Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIAA orders US Navy to surrender

[quote][b]RIAA orders US Navy to surrender By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco Posted: 24/11/2002 at 22:43 GMT In a timely reminder of who's really in charge here, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has mounted a daring raid on the US Navy. Acting unilaterally at the behest of the RIAA, Navy officials confiscated 100 computers on suspicion of harboring illegally downloaded MP3s, The Capital, an Annapolis, MD daily reports. A Naval official quoted confirms the raid, adding that punishment ranges from "court martial to loss of leave and other restrictions". For the RIAA, there are no half measures: you're either with them, or against them. So even if you're risking having your ass blown off for your country, there's no mercy. [/b][/quote]The full article can be found [url=http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/28263.html]here[/url] .

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Poster formerly known as Coaster: [b]is "the register" similiar to "the onion"? [/b][/quote]It's a British tabloid... But the [url=http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/live/11_23-19/NAV]article that they link to[/url] has more detail and appears to be from a less, uh, [i]sensationalistic[/i] news source.

RIAA = Recording Industry Assholes of America
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

I'm with them on it. I think people need to see that there are consequences for their actions. I've had a number of people comment to me that if stealing music off of the internet was really wrong, that it would be harder to do, or the police would try to make people stop doing it. I can't understand that logic. I wish people would just have respect for other people's work so none of this shit would have to happen.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Yes, perhaps, but this shows further evidence of the RIAA's refusal to accept the new technology. As always, their only method of attack is to hunt down anyone illegally spreading music on the net, but how can they be sure that everything on the seized computers is illegal? I don't condone file swapping myself, but once again, the RIAA has shown a lack of respect towards the buying public. How about taking advantage of the new technology in order to make it a profitable part of any artist's endeavor? Better yet, how about giving some real assistance to artists who want to make it in the industry, instead of merely siphoning profits from them? All of this 'chasing down the consumers' crap reminds me of the drug wars.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I'm with them on it. I think people need to see that there are consequences for their actions. I've had a number of people comment to me that if stealing music off of the internet was really wrong, that it would be harder to do, or the police would try to make people stop doing it. I can't understand that logic. I wish people would just have respect for other people's work so none of this shit would have to happen.[/b][/quote]But there are some bands that don't mind people having access to their stuff on the internet. Not everyone in the industry is a Lars Ulrich. Widespread Panic and Phish both condone/encourage the taping of shows, whereas some bands prohibit it. And what about MP3.com? Huh, that's not been shut down. Obviously those thousands of bands don't mind either.

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I'm with them on it. I think people need to see that there are consequences for their actions. I've had a number of people comment to me that if stealing music off of the internet was really wrong, that it would be harder to do, or the police would try to make people stop doing it. I can't understand that logic. I wish people would just have respect for other people's work so none of this shit would have to happen.[/b][/quote]But there are some bands that don't mind people having access to their stuff on the internet. Not everyone in the industry is a Lars Ulrich. Widespread Panic and Phish both condone/encourage the taping of shows, whereas some bands prohibit it. And what about MP3.com? Huh, that's not been shut down. Obviously those thousands of bands don't mind either.[/b][/quote]I think that kind of thing can be great for bands that don't mind spreading around their music. However, no one should be resentful of people that do not want their work distributed for free/bootlegged. At the same time, it's sad that so many musicians are whoring themselves for next to nothing, because it totally devalues the art form. I mean there was a time where you could make a LIVING just being a LOCAL MUSICIAN. That time has passed, and it has a lot more to do with the artists themselves than the consumers, record companies, peer to peer, etc.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]At the same time, it's sad that so many musicians are whoring themselves for next to nothing, because it totally devalues the art form. I mean there was a time where you could make a LIVING just being a LOCAL MUSICIAN. That time has passed, and it has a lot more to do with the artists themselves than the consumers, record companies, peer to peer, etc.[/b][/quote]I'd like you to expound this statement. I haven't played gigs in months because venues don't pay enough for original music. How am I, as an artist, "devaluing the art form" and causing the situation you have described above? It's my opinion that, as a consumer, I am doing more damage by not going out to more live shows. How does the fault fall on the artists?

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]At the same time, it's sad that so many musicians are whoring themselves for next to nothing, because it totally devalues the art form. I mean there was a time where you could make a LIVING just being a LOCAL MUSICIAN. That time has passed, and it has a lot more to do with the artists themselves than the consumers, record companies, peer to peer, etc.[/b][/quote]I'd like you to expound this statement. I haven't played gigs in months because venues don't pay enough for original music. How am I, as an artist, "devaluing the art form" and causing the situation you have described above? It's my opinion that, as a consumer, I am doing more damage by not going out to more live shows. How does the fault fall on the artists?[/b][/quote]Good points dBunny- I don't think you are devaluing the art form!... The whole state of music is fucked... There are a lot of things that come into play with the current state of music- - Rock music- it really degraded the talent pool. You probably don't want to go out to clubs, b/c the guys you're going to see are most likely barely competent at their instruments. Some artists don't even consider proficiency on one's instrument to be a good thing- that's fucked! This is the main area where I think that the artists are failing in. Nobody can even jam anymore, b/c people only know what's going on in their little niche. "Sorry dude, I only play thrash-ska-honkytonk-hardcore music." "What's a twelve bar progression?" "Can't we jam on some NIN?" - the "division of music"- the genre-fication of music screws the artists and the consumers. There was a time when a given radio station played a much wider variety of music of music; motown next to rock next to country. I think that made consumers more open minded, and helped artists draw from more diverse influences. - music videos- I wish the industry could clue in on the fact that there are musicians, and then there are music video artists. Two different things, with some overlap. I long for the day when there will be a music video industry, as well as a MUSIC industry, if that makes any sense. Both things require different skills. - all of these damn guest spots on singles- The industry thinks this is building up the artists. In reality, it's just making everything a homogenous cess pool of crap. - the quest for "perfection"- The sound that people are aiming for on major label releases is cool, but at the same time- it really screw things up. People have lost all perspective on what's a good "performance," when a performance has energy.... All "abnormalities/ special moments" must be smashed out of the track. Instead of it being about getting the best take, it's about getting the best comp. Instead of it being about getting a great tone that fits what you're trying to express in a song, it's "plug into the line 6, dude." ARAARRRRGGGAGGGHHHHH! I like my milk homogenized- not my music. I know I got off track ;) :p

I see. Well, your first point definitely lays some blame on the musicians of today. And I mostly agree with the sentiment of this statement. The vocabulary of jamming should be important to professional musicians, and often it isn't held in high enough regard. However, the last four points in your response seem to be faults of the record companies, and the industry, not the musicians. I believe that the labels and TV/radio stations have a lot more to do with the pathetic state of music today than the musicians themselves do. Don't you agree?

Yes, I absolutely agree. The last points are definitely the by-products of corporate America. And in many ways the media and music industry is responsible for what I was talking about in my first point; the degrading of the talent pool. Hmmm, yeah- not too much blame really lies on the artists. I think I've "re-thunk" that. It's not so much the fault of bands that don't take pride in their music/instruments. It's more about local venues and music labels realizing that they can pay less, make more, and take advantage.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]What would you do, genious? If someone stole something of mine I would want it retrieved.[/b][/quote]Of course you'd want it back, and you have that right, but like I said, I think the RIAA needs to rethink their strategy a bit. I'm not asking for a long, drawn out court battle like the one M$ went through, but I wish they'd do more to support real quality product, and not just stuff made for a quick buck. Yes, I did see your other posts. :)

Instead of recapping all of what you've said, I'll put it this way. The record companies nowadays do not care about how the music is made, just as long as it's loud and obnoxious. That's why you see so many of these bands start their own record companies, so that the good music that's out there can get a chance to get represented. And I would only want my music back if someone took it and tried to put their name on it. But if they got it off of the internet or a friend, I'd welcome it. You'd be crazy not to say you don't want your music spread, especially if someone just happened upon your music and downloaded a few songs, and gave their friend a listen, and after a while, you come out with a CD and they buy it. You make money, can start a tour, and become world reknowned for your skill as a singer or whatever you do to make the ben's. So why, afterall, are all these record companies mad that you can get a few singles off the internet and burn them, and show it to all your friends, who in turn all buy the CD, and all go to your show, and make you a friggin' rock star? I don't know, and most people probably don't really either, but I can make a few guesses...

• 1 month later...
Yeah punish those middies, not only have they caused Metallica to lose billions of dollars, they are supporting terrorism by downloading MP3's....on the government rolls. Don't they teach those guys you aren't supposed to take from rich guys, only poor ones? Dang....the world is going to hell in afghanibasket. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote] What would you do, genious? If someone stole something of mine I would want it retrieved. [/quote]What would I do? I'd petition the RIAA to send you back to school to improve your spelling. For school fees you could use some of the wages that the navy no longer needs to pay the sailors they will court martial. :thu: Or you could just use "Spell Check", it's free.

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

Archived