Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On topic...musicians as political activists...

Okay, so, we're a music forum. We're not supposed to discuss stuff non-music related. However...musicians have been doing just that at least since the Vietnam War. Lending their influence to social and political causes...from Country Joe and the Fish to John Lennon, to Joan Baez, to the No-Nukes stuff Jackson Browne was a part of...to the other end of the spectrum and Ted Nugent. So...it seems that music and socio-political issues go hand in hand. Or should musicians just subscribe to the "shut up and play your guitar" philosophy?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Music and ploitics? No problem, as long as you're well versed on both topics. Imagine going to see your favourite band, they don't show. Instead they've hired 5 hobo's who've never played an instrument in their lives! Ughhh terrible. Well that's the way I feel when I hear talented musicians/songwriters singing or talking about politics when they really haven't any knowledge or insight about what they're talking about. Manic Street Preachers are probably the most political whilst knowing what they're talking about in recent history (tho' I'm sure there are others) P.s No disrespect meant to hobo's !! I love 'em, tho' I couldn't eat a whole one ;) CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Lest we not forget Woody Guthrie, who crusaded across the country (USA) for blue collar workers armed with only his guitar with the slogan painted on it "This machine kills Fascists" [img]http://home.clara.net/rlang/images/this_machine_kills_fascists.jpg[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster the Pilgrim: [b]Okay, so, we're a music forum. We're not supposed to discuss stuff non-music related. However...musicians have been doing just that at least since the Vietnam War. Lending their influence to social and political causes...from Country Joe and the Fish to John Lennon, to Joan Baez, to the No-Nukes stuff Jackson Browne was a part of...to the other end of the spectrum and Ted Nugent. So...it seems that music and socio-political issues go hand in hand. Or should musicians just subscribe to the "shut up and play your guitar" philosophy?[/b][/quote]I think it depends on the musician. Some are very aware of what's going on and really do the research. Others seem to gravitate to what they think is cool or will be perceived as the right reaction by their peers. Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Well I totally respect and dig Midnight Oil. They're about the only band I can think of who never wrote a love song. All of their material is about politics and the human condition, of course from the Australian point of view. I used to work with an Aussy girl in one of my bands. She said none of the cover bands played any Midnight Oil in her country. It was kind of a respect thing.

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [QBIf someone [i]has[/i] to do a political or activist-type song, I prefer if it's done subtly... Or that it's vague enough so it'll go over many folks' heads... Or be open to more than one interpretation...[/QB][/quote]Exactly, a song about a specific event or cause becomes dated if it's too specific. [i]Sunday Bloody Sunday[/i] works because it paints a picture of injustice in general terms. Instead of saying, [quote] This is our cause (blah, blah, blah) and they're wrong (yeah, yeah, yeah) and they killed and wounded this many of our people on Sunday down at...[/quote]instead, it says, [quote]Yes... I can't believe the news today Oh, I can't close my eyes And make it go away How long... How long must we sing this song? How long? How long... 'cause tonight...we can be as one Tonight... Broken bottles under children's feet Bodies strewn across the dead end street But I won't heed the battle call It puts my back up Puts my back up against the wall Sunday, Bloody Sunday Sunday, Bloody Sunday Sunday, Bloody Sunday And the battle's just begun There's many lost, but tell me who has won The trench is dug within our hearts And mothers, children, brothers, sisters Torn apart Sunday, Bloody Sunday Sunday, Bloody Sunday How long... How long must we sing this song? How long? How long... 'cause tonight...we can be as one Tonight...tonight... Sunday, Bloody Sunday Sunday, Bloody Sunday Wipe the tears from your eyes Wipe your tears away Oh, wipe your tears away Oh, wipe your tears away (Sunday, Bloody Sunday) Oh, wipe your blood shot eyes (Sunday, Bloody Sunday) Sunday, Bloody Sunday (Sunday, Bloody Sunday) Sunday, Bloody Sunday (Sunday, Bloody Sunday) And it's true we are immune When fact is fiction and TV reality And today the millions cry We eat and drink while tomorrow they die (Sunday, Bloody Sunday) The real battle just begun To claim the victory Jesus won On... Sunday Bloody Sunday Sunday Bloody Sunday... [/quote]The point is made with timeless passion and the song will outlive the event. It's a protest against suffering and oppression and a call to redemption. THAT is how to write a politcal song. Not the only way. But one way that really, really works. Yours in Music, Ben Fury

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

Actions speak louder than words. I have a lot of respect for Bono going to Africa to make the west aware of the horrible poverty over there. John Lennon was another great activist, to the point of nearly losing his naturalization rights. You gotta respect a person that has nothing to gain (and often times, more to lose) for helping people. If these musicians, actors, atheletes actually DO something, I think it's a great thing. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

Archived