Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE BEST GEAR YOU HAVE EVER USED?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My few jems of music gear that I ended up buying after I heard or used them... Manley Mono Vari-Mu Manley Massive Passive GML Parametric EQ Eventide DSP4500 dbx 160SL EXR EX-IV Exciter Roland RE-150 Space Echo Roland D-50 Focusrite Red-7 & Red-3 API 512C Micpre/DI API 525 Compressor Groove Tubes VIPRE Grove Tubes CL1s Compressor AMEK/Neve Channel-In-A-Box Neve 1073 & 1081 Distressor Evil Twin DI AT4050 & AT4060 M149 / U87 / TLM103
- AudioGaff -

AudioGaff, You have almost all the pieces I want... Distressor Vari MU Massenburg EQs Neumann U87 What do you recommend I acquire first? I have two 737s, a d8b, DP3. I record vocals with a Neumann TLM 103 into an Avalon and then into DP3. I use the d8b and DP3 for mixing and the two Avalons linked for the stereo buss material. I`m trying to get that vocal sound with a little dirt but I don`t think the U87 will give it to me. Maybe I need some Neve pres or the Great River MP NV2. What do you think? Thanks, Ernest

[list] [*]Celestion G12 Alnico Blue reissue [*]DaveSmithInstruments Evolver [*]CraneSong Flamingo [*]Lexicon NuVerb [*]Pete Cornish Soft Sustain 2 [*]Clavia Nord Modular [*]LittleLabs PCP Distro 3.0 [*]t.c. electronic M3000 [*]t.c. FireworX [*]Lovetone Ring Stinger [*]Korg OASYS PCI [*]Elektron MachineDrum SPS-1 [*]Ridge Farm Gas Cooker [*]Waldorf Microwave XTk [*]Bad Cat Black Cat 30 w/reverb [*]Eventide DSP7500 [*]WaveMechanics SoundBlender [/list]
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

[quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b] I`m trying to get that vocal sound with a little dirt but I don`t think the U87 will give it to me. Maybe I need some Neve pres or the Great River MP NV2. What do you think? Thanks, Ernest[/b][/quote]Ernest, Have you seen this mic-pre/limiter? It has that slightly dirty groove, same as the 2610. http://www.uaudio.com/products/6176.html Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

Too much cool stuff to list... I like 80 series Neve boards, Studer analog decks, Telefunken 251's (and the Soundelux ELUX 251), Vintech's mic preamps, V76 mic preamps, Distressors, LA2A's, Fairchild 660's and 1176's for compressors, Pro Tools for the DAW (with a control surface please...), ADAM monitors... oops, now I've gone and done it - the anti-ADAM forum police will be after me! ;) I'd better stop now - they're everywhere and they're WATCHING ME! :eek: :D

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]You need some serious help Khan... come on, accept the G.A.S. - embrace the G.A.S. - G.A.S. is GOOD for you... more stuff... NEW stuff... at least BETTER stuff! :D [/b][/quote]Thanks for the encouragement Phil!!! :D Since I had a couple of burrito's for dinner, I don't think that accepting the G.A.S is currently under my control. :eek: But under no circumstances will I [i]"embrace the G.A.S"[/i]. If you catch my drift ;) .. or was that waft... :cry: [emoticon signifying the burning of my eyes]
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote] AudioGaff, You have almost all the pieces I want... Distressor Vari MU Massenburg EQs Neumann U87 What do you recommend I acquire first? I have two 737s, a d8b, DP3. I record vocals with a Neumann TLM 103 into an Avalon and then into DP3. I use the d8b and DP3 for mixing and the two Avalons linked for the stereo buss material. I`m trying to get that vocal sound with a little dirt but I don`t think the U87 will give it to me. Maybe I need some Neve pres or the Great River MP NV2. What do you think? Thanks, Ernest [/quote]Well, I'm not a big fan of the Avalon 737 and I would not use the Avalons for 2-buss but if it works for you, great. Crank that input on the Avalon and turn down the output. The Vari-mu is a great piece (I have three mono units not a stereo unit, although I can link two of them) They can be hard, full and slightly aggressive but not really dirty. I think everyone needs a good analog eq. The GML 8200 is hard to beat for clean, surgical tone shaping. The Manley Massive Passive is also very clean but can be overdriven a bit to give you a harder and slightly dirty type of tone shapping. The 1176 is missing from my list and may be the missing link in your chain for the harder, edgey tone. I'm also looking forward to the new UA 6176. If you just want hard and dirty, get sonething with some real iron in it. The U87/TLM103 into the GR or any of the older Neve types could be the ticket. I use a Brent Averill Neve 1272 and a mono vari-mu or the distressor for the type of tone you describe cause I think the 1272 is the creame of the overdriven slightly dirty tone. The Neve 1073/1081 and other type clones, seem too sweet to me in comparision. Still wish I owned a few of each. So I would say get the distressor, some sort of Neve type preamp and the GML eq. Endless combos of killer tone possibilities... AudioGaff
- AudioGaff -

'59 Telecaster w/'66 rosewood neck UREI 1178 1960 Fender Harvard amp 1971 Vibrochamp Studer MKIV Neotek Series IIIc Mac computers seems like there's more, but I'm not feeling all that well right at the moment, and trying to focus on this is getting more difficult by the minute. I own all of the above except the Studer and the Neotek...which were at studios I worked in at the beginning. Cut my teeth on that Neotek, and I've never worked with a console that's had that charm since. I'd love to find one.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

My 72 telecaster And again, the last few days have shown me what a superior system the fairlight is to any other editing system I have used. The amount of work I have been able to do in the last few days for schedules that got moved back, is astounding. I know I could never have finished the shows I needed to on any other system, in the time frame needed.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

My old landlord had a two and a half ton Chevy farm truck with a dump bed. That granny gear was awesome. It funneled huge torque from that little 235 six so you could climb out of just about any situation. I also drove a '64 Freightliner with a Road Ranger transmission - it had lots of great gears. Learned to shift w/o the clutch on that baby.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

My ears, 1967 Gibson SG, RNC compressor, Baldwin grand piano, Akai MG1214, Lawson L251, Audio Technica AT4051s. All very useful.

-----DBX QUANTUM!!!!---- I don't know why this piece of gear isn't in everyone's studio. It absolutely brought the level of my recording up to that of any of the "big boys". It does take some time to master, and you really need to either "tweak" the factory pre-sets or create your own to get the best out of it. I've owned the TC Finalizer as well, which is not near as good. All said and done, it's the best piece of gear I've ever bought, and the only thing I own that I consider irreplaceable... :D

[quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b]The 6176 looks like a great unit. Whats that going for? I`m curious. Ernest[/b][/quote]Hey Ernest, I found this... [Universal Audio debuted the 6176 ($2,495 ), which combines the company's 2-610 microphone/instrument preamplifier and its 1176LN compressor in a rackmount channel strip. As the engineers were designing it, they added new quieter components that were unavailable to the orginal designers, while preserving the sound qualities of the units.] That means you could probably find the unit for 1999.99. :) I have not heard the Great River stuff, I can't seem to find anywhere local that sells their products. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

My cheap Peavey-Mik rocks me now for more than ten years. Good invested 90 DM (~ 40 dollars). I REALLY love it! Also my Behringer Tube-Ultrafex was a good choice. Worse were the Virtualizer and the Deltafex.

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

..hexaChord - independent movement for artificial arts..

Great Rivers...haven`t been able to find anyone who carries it yet either but the company is known for some superior pres. I`m very curious how it sounds and the MP NV2 is supposed to combine the Great Rivers ultra quiet pres with some Neve features. Has anyone reviewed this unit? If the UA unit is $1999, looks like a steal. Ernest

I haven't laid my paws on a lot of high end stuff in my "career." Currently, the single channel ADL tube compressor sitting in my studio pretty much outshines all its neighboring gear. I don't own it--it's on indefinite loan from its maker, who lives around the corner. My brother has a top of the line Larivee acoustic that seems really fine to me. Suits my playing better than the good Martins and Taylors I've tried. My good old strat is nothing to sneeze at, but it's very pedestrian--who doesn't have a good old strat? I've developed an advanced Love/hate relationship with my Korg Z1, which is a deep and surprising piece of gear, but somehow I can't bring myself to call a VA "fine" in the context of this thread. When I finally score that yardsale accordion, I'll let you know.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived