Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band of Gypsys

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b]I.After seeing Jimi live a few times.[/b][/quote]FUCK YOU VERY MUCH! YOU BASTID SUNNUVABEEOTCH! :D ;) I can only take solace in the fact that I was 7 yrs. old when he died, which makes you a hell of a lot older than me. :p
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah,I'm gettin up there all right.You can also take solace in the fact that I missed seeing the Fillmore show because I was robbed at knifepoint buy a junkie 2 blocks from the fillmore.Everytime I hear that record I get reminded.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b]Yeah,I'm gettin up there all right.You can also take solace in the fact that I missed seeing the Fillmore show because I was robbed at knifepoint buy a junkie 2 blocks from the fillmore.Everytime I hear that record I get reminded.[/b][/quote]That sucks. I would never take solace in something like that. If I had known it was you, I wouldn't have robbed you.

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b]......But....Getting to meet Jimi(once)briefly before his European tour sorta made up for it...... :D [/b][/quote]We opened for Cheap Trick last spring, and I got to.....uhhh....errr.....I mean, we.......ummm.... ...nevermind... :rolleyes: Jimi ROCKED! :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b]Yeah,I'm gettin up there all right.You can also take solace in the fact that I missed seeing the Fillmore show because I was robbed at knifepoint buy a junkie 2 blocks from the fillmore.Everytime I hear that record I get reminded.[/b][/quote]Hey Aladin, Was that junkie a short italian looking guy with straight black hair? He got me in the exact same place a few weeks earlier. Only got away with five of my bucks. This was part of the "charm" of lower NYC at the time. Man do I miss those Fillmore shows. $5.50 for the good seats - Jeez BTW I walked around the Washington park /Bleeker Street area last spring for the first time in years. It was dominated by NYU students and has long since lost much of what was its unique hippie character. I saw Jimi live 3 times with highly variable results. Once he was really trippin and could not play much at all. At the Randalls Island festival he played a version of Red House that was the most soaring, blistering guitar solo Ive ever witnessed. Highly variable live - dependant on dosage I suppose.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by KHANfucious: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b]......But....Getting to meet Jimi(once)briefly before his European tour sorta made up for it...... :D [/b][/quote]We opened for Cheap Trick last spring, and I got to.....uhhh....errr.....I mean, we.......ummm.... ...nevermind... :rolleyes: Jimi ROCKED! :thu: [/b][/quote]Impressive. Did Rick have his five necker?
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by Jules Winnfield: [b]Impressive. [/b][/quote]Really? I felt kind of bad for them actually. It was a crappy venue, and the crowd was only about 1,500 people. [quote]Originally posted by Jules Winnfield: [b] Did Rick have his five necker?[/b][/quote]Yes. He had about 15 guitars, and was as big of a wack job as ever.

[quote]Originally posted by KHANfucious: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Jules Winnfield: [qb] It was a crappy venue, and the crowd was only about 1,500 people. [/b][/quote]Yeah, well, I'm a small fish, so 1500 peeps is pretty impressive to me. I don't know that I've played in front of 1500 TOTAL.

[quote]Originally posted by Jules Winnfield: [b]Yeah, well, I'm a small fish, so 1500 peeps is pretty impressive to me. I don't know that I've played in front of 1500 TOTAL.[/b][/quote]I hear ya. I'm a small fish too. 1500 is a good crowd for us, but I thought it was kind of sad for a group that was once one of the biggest in the world. They sounded good too. :)

They were HUGE at one time. But I wouldn't feel too bad for them, They had thier time in the sun, whichI'm pretty sure I will never have. Frankly, I'd rather be a has been, than a never been. Wait, I just remembered CC Deville on VH1. Nevermind.

I dunno, I personally found Buddy Miles voice to be very compelling on 'Machine Gun', yet somewhat annoying on 'Who Knows'. I read an interview once with Eddie Kramer where he recalled sitting up with Jimi in the studio editing the tapes. He said how Jimi would have him cut out more and more of Buddy's vocalizing, finally slumping his head down on the console and saying "Buddy would you please just shut up?" That being said, I would still, personally, rather hear a vocalist with Buddy's abilities over listening to yet another Mickey Mouse voiced guitar gun-slinger singing about working in a steel mill, or about his 'manly' prowess. :rolleyes:

[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Downchild: [b] That being said, I would still, personally, rather hear a vocalist with Buddy's abilities over listening to yet another Mickey Mouse voiced guitar gun-slinger singing about working in a steel mill, or about his 'manly' prowess. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]Who do you mean? My first guess would be Buddy Guy, but I wouldn't call him Mickey Mouse voiced.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Downchild: [QB]I dunno, I personally found Buddy Miles voice to be very compelling on 'Machine Gun', yet somewhat annoying on 'Who Knows'. I read an interview once with Eddie Kramer where he recalled sitting up with Jimi in the studio editing the tapes. He said how Jimi would have him cut out more and more of Buddy's vocalizing, finally slumping his head down on the console and saying "Buddy would you please just shut up?" i got some out take cassettes of the BOG in the studio just cuttin' each other up(verbally) comically and seriously and it all seems to revolve around a respect for each other and what bands do in studios and especially wot some 'brothas' B doin when they are alone together-all in good fun s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

[quote]Originally posted by d: [b]I think he just meant weasely rock cats in general.[/b][/quote]:thu: :thu: Exactly, d! Jules, Buddy Guy definetely isn't whom I was thinking of, though ironically I like his older stuff on the Cobra and Chess labels. The same stuff that in turn, inspired Jimi. Sorry for the confusion... ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Downchild: [b] [quote]Originally posted by d: [b]I think he just meant weasely rock cats in general.[/b][/quote]:thu: :thu: Exactly, d! Jules, Buddy Guy definetely isn't whom I was thinking of, though ironically I like his older stuff on the Cobra and Chess labels. The same stuff that in turn, inspired Jimi. Sorry for the confusion... ;) [/b][/quote]Cool, NP. Hmmmmmm, I wonder if I qualify as one of those weasely rock cats?

[quote]Originally posted by Kendrix: [b]Hey Aladin, Was that junkie a short italian looking guy with straight black hair[/b][/quote]No,he was more like some heavey metal type guy in a dress, and he kept repeating some thing like.....lalala,or bralalala....or something like that,weird.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

There is a DVD with B&W video from these concerts. The picture quality is poor but its worth checking out, the audio quality is fine. I hear the VHS version only contains a documentary, not the concert footage, so be sure to get the DVD. I like the album. It was an innovative blend of funk style rhythms with rock guitar that is historically important. Buddy Miles is a bit heavy footed but I find the contrast with Mitchell interesting, even though overall Mitchell is better. Billy Cox was definitely an improvement over Redding. Besides the funkier rhythms I like the album because Hendrix gets to really stretch out on some long numbers, but the rhythm keeps things steady. I think Hendrix's playing is some of his best, he gets out there but it all comes together nicely. I think Hendrix seemed more alert for these sessions than he did for most of his other live recordings. (probably because he was glad to have a change from playing his oldies) One of my favorite songs is Who Knows, a very catchy riff. Digital Underground successfully used the riff for a rap song on their first album.

Archived