention of the CRMovement and then the explanation of the British slang for girl (bird) meant that Blackbird was written about a black girl... Or as the Stones put it: Brown Sugar... Or as Lenny K put it: Black Girl... Or... Maybe I misunderstood...? Bob Phillips 20to20soundesign

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b]OTOH, as much as I like Abe Laboriel Jr.'s grooves, I just have a hard time picturing him in some of the gigs he's done lately, such as this one, and some with Sting (!?!?)...he seems like such a pounder, too hard for the styles.[/b][/quote]I *gotta* respond to this. Before seeing him play live, I could see where someone might think that. But man, after seeing him live, he is just the king of good vibe - and adds a lot to the show - he's *happy* and way into it the whole time - makes ya feel good. And he does get to show some chops now and then as well, even on Paul's tour (which I saw in Toronto). He's played with K.D. Lang as well, and is on the cover of Modern Drummer this month. He lays a good groove, and does exactly what the song needs - nothing more, and certainly nothing less. Just my opinion, from another drummer.

I thought the drummer was just fine! Sounded like a really good Ringo (same type of straight beats as Ringo but obviously a better drummer) - it's perfect for Paul's songs. The show was excellent, not bad for a 60 year old man. It was beautiful to see such a diverse age group. I saw little girls, teenagers in tears .... and not crying over some teenie bopper group ... but crying over this 60 year old man's music. I've never seen that before in my life. Such is the power and endurance of that music. And it was awesome to see 40, 50 year old people in the crowd rockin' away. They ain't dead yet - out there partying. Gives hope to us all. And I also thank his new wife. Not only is she incredibly compassionate and independent (did you see her on CNN Larry King - wow, what a woman) ... but I also like the effect (her youth) is having on him. Getting him up off his ass, getting on tour and DOING!

We watched it and enjoyed it. I like that drummer too, he's excellent. After we watched that we pulled out the tape from his last tour in '93. It was filmed at BlockBuster Pavillion in Charlotte. He looks younger now. In the '93 show he had long grey streaked hair, so I'm sure you noticed he does have a great dye job now. You gotta love Paul. As much money as he's made and success he's had he's still such a sweet guy. It's funny they played some original songs on the'93 tour that have never and will never be heard again. I could have stood a few more Beatles tunes and a few less Wings but overall, great show. Oh yeah there was another difference in this tour and the '93 tour. His wife did not sing on this one.

I thought it was good, (seen later from a VHS taping). I can see why folks would be annoyed by all the commercials; I think I wore out the 'FF' button on the remote. The drummer was great but definately a basher. On a few songs, I think the drummer over-played them just a bit. Overall, it was great -especially compared to what is out there nowdays. Long live Paul! Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]The drummer was great but definately a basher. On a few songs, I think the drummer over-played them just a bit. Matt[/b][/quote]I think he's a [i]heavy[/i] drummer but his fills were right in style with the songs's original parts. Personally ('cause I know you're waiting for my opinion :rolleyes: ) I think the guitarists were both a bit of a drop from his last stage band with Robbie macintosh & Hamish Stewart (Stuart?). The comment about no vocals from "the dead" is fair but I must point out that on his last tour she played [i]a drum solo[/i] :freak: (during "Let 'em In")---very simple, to be sure, but quite crisply done.

[quote]Originally posted by Roto: [b]I'm pretty sure I saw a DVD at the store today. I have the show on now, and it's pretty good, but I think I'll pass on the dvd myself. Plus, since it's a network show, they will be sure to rerun it sometime within the next year.[/b][/quote]Note that the TV show was only 1 1/2 hours without commercials & DVD is timed at 3 hours.

Archived