Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Compression" of artistic talent

There is great music coming out of Africa, the Caribbean, Cologne, Finland, the Dominican Republic, etc...one look at Link-TV's world music videos should allay your fears that all music has gone to hell. There's lots of good stuff, spend some time with internet radio and you'll be blown away. Hell, tune into WZZR here in Vero Beach on weekend evenings, and you'll hear some great DJing you won't hear on mainstream radio.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]Lee Flier, I agree with everything you just said. To the letter. Hell, sometimes I think we're the same person. Then I remember that you're a white, female rock guitarist, and I'm a male jazz pianist of undisclosed ethnicity. Other than that, we're pretty close.[/b][/quote]LOL!! Well I am of Jewish ethnicity if that gets us any closer. :D But, always nice to find kindred spirits. [quote][b] The thing that frustrates me is that I know there are so many great bands that I've never heard. I don't have the TIME to sift through all of the crap to find them.[/b][/quote]Yeah, that's the tough part. And then when you do find something great it's kind of depressing to think that probably hardly anyone will hear it. But, I just try to show appreciation and support for underground artists I like, by buying their CD's, going to their shows, and generally being a good groupie. :) It IS nice to see artists who appreciate your support as opposed to big stars who couldn't care less. And with major concert prices being what they are nowadays, supporting underground acts is nicer on the wallet too.

[quote] LOL!! Well I am of Jewish ethnicity if that gets us any closer. But, always nice to find kindred spirits. [/quote]Oy vey! Such a deal! :D ....but are you sure you name is not...Flierwitz? :freak: Lee, I welcome your attitude about supporting the non-label folks. And even the no-name label material can be the best. My best buddy is in NRBQ. Never heard of them? Many haven't. They are together over 30 years I think, and they have quite a following. No big label, just good music and good times. There are so many NRBQ's out there, and I am determined to hear em' all, dagnabbit! ---(the other) LEE

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Archived