Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: When it's time to quit ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swoop, How's it going? I'm going to make minor adjustments to your list, and print it out for myself. Today is Day 1 for me. After 12 years, pack a day, about the 7th attempt to quit, it's time. I feel ok today... so far, so good. Hippie is right, 10 days of being uncomfortable. Unfortunately I've never made it past 5. But like I said, I feel ok today. And I can't smoke and type at the same time :D And I agree with you 100% Swoop on the pot thing. It certainly does make quitting the cigs easier. So to all of you in the process of quitting, keep on it. I'm there too. It sucks right now, but we know it'll be better in 10 days. And if I'm still going nuts on the 11th day, can I blame you Hippie? just kidding. J

Jack,beleive me I'd tried everything,Zybans were the only thing that did the trick,2 years this month since I've sucked on a cigarette. Insomnia was a problem for a while but I got over it.Good Luck!
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote]Originally posted by markvincent: [b]Jack,beleive me I'd tried everything,Zybans were the only thing that did the trick,2 years this month since I've sucked on a cigarette. Insomnia was a problem for a while but I got over it.Good Luck![/b][/quote]Yeah, I'm on Welbutrin, which is the same thing as Zyban. And gum. Lot's of gum.
I really don't know what to put here.

Good luck to all who are quitting. To reiterate Halljams suggestion. Whenever you feel a craving, regardless of what crutch (gum, zyban, etc.) you use to get past them, rewrite part or all of your original post. Reading may allow your mind to ignore what's on the paper. Rewriting it will force you to hear your original sentiment. Again, good luck. You [i]can[/i] do this.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I quit for 2 years. I smoke again now unfortunately, but that is a pending divorce stress thing... I hope. I remember 6 months out still jonesing a lot, but sometime after that, I just failed to have the urge, was comfortable and only missed it every once in a while when out at clubs. I used an acupuncturists to help quit and it seemed to help...if nothing else, I did not smoke cause I did not want to go have all those damn needles stuck in me again! It is very easy to fall off the wagon once you go smoke free though...the addiction returns as strong as ever with just a few days of smoking, so watch yourself. Don't be weak like me and give in once you have it beat. Now I have to start over again...not now...too much stress. As far as the hemp, smoke away if it helps. It helped me. And for the record, pot is totally non toxic, don't worry about that.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

It's been four days now but I've cheated terribly with joints and even cigs on Sunday afternoon and last night. If I can get used to not smoking in the day that means I'm avoiding nicotine for 2/3 of every day instead of just the 1/3 when I'm asleep. I really don't think I can just stop completely, it'll have to be a reduction cure ...
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• 10 months later...
I hope it goes well for ya, Jack. I used Zyban (Wellbutrin) and stayed off for 3 years. Then had a dumbass attack and I'm back on 'em. The physical addiction to nicotine is gone in just 3 days. The rest is in your head, and that's the tough one to break. Good luck, and stay focussed. You can do this. :thu:
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I just quit smoking myself. I'm on my 11th smoke-free day. Cold turkey. I have sleep apnea so my Ear, Nose and Throat doctor suggested a couple of surgeries. One set of surgery dealt with my nose (which I did earlier this year and helped) and other dealt with my throat. I just had this surgery on 10-18. I had asked my doctor before if I could smoke after the throat surgery and he told me I would not even think about smoking for at least three days. I've tried to quit a few times before and I figured this was the best time to try again. Good decision on my part. True to my doctor's word, the first week, I had not thoughts about smoking. Only the last few days have I thought about it and it's been more of a mental/behavioral urge rather than a physical addiction urge. So now I take it day by day like it says on sites about quitting smoking. I just don't want to smoke today. I don't think about tomorrow or anything further than that. I've been meaning to make my own list so let me start it here (if you all don't mind). I am not smoking because: * I don't want to take daily medication for my high cholesterol. (My family physician flat out told me that my cholesterol, LDL level, is on the high side. If that were my only problem then I would be OK. But since I smoke, she said I would have to go on daily meds. I don't like going on daily meds.) * I don't like it controlling my life in any way. * I want my car to keep clean longer. * I don't know how many fine honeys have been turned off because of it. * I don't want to keep worrying whether my breath smells or not. * I heard food tastes better. And I'm all about food! * I didn't smoke up until 18 and I didn't feel I was missing anything by not smoking then so why feel that way now? * I used to love gum as a kid: Juicy Fruit, Bubblicious, and that gum the spurts when you bit into it - forget the name. * I hate littering the world with cigarette butts when there was no garbage can around or I'm driving in my car. * I would like to run the Marine Corps Marathon before I turn 40 (I'm 37). I'll keep adding more so I can print it and keep it with me. Thanks all for being patient. I know some of my reasons is a bit weird but unfortunately "because it's healthier" just doesn't register in my head as a reason to quit. Thanks, Nursers, for reviving this. So, how's the rest of you doing (Jack, Rog, etc)?

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Hey, a timely blast from the past! The first time around on this thread, which is almost a year old, I didn't do so well quitting. Nursers must be psyco or something because my last cigarette was on September 24. I didn't announce it this time because I did so badly last time. It's day to day, really. The thing keeping me from not smoking cigs is that I've come this far, it would be silly to go back now. Not to say that I don't want one now and again, but fortunately, so far that has strengthened my resolved. I'm still coughing up nasty things, but I definitely notice a difference in lung capacity. Singing is certainly easier, and I don't have to stop to hack things up as often. Oh, and it's also nice not to have to stop doing things I'm enjoying to light up. Over a month, so far, so good.

Way to go, Sylver. Smoking for me is a non-issue. My wife finds it totally unattractive and disgusting, which translates to cold and lonely nights for me if I ever chose to light up. Talk about motivation :D .

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I'm just about 8 months clean, 2 months shy of my previous longest quit, so I'm not too impressed with myself just yet. In my experience, it's a process that requires patience and committment, not becuase of cravings (which I still have and which can be quite strong) but because smoking is such a powerful emotional suppressant. When it is removed, one must learn to deal with a brave new world of disatisfactions and gnarly emotions in new ways--all those things the smoking was taking care of. For me, the key is to fight off depression. I'm far enough removed from the daily habit that no single craving is going to do me in. It's a kind of creeping depression and nihlism that I fear. It would take nothing short of a complete loss of hope and optimism for me to resume smoking, but I know I am capable of this. It's happened before. For me it was just time. Way past time. I'm 41, and this is my fourth major quit attempt in the last 5 years. All of them lasted at least 3 months, none longer than 10 months. You get better at it I guess, meaning more hip to the ways in which the addicition will pollute your thinking and reasoning, and ever more sure of the fact that you can never touch any tobacco product again if you want to stay quit. Ever. Under any conditions. Period. It's gone. Mourn it, grieve it, remember it with melancholy fondness, whatever. It's over. Too bad you had to fuck it up this way. Other people can enjoy a cigar on special occasions. Yet others can smoke cigarettes when they're drinking and not even think about it the next day. It's a wonderful thing, a real corporeal pleasure (something the anti-zealots will never admit or understand). But not you, baby. You fucked it up. You weren't free or sane about it. You were the lab rat with the pleasure button, if you know what I mean.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I've heard that smoking makes you impotent. If THAT'S not a reason to quit... Good luck to everyone who's tearing the monkey off their back. I'm sure that it's difficult, but when you can't stand it anymore, instead of lighting up, feel free to log in here and tell me off. You'll feel a lot better, and I'll understand completely. :D :thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan, until I met you here at MP, I thought that the smell coming across the Delaware was just the stench of New Jersey. Who'd have thought that one person could be odiferous? I feel much better now. Thanks Dan! ;) You know, the thing that keeps me from picking one up is that fact that I still want one so much.

[quote]Originally posted by Rimpire: [b]Magpel, The last paragraph of your previous post is brilliant! I will print that out and use that with my list to stay smoke-free. Thanks, Rim[/b][/quote]Thanks! My pleasure. Good luck and stay strong.

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Moose balls! Yes! Absolutely correct! ;) Good job! Let me HAVE it! Just don't light up, okay? :D P.S. Mag, I must have been wearing deodorant that day. ;) [/b][/quote]Ooops, that wasn't my joke, Dan. I'm staying out of the hwiole odiferousness thing.

Oh man, thanks for the reminder of my youthful indiscretions. Quitting smoking was a hard thing for me to do. I did what Sylver mentioned in that I figured I lasted a week, I could last another. At a month it was similar I lasted a month, I can last another. The good news is the cravings do subside. I HAVE smoked cigars a few times, but they make me feel crappy so I don't do that anymore either. So to all who are endeavoring to leave smoking behind I wish you personal strength of will. Keep your eye on the prize. If you've been smoke free for a month perhaps you've noticed the stench smokers have, that was you. I know you don't want to go back.. Stay the course, chew gum if you must. Relearn what to do with your hands (I was great at painting air with smoke by gesturing with a ciggy). Know your triggers. If you get depressed reach out and call someone or just post here. Whatever you do don't give the creeps who run the tobacco companies the satisfaction of taking your hard earned money to enslave you. Steve Chandler http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Oh, sorry, Mag! I guess I need to read my insults more carefully. :D [/b][/quote]Seriously Dan! I mean, I don't insult people too often, so you really should pay better attention.

I want to wish you guys who are quitting strength because luck has nothing to do with it. One little tip that can help to reinforce your resolve is to ALWAYS refer to it in the past tense. In other words, you are not quitting. You HAVE quit. There's a finality and a committment to saying that over and over. Remember, you only quit once. If you go back, you never really quit. It is done. Past. Believe it! If you had a total infatuation with a woman (or gender of your preference...) and that person totally abused you... treated you like complete crap... took away your money... controlled your will and movements... abused you physically and mentally every minute of your life with no thoughts of or for you... even treats your friends and loved ones like that... would you put up with it? I doubt it. You're stronger than that. You're smarter than that. That is what smoking does to you. Think of it in those terms and it may help you realize why you have quit. Hope this helps you out! Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

FWIW, I'm finally off smokes for over a couple of weeks now: no withdrawals (after the 1st day) and I feel absolutely awesome. Whoever stated the mental addiction lasts forever is right - it requires an absolute refusal to ever go back to it, and don't permit yourself to ever go down that road again: I've quit for as long as 2 1/2 yrs. (quite a long time ago), but fell back on - esp. when you are feeling "good" about yourself, and confident in your ability to withstand the craving for an "occasional" smoke - that is the kiss of death, as we all know, you'll be back to it like a junkie to junk. Steer clear - it's the best thing you can do for yourself, and your family. You will not know how great it feels until you do quit - within one day, my ability to wake up easily in the morning came back, as well as no rustling in my lungs, and no coughing/clearing throat, 2 days my sense of smell came back, 3 days my taste, etc., etc., - these are only the minor reasons to quit for good! :freak: You have to really want to quit - you can't successfully do it halfheartedly. if you don't succeed, keep trying - your ability to make it final will rest on your shoulders, and no external patches/pills/gum/etc. will make you want to quit - YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT TO SUCCEED!!!! best of luck - you can do it! :thu:

Jay

PlugHead Productions

Archived