Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: What do you use to mix? Please vote!

What do you use to mix? Control surface? Mixer? All within a DAW? Please vote, as this information will be very helpful for an article I'm writing. If you use more than one of the options, vote for the one you use the most.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I picked DAW with control surface (PT LE / Digi 002), but I nearly picked Digital mixer with stand alone multitrack, since that comes fairly close to describing my dual AW4416's. But I really wasn't given the "right" choice to pick, since I pretty much rely equally on the stand alone DAW's (AW4416's) which are really combo digital mixers / digital multitracks, as well as a computer DAW program with a controller (Digi 002 / PT LE). BTW Craig, I did like your DAW controller article from a couple of issues back. :cool:

I used to be all analog but I have moved over to DAW exclusively. LOVE IT!!!! I have to say that since I use Reason in Rewire with Cubase for many if not all of my content creation needs my music never leaves my computer until it is launched out onto the web or hermetically sealed in plastic via CD. Leaves me feeling a little nostalgic for the bygone days of miles of cable and hum once in a while. NOT! I guess I don’t mind if my music never breathes real air. The trade off is quiet and clean and seamless audio. I really like that. :thu: - DJDM

I do have a digital mixer but can't figure why I'd use it to mix, other than to monitor through it. The stuff I'm mixing is in the DAW, and I can mouse on it nearly as fast a a Wewus. But I don't have a lot of tracks. Here's a question: Do folks who often mix large projects (here I mean more than 12 tracks) tend to use something external to their DAW/multitracker? -mark
Rubber Lizard Studio

I sold my digital mixer 2 years ago and I haven't looked back. I do it in the box. Still learning how to do it well, but for me it's the only way to go now.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

It's all in the DAW now and my control surface sits gathering dust. I was so sure I'd need faders when I switched from analog to DAW... then I learned a few key command shortcuts and suddenly the control surface looked like a time sink not a time saver. Your in Music, Ben Fury

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

Entirely within the DAW. I mean, I would need a 64-track mixer for most of my projects, and I frankly don't have the money OR the SPACE for something that big. I know you can use a smaller mixer to mix that many tracks, but it just seems easier for me to mix within the DAW. I don't miss touching the faders enough to buy a mixer. Cakewalk/Sonar RULEZ!!! [img]http://www.420recordsgroup.com/images/smilies/putersmiley.gif[/img]

I'm surprised by how many people use DAWs without a control surface. I think the Peavey PC1600x midi fader box (approx. $250) is one of the best kept secrets in electronic music. I find that it saves a lot of time to be able to control multiple channels concurrently rather than doing it all by mouse. The PC1600x is also useful for many other Midi functions. I also using for tweaking virtual synths and controlling my Pod. It doesn't have moving faders or other features found on more expensive units, but its easy to program, has 16 faders, and the faders have a nice feel. I do a lot of recording of jams to ADAT. Instead of transferring the material to the DAW's hard drives, if I just want a quick mix without doing any editing, I route my ADAT's optical out to the DAW (Mac with Digital Performer & MOTU 2408)and route the DAW's SPDIF out to a stand alone CD burner. That way I can use all of my effects plug-ins without having to go to the trouble of transferring the material to hard drive. Using the PC 1600x control surface gives me the best of both worlds-tons of effects options with the plug-ins, and quick results.

Read your DAW article, too, Craig and I was thinking of getting a controller for my PTLE 001 rig. It's funny to read a lot of you are going the opposite direction. I mix with my mouse and I don't have a problem with it. The thing I notice though, is I tend to round up or down to a nice number. Say for a fader, if a track sound good on - 2.69 dB, I end up typing in -3.0 dB. My settings tend to end in .0 or .5 but nothing else. It's kind of anal, really. I was thinking a controller would let me serve the mix better rather than my analness (or is it my anality?). :D

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[quote]Originally posted by Rubber Lizard Studios: [b]Here's a question: Do folks who often mix large projects (here I mean more than 12 tracks) tend to use something external to their DAW/multitracker? [/b][/quote]Well, those who have the money. :D I think it sounds a lot better to mix out through an analog console but I don't have the cash for that myself. If I did, at the very least I'd get a RADAR and a Soundcraft Ghost. That'd be my dream "budget" setup but it ain't really that "budget." :D I do enjoy mixing on my AW4416, seeing as I like real faders and the automation is very easy to use. Mixing in a DAW doesn't do it for me, but there are many who seem to enjoy it.

Also can't choose "preferred method". The last two or three weeks I've been mixing virtually out of necessity because I'm no longer sharing the studio I was at that had a board. Not my board. I'd prefer something like a Dangerous 2 Bus for analog summing and a control surface but that's not know. I have pretty cool outbaord pres, compressors and reverbs but not the other . . . dang.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[b]CRAIG:[/b] Did you have any preconceptions as to how this poll would turn out? Has it turned out the way you would have predicted? I've noticed that, as the number of respondents increases, the percentages remain fairly consistent. I don't know whether that observation has any significance.

Recording/playback with 24 channels of MOTU 2408 IIs (soon to be Mk IIIs). All tracks are kept discrete to a Mackie 32 • 8. Mixing to stereo within the DAW and a 2 channel sound card sucks. Too much number crunching... like squeezing a pine tree through a small funnel.

GY

<> I had no clue whatsoever. Mitch and I are contemplating a feature article for EQ that relates to combining mixers with DAWs, and I wanted to do a little research before deciding what approach to take. Thanks to everyone who voted or plans to vote. I realize in retrospect that the choices weren't the best they could have been, but fortunately, they were good enough to provide what I needed. Also, your comments have been very helpful. Thanks again!

Up to last month I used my DAW through the Ghost 32. I liked it but there was some bottom 60 cycle hum I couldn't track down. I've heard others complain about the same thing. But I just had all the faders at unity and used 24 tracks, many bussed. I used some outboard compression and eq. It was very cool. Now though it's more "clean" but doesn't have that BREATH thing.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived