Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a question to ask you.... What is Country Music?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Country is Willie, Waylon, & Johnny. It's also Jerry Reed, the Charlie Daniels Band, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams ([b]not jr.[/b]), George Jones, George Straight, Marty Robbins, and Faron Young. If you wanna hear "ol' timey" country, rent "O'brother, where art thou?" :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Country music today has almost nothing to do with early country music. Country music today is no different than modern pop music except for the instrumentation and the way the words are pronounced. Pedal steel, fiddle and acoustic guitar are a part of modern country music. So if it has a sax in it, it's pop. Modern pop and country are mixed exactly the same way except in country the vocals are usually more "on top" but drums, guitars, etc. are all produced the same. It is this over produced quality that has killed country music. Old timey and bluegrass are derived from the deep back woods of kentucky and the coal mining towns. A couple of folks had a guitar, maybe a fiddle, maybe a banjo, maybe a washtub bass, maybe a washboard. The songs are loosly based on Irish jigs. Bill Monroe, the father of bluegrass originated the "high lonesome" sound with a high tenor voice and guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo and bass. Old timey is usually mostly fiddle music. If there is such a thing, old timey is actualy unrefined bluegrass. Modern coutry is pop music that is danced to in a line by psuedo-cowboys who wear huge belt buckles that are really just tombstones to a dead muscle.. Real cowboys DON'T line dance...

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[img]http://www.musicgirl.net/pics/dolly_parton_picture.jpg[/img] Country music?
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound: [b]Country music today has almost nothing to do with early country music. Country music today is no different than modern pop music except for the instrumentation and the way the words are pronounced. Pedal steel, fiddle and acoustic guitar are a part of modern country music. So if it has a sax in it, it's pop. Modern pop and country are mixed exactly the same way except in country the vocals are usually more "on top" but drums, guitars, etc. are all produced the same. It is this over produced quality that has killed country music. Old timey and bluegrass are derived from the deep back woods of kentucky and the coal mining towns. A couple of folks had a guitar, maybe a fiddle, maybe a banjo, maybe a washtub bass, maybe a washboard. The songs are loosly based on Irish jigs. Bill Monroe, the father of bluegrass originated the "high lonesome" sound with a high tenor voice and guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo and bass. Old timey is usually mostly fiddle music. If there is such a thing, old timey is actualy unrefined bluegrass. [/b][/quote]hay! that's whut I was a'gonna say now GZ dang it chew! GZ has a very goode grasp of the QUESTION NRAKI! [quote] Modern coutry is pop music that is danced to in a line by psuedo-cowboys who wear huge belt buckles that are really just tombstones to a dead muscle.. Real cowboys DON'T line dance... [/quote]AND they DO iffen they get DRONK ENOUGH. ahahaha! but seriously folkes; HI NARAKI! peace be upon you! Welcome to THE US and the american way! trust no one "OFFICIAL" and guard your back,lock your doors and take no prisoners. GZ said it well in answer to your question. Country music is simply Folke music of a given region. Such as Hillbilly music is Bluegrass or MOUNTAIN MUSIC. With PRIMITIVE INSTUMENTS that the EARLY SETTLERS either crafted or brought with them from the VARIOUS ELDE countries along with their chordings and voicings and tunes. These hardy and simple folke would gather and play their FIDDLES and MANDOLINS and Banjoes and keep time on wash boards and eventually guitars were added as well as many other FOLKE INSTUMENTS which is why mountian music or BLUE GRASS is so recognizeable and (for this writer) is FOLKE MUSIC in it's PUREST form. Now, COUNTRY or COWBOY music is a melange of styles and influences and quite easily can be grouped into several CATAGORIES or subgroups and we could argue back and forth all day as to what constitutes THE ONE DEFINING ELEMENT OF COUNTRY MUSIC. The FOLKE music that is called country Simply cause of folke that "lived in the country side not the CITY" has evolved and changed and become a NEW style of music. This evolved style, some call: NEW COUNTRY, which is ONE STORY SONG after another with the usual ELEMENTS:twangy Clean guitars,regionalised vocals,pedal steel,and poppy arrangements ,this music is accepted as country by many yet I call HANK WILLIAMS SR. and merle, and willy:STONED COUNTRY mostly. TO ME, hank williams JUNIOR, garth, and alan is NEW COUNTRY mostly. to this writer,Ricky skaggs is blue grass mostly. then you have all the IN BETWEEN permutations. rock-abilly, country blues, ect...

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

in my humble opinion, the only American Country music to be found, is bluegrass and its many forms, or in the setlist of an alt country artist/band. Its sad when you have to go alternative to find authentic country music. Nashville country reminds me of Nsync with pedal steels. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived