Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio Pic

[img]http://www.ameritech.net/users/lfarr/Control_Room_1.jpg[/img] My control room in my basement. I'm having construction done to complete the rest of the studio. Can't really afford the design I want but hey, we do what we can with what we have. Lawrence

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by loudist: [b]Looks sweet. The left nearfield monitor might be a bit close to the wall though, and aren't they a bit wide as well? Could be an optical illusion.[/b][/quote]That monitor is close to a wall where ther other is not. I've adjusted by angling them in towards the mix position and monitoring at reasonable levels. It works quite well as long as I don't get the levels up too high. I've got a Sony consumer sub-woofer under the Argosy console which has helped my mixes a lot. When you say "wide" do you mean "far apart"? They are on the very end of the console top. Lawrence

[quote]Originally posted by LawrenceF: I've got a Sony consumer sub-woofer under the Argosy console which has helped my mixes a lot. When you say "wide" do you mean "far apart"? They are on the very end of the console top. Lawrence[/QB][/quote]LF, I have a buddy with a similiar SONY sub. It works gangbusters for him. I too thought the horizontal distance between the nearfields was/is wide. What's the distance? Nice pad, by the way....

Yes, far apart. Like I said it could be misleading in the pic. They should be equa-distant from your ears to each other, like an equalateral triangle. The speaker near the wall could still cause reflections in the low mids and bass freq, coupling the bottom end. Doesn't that sub untie your shoes?

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]Shouldn't they also be standing upright, instead of laid on their sides like that?[/b][/quote]I don't believe so. The Monitor 1's were designed to set up horizontally. Besides, the way they are set up puts all of the speaker cones pretty much level with my ears. I was taught to believe that the tweeter should be "outside" for better phase cohesion. Don't know if that's true or not but they sound better to me horizontal. Most NS10's I've seen are horizontal also so there must be some validity to that. Dunno. They're sitting on "custom" speaker stands. Pieces of hollow 8" diameter rubber hoses I bought from the hardware for about $5 and cut into 2" sections to keep the speakers isolated from the Argosy console. My mixes immediately benefited from that. I haven't actually measured the distance between the speakers but they end up about 3.5 - 4 ft (I think) from each ear when I mix, sitting upright. Due to the moderate mixing levels I haven't had a problem from the left wall. The biggest problem I had was judging bass content which was solved by the addition of the sub woofer. Not a perfect room by any means which is why there are no large monitors being used. Lawrence

[quote]Originally posted by Rick Wade: [b]Dig the carpet on the floor ;) If you get to laying a proper floor, you should go the 70s retro and create baffles shrouded in that stuff! Cheers Rick[/b][/quote]Carpet? Actually that's tile. [quote][b]Forget all that. Do you work well in this environment? Some of my better mixes were done where the audio was not necessarily "on point", but I was able to latch in on a comfort zone. [/b] [/quote]Drew: You sir are a wise man. I've had people come into my studio and tell me how the 8 foot ceilings won't allow "pro" mixes and how the walls cause phase problems and all that kind of stuff. All I do is ignore them and continue to make good recordings and mixes. I get into my zone, monitor at reasonable levels and I do good work there. I know my room and I know my speakers. That's one reason I haven't upgraded the monitor 1's, I've grown accustomed to them and I can do very good mixes with them. Drew, are you a f*$king psychic or something? Oh I forgot. God blessed you with an extra helping of common sense. Lawrence

[quote]Originally posted by zele: [b] [img]http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm[/img] Th Argossy Desk looks a lot like our Omni---must be a West/East Coast thing cjogo http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm [/b][/quote]Damn those are some nice locations. Must be cool to be out in nature like that. Cool Zele. Lawrence

[quote]Originally posted by LawrenceF: ...Drew: You sir are a wise man. I've had people come into my studio and tell me how the 8 foot ceilings won't allow "pro" mixes and how the walls cause phase problems and all that kind of stuff. All I do is ignore them and continue to make good recordings and mixes. I get into my zone, monitor at reasonable levels and I do good work there. I know my room and I know my speakers.[/quote]Lawrence, Drew is on-the-money...I have the same attitude. Man, if I tried to "correct" all the theoretical acoustic problems in my room...I would need a bulldozer to come and level my house...and then about $ .5 mil to build it all back up again the right way. It's nice to dream...but the reality sinks in and you make do with what you have as best as you can...and surprisingly enough...most of the time you can do great stuff in rooms that would often get the "theoretical frown" by some snobby types. Anyway...I have my right side monitors closer to the wall than my left monitor…like your situation. What I did is put an extra thick layer of absorption on the right side wall...and there are also a lot of irregular surfaces there, which diffuses the early reflections. Sounds fine...and well balanced. Your room looks good…I gotta post some pics too…been meaning to put up a web site…ahhhh…one of these days….

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

There are always ways to work around a dodgy room, e.g. mixing at lower levels, using headphones and burning test mixes to listen to them elsewhere. After a while, I think the brain adapts and you automatically start to know how to compensate for a room (or a pair of monitors for that matter) anyway.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]There are always ways to work around a dodgy room, e.g. mixing at lower levels, using headphones and burning test mixes to listen to them elsewhere. After a while, I think the brain adapts and you automatically start to know how to compensate for a room (or a pair of monitors for that matter) anyway.[/b][/quote]I agree. I take several reference CDs with me when I work in other rooms. These rooms were designed by the latest "hot shot" and they all sound different, with hyped bass or other hot spots! What's with that? I think when you get into anything as esoteric as pro audio, it attracts all types of "snake oil" salesmen and people with more money than brains who buy the snake oil. Jim Jones comes to mind...

GY

Well, we finally got the track lighting installed! It looks [i]ok[/i], I guess. I cant wait until that loan gets approved so we can finally get a REAL console! [img]http://www.cellostudios.com/images/studio_photos/mixroom2.jpg[/img]

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by LawrenceF: [b] [quote]Originally posted by zele: [b] [img]http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm[/img] Th Argossy Desk looks a lot like our Omni---must be a West/East Coast thing cjogo http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm [/b][/quote]Damn those are some nice locations. Must be cool to be out in nature like that. Cool Zele. Lawrence[/b][/quote]>>>>>> the Indiana studio is located on a private lake with 50 acres..(my cousin) the newest is located along the SW Appalachians (Carolinas) with plenty of seclusion----only way to keep the neighbors happy --Carmel is my favorite!! best weather and a coastline to inspire --probably move the Lake Tahoe location,,,,too seasonal (20 ft snows )It seems to have become a warehouse for B3 organs......Glad you like them ^^^^^^ kindly CJoGo

[quote]Originally posted by Duhduh: [b]Well, we finally got the track lighting installed! It looks [i]ok[/i], I guess. I cant wait until that loan gets approved so we can finally get a REAL console! [/b][/quote]Wow! Now that is what a pro studio looks like. Cool. Makes my little basement studio look like a "portastudio". :thu: Very, very nice. Go 'head duhduh... Lawrence

My "studio" is laughable, but hey, it's more than a lot of people have, so I don't complain. It's some equipment crammed in a small second bedroom. However, it's really vibey because it's decorated with lots of cool looking Eastern stuff and has a shrine, a lava lamp, some Buddha batiks, some Indian stuff, blue walls, comfortable...my girlfriend and I hang out in it all the time because it's nice and comfortable and has all my CDs in there!

quoted by zap [quote] Don't get dizzy [/quote]Oh my god! I am like, so diz zey! A Juno 60 !I havent seen one in like,soooo long. (In sound of Lisa Kudrows voice) Hey, that looks just like my sons bedroom! (In sound of mature male adults voice)
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

Archived