Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ray Charles news

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I hadn't even thought about that! But it says right here in the PR: ..."videos of Ray & his backup singers"... :idea: I guess they want to appeal to the passing sighted gamblers as well.

At least he's not driving a bus...like in that one movie...was it a Mel Brooks film? Ya know how blind folks can tell what someone looks like by feeling their face? I wonder if it would work to wear dark glasses into a Hooter's and tell the waitress that you're blind... :idea: :idea: :thu: :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Ray's managment definitely must have gotten a new licensing deal. I was in the drug store today and I saw a Ray Charles singing head doll. I saw the James Brown singing head doll last year and it got me thinking. In the Spike Lee movie, "Bamboozled" the opening sequence is of a bunch of so called "jigaboo" toys. Heads, dolls and toys designed after the stereotypical racist images of the turn of the century. The character in the movie collects them, as Spike Lee does. I have read mister Lee denouncing these toys as racist and derogatory and offensive to black people. He collects them to remind black Americans of the racist past of America. The Ray Charles, and James Brown dolls look just like the offensive toys that Spike collects. I wonder what he thinks about that? What do you think about that?

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose: [b][checking my watch] "...wonder when Poelo's gonna get here..."[/b][/quote]:eek: :eek: :eek:

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]The Ray Charles, and James Brown dolls look just like the offensive toys that Spike collects. I wonder what he thinks about that? What do you think about that?[/b][/quote]I'd have to see Spike's toys in order to draw a comparison. I have also seen the Ray, and James dolls. Honestly, Al Jolson was not the first thing that popped into my head, but I could probably see where someone could see it. When I think of those racist images of blacks, I see things like the bandana wraped around their hair, puffy cheeks, BIG white eyes looking upwards in a pathetic subservant graveling position. Sort of a "Toby be ah good nigga from now own, massa." kind of look. I don't think I saw those in the dolls you mentioned. What I DO see is a caricature -where all of the facial features are blown out of proportion. And those old racist stereotyped images were always done as caricature. They do this with everyone, however. Look at the Halloween masks of the President's head that come out every year.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]That is too weird. How does one license his [i]image[/i] to be used on [i]games for the blind[/i]???[/b][/quote]How does he know what he is licensing? ;)

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by Duhduh: [b] [quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]That is too weird. How does one license his [i]image[/i] to be used on [i]games for the blind[/i]???[/b][/quote]How does he know what he is licensing? ;) [/b][/quote]When he recieves the check. That's the good news; at least he's gettin' paid.

Archived