Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: When it's time to quit ...

I usually try not to post OT too much, but when it's slow and I'm bored ... Ok, so I'm quitting smoking cigarettes. Well attempting it is more like it. I set a date of last Thursday(The great American Smoke out), and have been taking my Zyban(welbutrin) like a good boy. I've done pretty wsell so far, because I am managing NOT to smoke my normal 2-2 1/2 packs a day, but I haven't been an angel, either. Most I had was yesterday, about half a pack. Today, I've had 3 so far, but I'm jonesing pretty bad at the moment, and I'm at work, so I have no way to distract myself other than the SSS. It was much easier at home. BUT, I HAVE TO DO THIS! I hate smoking because: I hate being addicted to anything. It makes me feel weak when I HAVE to leave a room to go have a smoke. I hate the way that it affects non-smokers around me, and my relationship with them. The wife has to put up with it if she is in the studio or the car with me. And I spend to much time AWAY from my kids smoking because I don't want to pollute thier pink, perfect lungs. I hate the way it feels when I've smoked too much. It makes my chest hurt. I can do this if I'm under a lot of stress or working in the studio(my smoking refuge) for an extended period of time. I hate having to leave the table when I'm out to dinner and go to the bar in the middle of a meal to get a fix. Usually my wife ends up sitting there alone and taking care of the kids. I hate being a smoker with a chest cold. I don't stop, I just smoke right through the congestion. It takes me forever to get rid of a chest cold in recent years. I hate catching a wiff of my hands, or clothes and smelling cigarettes. The worst part is it usually makes me want one. I hate having to stop playing guitar or bass or singing to have a smoke. I hate running out of breath when I sing. Or walk up some stairs. Or have sex. Or play with my kids. I hate the taste in my mouth at the end of the day. I hate worrying about how bad my breath smells. I hate the thought of not seeing my kids graduate, get married, etc. I hate the fact that I have been so selfish as to potentially deny them having me there for those events. I hate feeling selfish. I hate it when my wife looks at me, and I know she's wondering how much time will she have to be without me. 30, 40 years? I hate withdrawal. I hate waking up at 3am and having to get dressed to go outside to have a smoke. I hate having to pause a movie, miss something on TV, or squirm in a theater seat because I HAVE to have a smoke. I hate not being able to get the full benefit of exersise, because my diminished lung capacity won't let enough oxygen in. I hated seeing my grandmother on oxygen because of her emphesema. I hate knowing that my dad probably has it too. I hate knowing that my mom is probably on her way as well. I hate getting burned. I hate putting holes in clothes and car seats. I hate ashes all over the studio and my equipment. I hate spending over $50 a week on something that is killing me, especially when money is always an issue. [i]Did I miss any?[/i] I don't think I'm really looking for advice, just for support. Thanks for listening. Jack(Sylver)
I really don't know what to put here.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Botch: [b]Good luck Jack. You've written a very good piece on why you want to quit, print it out and carry it with you. You can do it! :thu: :thu: :thu: [/b][/quote]Thanks, guys, and that is an excellent idea, Botch. Just writing it all out was very cleansing.

Dude... If you ask me, it's not OK to smoke anything, and if smoking weed weakends your resistance to smoking cigarettes, then it's definitely NOT OK. Sorry to play "bad cop," but I'd like for you to live.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Stick with it dude. At least a heart attack or worse didn't help you in your decision. I still struggle with it to this day. For me its like AA. Ya gotta do it one day at a time.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Myself, and two guys from work set a date a few weeks ago ... the date is this Friday :eek: This will be my third attempt but I feel more prepared than ever.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Dude... If you ask me, it's not OK to smoke anything, and if smoking weed weakends your resistance to smoking cigarettes, then it's definitely NOT OK. Sorry to play "bad cop," but I'd like for you to live.[/b][/quote]No, I actually did ok this weekend with the weed. I actually didn't have problems until I ran out! I found that have a quick puff when I was jonesing helped a lot this time.

[quote]Originally posted by RobT: [b]Stick with it dude. At least a heart attack or worse didn't help you in your decision. I still struggle with it to this day. For me its like AA. Ya gotta do it one day at a time.[/b][/quote]Yeah, I fit the myocardial profile too, though I'm already exersising and I'm down 30(!) pounds. I definately worry about always missing the smoking ... I know quite a few recovering nicoholics that all say they miss it.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]Myself, and two guys from work set a date a few weeks ago ... the date is this Friday :eek: This will be my third attempt but I feel more prepared than ever.[/b][/quote]Good luck, Rog! I wish I could give you advice, but I won't be able to until I'm already there. Have you visited the American Cancer Society web page? They have some great advice. One of the first things you already did. they say setting a date is the most important factor.

[quote]Originally posted by Jules Winnfield: [b]Thanks Eric! Hey, it's ok if I still smoke pot, right? :D [/b][/quote]You already know what to do; GOOD LUCK! While smoking of [i]anything[/i]'s not actually good for your lungs & pot's easily abused by those with no mental focus to start with, I personally think it's OK for adults. You, as a long term smoker, may not notice this but it's also (contrary to the hoopla) less hard on your lungs/body than tobacco (this can be readily attested by those who regularly smoke pot but can't even inhale a cigarette, whereas tobacco smokers have no problem inhaling pot smoke); also, how many pot heads could take 20~30 joints a day?

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b] [quote] Halfnote say: [b]also, how many pot heads could take 20~30 joints a day? [/b] [/quote]I know some that probably could if they wanted. But I think there is a physical limit (especially if you're doin the good stuff) that your body can take before you die from THC poisoning.[/b][/quote]I read in High Times that a lethal does of THC would require injesting 75 POUNDS of high quality pot. I think your stomach would explode after the first pound. I suppose that could be considered lethal. Magic Mushrooms are lethal after only 45 pounds. Herion, cocaine and meth OD amounts are MUCH smaller, though I don't remember the actually numbers(Short term memory loss).

Way to go Jack. I've been clean since 1972. If I can do it so can you. Your list gives many of the very valid reasons to not smoke. On top of that, your Sig O will like your smell better. Might just lead to something else....

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

In the process myself. Good luck all who are working on getting free of big bad nic. Here's my insight - I quit for 8 years, cold turkey during the most stressful time in my life. How? I'd been trying periodically to quit, and by the time I made the decision finally, I had had lots of practise dealing with the craving. Made it a lot easier. Plus, I refused to beat myself up for minor relapses. A relapse is not the end of the world if you set another date immediately and stick to it. Eventually you can just deal with it and, amazingly, it's no big deal. Carry on. JW

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Dude... If you ask me, it's not OK to smoke anything, and if smoking weed weakends your resistance to smoking cigarettes, then it's definitely NOT OK. Sorry to play "bad cop," but I'd like for you to live.[/b][/quote]It won't neccessarily weaken his resistance. I quit smoking cigarettes for quite a while and still smoked weed. Maybe too much! AND hash. AND opium. AND PCP. AND freebase. I'm back on tobacco, silly enough, and as bad a habit tobacco smoking is, as you can see I've had worse! And I'm working on it as well. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b] [quote] Halfnote say: [b]also, how many pot heads could take 20~30 joints a day? [/b] [/quote]I know some that probably could if they wanted. But I think there is a physical limit (especially if you're doin the good stuff) that your body can take before you die from THC poisoning.[/b][/quote]THC is one of the few substances for which there's no lethal dose.

Did you read the Chong's post? There is a lethal limit, it's just not really possible to attain it without your lungs collapsing, because you really couldn't smoke that much without at least blacking out from lack of oxygen. And mushrooms are lethal way before 45 pounds. You go to the hospital if you ate a quarter (about $40-60, depending on quality). That stuff is just as dangerous as heroin, just not as bad for you.

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b]Did you read the Chong's post? There is a lethal limit, it's just not really possible to attain it without your lungs collapsing, because you really couldn't smoke that much without at least blacking out from lack of oxygen. And mushrooms are lethal way before 45 pounds. You go to the hospital if you ate a quarter (about $40-60, depending on quality). That stuff is just as dangerous as heroin, just not as bad for you.[/b][/quote]Well, I've personally eaten more than a quarter of 'shrooms. It was WAY too much, and I kinda freaked out and tripped for way longer than I wanted to, but no need for hospitalization. Saw God that night, and he bitch-slapped me for overindulging.

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b]Hmmm, well then I dunno. I was told that you shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 caps at one time by some experienced folk...I've never done anything more than dope.[/b][/quote]Well, I wouldn't call them experienced :eek:
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b]Did you read the Chong's post? There is a lethal limit, it's just not really possible to attain it without your lungs collapsing, because you really couldn't smoke that much without at least blacking out from lack of oxygen. And mushrooms are lethal way before 45 pounds. You go to the hospital if you ate a quarter (about $40-60, depending on quality). That stuff is just as dangerous as heroin, just not as bad for you.[/b][/quote]I don't believe everything that's printed in High Times magazine... :rolleyes: If we want to argue, there's a lethal limit to the amount of [i]water[/i] you can ingest. Check it out for yourself in some scientific references.

:thu: Hey Sylver, you get my personal THUMBS UP!!! :thu: I don't smoke. I have NEVER smoked. I don't know what happened, other than that I always opposed peer-pressure as a teen (always the radical! Rebelling against the rebels!). I've always been thankful for making that choice for myself. As such, I cannot relate too well to what you are going through. But I can tell you that you made the right decision to post about it here. Definitely seek out support in ALL it's forms. You need people to help you, to inspire you, and you need people that YOU can inspire as well! Remember that you STARTED BEING a non-smoker from the moment you decided to quit. As I'm sure you know; this will take time, and will probably always be with you to some degree. But DO NOT GIVE UP -NO MATTER WHAT!!! I'd also suggest that you keep the dialog open with people that can help hold you accountable to your goal. If you slip, let them - or us know. Tell us when, where, why, and how many. It may seem kind of like a silly thing to do. But it will help you stay on track. It's easier to slip up and just not tell anyone. You can always pardon yourself, and eventually 1 becomes 2 and 3 and so on. Don't do it in private. Get a support team, and be completely honest with them. You'll feel a little stupid admitting things like that to them, but you might also notice that you feel a little defensive and guilty too. And that is your addiction telling you to hide it. As I'm sure you know, there is almost always a familiar face (er, avatar) here at the forum 24-7. I for one, will gladly pledge my support to you, and help you in anyway I can. Now might be a good time to take up a habit to replace smoking too. A fitness program is a good one. Just take it slow, take your time, and get used to it. Keep fighting the GOOD FIGHT, man! :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived