Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joan Jett Blasts Rolling Stone

[quote]Originally posted by zork: [b]supposedly, the letter was not written by her, but an assistant or manager or something. hasn't rolling stone been a cheesy teen mag for at least 20 years? i sort of think joan jett is pretty cheesy, too, isn't she?[/b][/quote]I'm glad someone said it before I posted. Joan Jett is and always was cheezy...if that's RocknRoll you can have it...when I think of Joan Jett the word 'talent' rarely comes to mind. I would argue the only reason anyone has heard of her is the lyric "I love RocknRoll"...y'know if you say something often enough people really do start to believe it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Runaways were passable and she evolved into her own, as a player anyway. I'm not a fan and the letter seems a work of more than one... I wouldn't disgarre that RS has gone a bit far from the barn, but who could maintain market share when literates need to see more than a few syllables, and..god knows...be intersted not apathetic... The crux for me is..when Burger KIng, became BK, I guess it was just to darn much to form those syllables...the kicker was when DQ, took over for Dairy Queen... Go figure... Rob

The thing I don't get is when new bands who are "rock" get tons of press, people seem to jump all over them, too. (Hives, Stripes, Strokes...) What do people want? What if Poison or Journey were on the cover of Rolling Stone? How about Devo or Duran Duran? I read an interview with Sting (is he rock?), where he said rock music is a mongrel. I think that's pretty true. Since the early 60's, rock has mongrelized into a million different sounds with a million different influences, reggae, folk, classical, progressive, dance, disco, hiphop, rap, jazz, electronica... I think it's fair to call that crap rock. I think Pink is as much rock as fucking Joan Jett. Maybe I can't stand her, but so what? I don't know, maybe worrying about what rock is and what it isn't, is the sign that rock is dead and dying, like jazz people worrying about what is jazz.

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b]Lee's the only person who has actually referred to the case in point: what the hell is rock? Rolling Stone may suck, may not, who cares. But I am every bit as disturbed as Joan (or whoever wrote the letter) at the way that the word "rock" has expanded to include any type of popular music aimed at the youth. Jeff[/b][/quote]Yeah, That was the point of my thread, that the word rock has become irrelevant. [url=http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008838]IS ROCK DEAD?[/url] The RS cover just kinda' highlighted that point for me. But I wholeheartedly agree with the letter. RS is not just irrelevant, but pathetic as well.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

CMDN wrote: [quote]OK... Joan Jett = ROCK. Period. Pure attitude and balls to the wall. I'd give her head in a hearbeat. [/quote]Well, just so ya' know Joan likes girls, not boys. I met her last summer at a concert and her girlfriend is a total hottie'. Not that theres anything wrong with that. :D

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]CMDN wrote: [quote]OK... Joan Jett = ROCK. Period. Pure attitude and balls to the wall. I'd give her head in a hearbeat. [/quote]Well, just so ya' know Joan likes girls, not boys. I met her last summer at a concert and her girlfriend is a total hottie'. Not that theres anything wrong with that. :D [/b][/quote]I'm shocked! Are you saying that JJ is a Lesbian? Who'd a thunk it?
I really don't know what to put here.

Anyway, I used to like Rolling Stone, too, when they had the more interesting articles alongside the usual music stuff. Now it's just like reading Maxim or FHM. In all fairness though, I do have one issue of Maxim from October of 2000, the one with Jessica Alba on the cover :p I don't have any problem with Jett blasting RS, but personally, I would have avoided it. I mean, if I'm determined to sell my music anyway, I don't have to send it to that mag. I couldn't anyway... the problem of music being mass marketed as it is really lies with the advertisers, record execs, the media at large, and of course the people who buy it.

[quote]I'm shocked! Are you saying that JJ is a Lesbian? Who'd a thunk it?[/quote]Yeah Venkman, and she is definitely the man of the house, shaved head and all, if you know what I mean. Not that theres anything wrong with that. :D

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Yeppers, JJ definitely likes girls. But, I would like to state for the record that I'm a woman, I play ACTUAL rock music, and I LIKE BOYS! :D [/b][/quote]Thanks you Lee, So many of the good ones seem to be crossing over to the other side. It does me good to know that you are still in the pool. :)

Such high praise for JJ?!? I always thought she was bubble-gum tennie-bop rock, going all the way back to 'The Runaways', -of which I saw warm up for Rush back in '77 for 'All the World's a Stage Tour'. That show was probably the most mismatched bill in the history of r-n-r. :)
In two days, it won't matter.

I mixed for a the first band to play for the armed forces in Afghanistan and Pakistan, after 9/11. Prior to that, Joan Jett had toured the area, sans band. She was VERY cool to return with a band. In fact, she pushed to return with the band to rock out. The woman can play, sings with total punk rock attitude, and is committed to giving people a real show. Apparently, rock is dead. At least the term is. The last couple of posts would have you believe Pink is a rocker. They'd have you believe anything should be considered rock these days. Why? Rock takes influences from many other types of music, but whether or not I can present a definition of what rock encompasses, I can tell you I know it when I hear it. Even if I think the rock I hear sucks, I still can identify it as rock. Hip-hop ain't rock. Jazz ain't rock. Country ain't rock. Pink, Britney, etc. are definitely NOT rock, IMO.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]Such high praise for JJ?!? I always thought she was bubble-gum tennie-bop rock, going all the way back to 'The Runaways', -of which I saw warm up for Rush back in '77 for 'All the World's a Stage Tour'. That show was probably the most mismatched bill in the history of r-n-r. :) [/b][/quote]Thats right up there with Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees back in 68 I think. Not a fan of JJ, but I do agree that the points in the letter are very true. Also, she definitely deserved to be on that cover more than the chicks who were, not because she is so good, but because they are sooo.. bad.

Jotown... Yeah, I know Joan Jett is a lesbian. I thought everyone knew that. I was kind of making a joke about it, but in retrospect, I guess my "I'd give her head in a heartbeat" comment was a little obtuse. I probably should have said something like, "I'd give Joan a blowjob in a heartbeat, but I'm probably a little too butch for her tastes." I'm a total dyke daddy. I take care of lesbians the same way "fag hags" take care of gay men. Of course, the lesbians I hang out with are the kind that most straight men are scared of... the big chicks with muscles who wear overalls and drive trucks. These chicks rock. But I digress... Either way, Joan Jett is one of my favorites. I always liked her voice and attitude. Plus, she's from my area. She was born in a suburb of Philly. And Rolling Stone is a chunk of nutty shit these days. I wouldn't give you a nickel for a truckload of em.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by RM: [b] The crux for me is..when Burger KIng, became BK, I guess it was just to darn much to form those syllables...the kicker was when DQ, took over for Dairy Queen... Go figure... Rob[/b][/quote]OMG!!! The one that really pissed me off was that bargain chain store changing its name to BIG!LOTS! Do they really view the American consumers as total morons? [i]...in Neanderthal voice[/i] BIG! LOTS!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

CMDN wrote: [quote]Jotown... Yeah, I know Joan Jett is a lesbian. I thought everyone knew that. I was kind of making a joke about it, but in retrospect, I guess my "I'd give her head in a heartbeat" comment was a little obtuse. [/quote]Not that there is anythinng wrong with that. :D

[quote]Originally posted by Duhduh: [b] [quote]Originally posted by RM: [b] The crux for me is..when Burger KIng, became BK, I guess it was just to darn much to form those syllables...the kicker was when DQ, took over for Dairy Queen... Go figure... Rob[/b][/quote]OMG!!! The one that really pissed me off was that bargain chain store changing its name to BIG!LOTS! Do they really view the American consumers as total morons? [i]...in Neanderthal voice[/i] BIG! LOTS![/b][/quote]I sincerely hope you're joking. The store you are referring to is called Big Lots! No exclamation after "Big" and it's not intended to mean, "Lots (as in an amount of) stuff" The word is plural of lot, as in, "We will now auction off lot #32...) Big (groups {of discounted stuff}). Get it? As for the attention span of americans in the eyes of corporations, try KFC! They also changed to divert our attention from the word fried.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Yeppers, JJ definitely likes girls. But, I would like to state for the record that I'm a woman, I play ACTUAL rock music, and I LIKE BOYS! :D [/b][/quote]Yeah, but I bet you'd like me more if I was a movie star. :D Our whole POP culture has lost it's way.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Yeppers, JJ definitely likes girls. But, I would like to state for the record that I'm a woman, I play ACTUAL rock music, and I LIKE BOYS! :D [/b][/quote]Yeah, but I bet you'd like me more if I was a movie star. :D Our whole POP culture has lost it's way.[/b][/quote]You haven't been paying attention. She'd like you more if you were a drummer. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived