Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band of Gypsys

OK, first off let me say that I'm a pretty big Hendrix fan. Axis: Bold as Love is one of my all time favorite albums, and I have a soft spot for most of the other albums, live and studio. Here's the thing: I just don't get the "Band of Gypsys" album. It's better than most other things that have been made since, and it still gets some rotation in my cd player, but IMO, it's not up there with the rest of the Hendrix material. I just don't think it's all that special. I know a lot of people condsider it Jimi's pinnacle work, but not me. I think that the recording is sub par, to say the least. Jimi's playing, while good, and more blues and funk influenced than most of his other stuff, seems rough to me. There are many spots where it sounds like he is over bending or under bending, and many spots where he's just plain out of tune. People are ga-ga over the use of the Uni-Vibe, but I think it's been used much more effectively. I think the guitar tone on this album is pretty lousey too. Not even Jimi's best live sound, IMO, though I know there are people who feel it's his best. It sounds shrill and tinney to me. I like the impressionism he uses in Machine Gun, but that is such a small part of the whole album. Buddy Miles annoys the crap outta me. I hate his voice on this album(I guess I just don't like his voice, actually). It sounds forced. He always sounds like he's trying to walk the edge between soul and rock, and acomplishes neither. And I HATE that stupid thing where he's imitating Jimi's Wah-Wah. I see what Mitch Mitchell means when he calls Miles "William the Concreter". I'm not sure if that was meant as a compliment or an insult, but I think the guy plays so heavy handed and footed that he just can't seem to find the groove that this music so desperately needs. I have nothing bad to say about Billy Cox, except that he seems to meander a bit. Yes, there is lot's of improv, and at moments it's inspired, but most of the time it sounds like that junker that your dad bought you as a first car right before it died. The scary thing is that it sounds like a Greatful Dead space/jam when the band was partying too hard. It just doesn't seem to gel most of the time. The songs for the most part are pretty good, but I don't think they are allowed to breathe. I'm not sure if it's Miles drumming that is holding them back from being groovy and funky, or whether the songs really should have been more rock oriented, and the band is trying to force a groove that just isn't there. Most of the time it feels like the latter is the case, but as I said, I find Miles drumming questionable. Maybe it's Buddy Miles that I just don't like. Have you heard "Blues Berries"? Yuck. I hate this guys voice. And he plays guitar on this album too! Tries to do the Hendrix thang, and though he shows he can work a wah-wah, he falls short. Of course, I like his guitar playing better than his drumming. Anyone else agree or disagree?
I really don't know what to put here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree. Hendrix even walked off of the stage in disgust the second night. It was all just to settle a contract with a former manager. Mitch wasn't too fond of Miles playing ;) Had Hendrix gone on, the plan was to try to get Jack Cassady on bass guitar, w/ Mitch drumming.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

A more complete version of those shows are on Live at the Fillmore East. Band Of Gypsys was pretty heavily edited. Jimi does seem like he's pushing for some new sounds, kind of extreme R&B. I'm not a big Buddy Miles fan, either, but interesting to hear Jimi react to different musicians.

yeah i agree in spots! sound quality is shit, but its live and raw and who cares, its listenable to - theres been worse recordings. the songs are real hot and cold. i think Changes is a good song and well sung but the other Miles vocals are pretty damn dodgy. Hell, its my least fave. Jimi album, but i still dig it too.
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

I agree with some of what you say. The two CD set I bought has more than one version of a lot of the songs. Both versions of "Machine Gun" are simply incredible...one is definitly better than the other. Buddy Miles was a shitty drummer. Billy Cox is always cool. So yeah, some of it is not so great but it was a New Year's party and they did several sets.

Wow... I never really listened to that CD critically. I've purchased it three times: once on cassette (in the early '80s), once on CD (about 5 years ago) and on DVD (last year.) It's always been a favorite of mine. I agree that some of Buddy's "vocalizing" is a little wonky, but I love the performances and material. I actually prefer Buddy Miles' heavy-footed approach to drumming over Mitchell's, but then again, I don't like busy drummers. Billy Cox is basically just kinda "there." I dunno... I like the album a lot. Different strokes, etc.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

This album changed my life. All of you are some blasphemous bastards. You should start a band called Blasphemous Bastards. :D Seriously, I do truly love this album. The mixture of Rock with R&B Bass clinched it for me. I think "Machine Gun" and "Power of Soul" are Hendrix classics. His playing in the "Power of Soul" drops my jaw everytime. "Machine Gun" I don't think I need to go into how beautiful and powerful this performance is. Buddy Miles doesn't bother me in the least, but the guitar and bass really, really, really, makes me fall in love with this album. I use to spin my band as a mixture of Nirvana and the Band of Gypsys. Different strokes for.................. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Wow, I didn't get flamed as bad as I thought I would. Cool. Khan and Jedi: I'm not saying that the album sucks, I just don't have the emotional connection to it that I do to the rest of Jimi's material. Besides, I really think that after my rant that I've figured out that I juat hate Buddy Miles.
I really don't know what to put here.

This album changed everything for me, I dont see how you guys can diss on it the way that is being done here. The sound quality bites but that is not the reason I like it. I respect everyone's opinion on this album but I rank it as one of the most influential albums I ever heard. Even Joe Satriani says it is his favorite album, but what does he know. :D

I feel ya' Swoop. I love celebrating the differences, ya know. Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] Had Hendrix gone on, the plan was to try to get Jack Cassady on bass guitar, w/ Mitch drumming.[/b][/quote]Hendrix worked consistently with Billy Cox therafter until his death. Cassady's good (certainly better than Redding, who never really played "bass") but it's clear that Hendrix valued Cox.

[quote]Originally posted by the people of Earth: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] Had Hendrix gone on, the plan was to try to get Jack Cassady on bass guitar, w/ Mitch drumming.[/b][/quote]Hendrix worked consistently with Billy Cox therafter until his death. Cassady's good (certainly better than Redding, who never really played "bass") but it's clear that Hendrix valued Cox.[/b][/quote]I agree; Hendrix DID value Cox, but Cox was having serious problems; mosty severe anxiety. I'm just going on what Mitch Mitchell says.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Of course the sound of the studio albums are superior - and the playing is cleaner esp. on AXIS. But this was live on New Years Even and I suspect Hendrix was well medicated. Depsite this I find it to be quite amazing. If you were there live I bet you'd still be shakin your head in amazement. I would have loved Jack Cassidy to have teamed up - his work on Ladyland / Voodoo Child was a great compliment to Jimi. However, I do admit I play this one less often than the other studio albums - especially AXIS.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Swoop wrote: it's not up there with the rest of the Hendrix material ------------------------------ Some of us, including Miles Davis, prefer a tight rhythm section. We think it's Hendrix best work /Poelo

There are some really cool moments on the Band of Gypsies, but I always felt that it just wasn't tight. If they had about 20 gigs under their belt I am sure the sloppiness would have been remedied. Overall, crappy sound notwithstanding, I think that it is a pretty cool documentation of Jimi's immense talent. Though definitely not my favorite recording of his.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

All in all, as a listener and Hendrix fan from jump, I'd say the whole thing came off quite good despite the woeful shortage of rehearsal time. All the criticism about sound and Buddy's voice is on the money, though. I never minded Buddy's drum work too much. It's simple, true. But it also has a kind of funk signature to it. It just doesn't work in all situations, though, and the album proves that. I agree with you, swoop, that it's not the best done by Jimi. But some new ideas seemed to be being hashed out on it, and as the man said earlier, several more gigs under the belt might have helped. Actually, they DID try several more gigs, but the slowness of improvement and clashing of both Buddy Mile's ego and legal troubles with Jimi busted it up. Miles' work with his own "Buddy Miles Express" is a better example of what he could accomplish as a drummer. As for his voice? Well... We used to joke about how it sounded like Mickey Dolenz trying to immitate Otis Redding. Incidentally, my favorites on the album are "Power To Love", and "Message of Love". Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

dont know how i missed this thread being the hendrix fanatic i am. there are pros and cons about the record(s) as you people have said,but i was there(not @the show!damn) but listening to alotta stuff then and those sounds i assure you had *never* been made or heard before. from the record 'R U Xperienced' on, he created such a new sonic signal to be digested, that to listen to it in the pristine conditions of a recording of a live event those many years ago , i'm sayin only some of the story can unfold the man was a genius s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I loved Band of Gypsies.After seeing Jimi live a few times I thought this was one of the better live performances captured as far as guitar goes.Especially compared to "Jimi plays Berkley" which I thought was awful for the most part.Also Buddy's playing was a little off here and there but that far from detracts from his talent as a solid R&B drummer,especially if you saw him with the Express(Jim MCcarty/Mike Finnagan ect.).I have listened to Band of Gypsies quite a bit over the years and hsve grown a little tired of it and can spot the flaws more than I did when it was new,but damm,like Kahn alludes to,that "Machine Gun" solo is still shit hot,32 years later.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived