Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Real Salesmanship

As you might know I've been a piano tuner/technician for a long time. As part of my job I've also at times been involved in sales. You know what...... there are people that have a great talent for this line of work and then there are most of the other people that work in the field. Real Salesmen are few and far between. These are the people who know their product inside and out AND know how to communicate with their customers. What I see a lot of is... people who know a little bit about communication, and jackshit about what they are trying to sell or VICE VERSA. It's hard to find someone who is really good at both aspects of the job. When you find a person who knows their product inside and out AND knows how to communicate and create a rapport with their customers, wholesale Or retail, then you have found that very rare and great individual.... a REAL SALESMAN. REAL SALESMEN DO NOT LIE! What a wild statement that is, but it's true. REAL SALESMEN combine their complete knowledge of their product and their intuition of people to make a sale, AND the people I'm describing always sell more and are at the TOP in their company. REAL SALESMANSHIP seems to be one of those things that is extremely hard to teach, and it is a [b]TRUE TALENT![/b] I think like a lot of things it's a talent that some people are born with. I hope when you're out making an important purchase, musical products or otherwise, you find one of these people that I call REAL SALESMEN because they are a blessing, and will help you make the right decision. They are, unfortunately, few and far between.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. To me a real salesman knows more than just how to turn on the keyboard you are looking at and press the demo button. Unfortunately, to the boss the real salesman is the person that can get rid of that stack of equipment you would not wish on your worst enimy. What they don't see is in the long run, the customer's (or the Wewus) definition of a real salesman is needed to keep that customer coming back. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The first job I have ever held was a sales associate at my local music supercenter (my ass). I found that the customers taught me more about the finer workings of music than years of lessons ever could. I went out of my way to learn every single thing I could about what I was selling, and if we got ahold of a P.O.S. on trade I wouldnt sell it. Wewus, you are totaly correct about the differances between a good salesperson and a shlepp. Most of the jobs I have had required salemanship, and as a salesman I pride myself in being truthfull. While the top sellers make more money, they dont last as long. If you rush someone out the door with a purchase that they didnt want, it comes back. That is what a good sales manager looks for. If you cant keep something out the door, you are worthless in their oppinion. Its a shame in my oppinion that good sales people are so freaking hard to find, especialy in music equipment. One suggestion I would make to anyone buying equipment, talk to the person that is not kissing your ass. If you have someone that will be frank with you, that is the person that will give you the best deal on the gear thats right for you. Sorry for the rant. Iaian

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

Amen. Unfortunately, the thing most people associate with being a "good salesman" is some sleazy Herb Tarlek type dude wearing plaid slacks and offering a lot of high pressure and a voice like a ol' southern preacher.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It's sad that 99% of sales trainers do not seem to stress this simple fact. All of the sales training I ever recieved was heavily focused on closing. When I was a commissioned sales person I almost never had to use closing tactics. A good salesman should be aggressive in terms of letting the customer know all of the information that they need to buy now but most of the guys I saw that could close used sales techniques instead of selling the customer what he needs. That Is why i love my current job in tech support. I don't sell anything but what is in my brain.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

I've been a semi-pro musician for the past 25 years ago but my real income generation for the past 17 years has come from sales. I have sold everything from cars to million-dollar data infrastructure systems. Thrashole makes a good point. There are so many churn'n'burn sales operations where the only "sales training" is "Do whatever it takes to get in front of the customer and get in there and close the deal!". It's sad. Personally, I teach a completely different sales method. In my sales world, the relationship is key. If the salesperson doesn't completely understand the customer and what they are trying to accomplish (regardless of the product or service in question), they might as well go home because they are doing themselves and the customer no good. In my current position, I direct a team of 5 seemingly professional salespeople. Of the five, only one "gets it". Coincidently, this one is the most successful. He never prospects for business because he can't even keep up with the referrals he's getting from his existing customers. He maintains solid professional relationships, goes out of his way to understand the business goals of his customers and frankly, never has to close. His customers just automatically buy. In my company, he ranks #1 for the year in closing ratio, total sales, average sale and accounts in the pipeline. Go figure. I wish I could get this attitude through the thick heads of my other salespeople while they're floundering. I've only been in my position for three months but am about ready to cut a couple of these guys loose. Anybody know of any GOOD salespeople in Wisconsin? I need a couple.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]REAL SALESMEN DO NOT LIE! What a wild statement that is, but it's true. REAL SALESMEN combine their complete knowledge of their product and their intuition of people to make a sale, AND the people I'm describing always sell more and are at the TOP in their company.[/b] That’s the trick! To be a good salesman you essentially have to be honest! I can’t count the times when I told a customer, “I don’t know, but I’ll find out for you.” They appreciated my candor and felt that I was and would go the extra mile to make sure they were satisfied. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Iaian: [b]..... and if we got a hold of a P.O.S. on trade I wouldn't sell it.[/b] One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Some people don’t have the money for the new shiny box. Even though they may want it , sometimes they need a starter kit. Originally posted by thrashole369: [b]A good salesman should be aggressive in terms of letting the customer know all of the information that they need to buy now but most of the guys I saw that could close used sales techniques instead of selling the customer what he needs.[/b] That’s actually what the job is, selling the customer what he/she [b]needs[/b], not what they want or dream of having. Those kinds of sales NEVER come back.[/quote]Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

[quote]Originally posted by PBBPaul: [b]I've been a semi-pro musician for the past 25 years ago but my real income generation for the past 17 years has come from sales. I have sold everything from cars to million-dollar data infrastructure systems. Thrashole makes a good point. There are so many churn'n'burn sales operations where the only "sales training" is "Do whatever it takes to get in front of the customer and get in there and close the deal!". It's sad. Personally, I teach a completely different sales method. In my sales world, the relationship is key. If the salesperson doesn't completely understand the customer and what they are trying to accomplish (regardless of the product or service in question), they might as well go home because they are doing themselves and the customer no good. In my current position, I direct a team of 5 seemingly professional salespeople. Of the five, only one "gets it". Coincidently, this one is the most successful. He never prospects for business because he can't even keep up with the referrals he's getting from his existing customers. He maintains solid professional relationships, goes out of his way to understand the business goals of his customers and frankly, never has to close. His customers just automatically buy. In my company, he ranks #1 for the year in closing ratio, total sales, average sale and accounts in the pipeline. Go figure. I wish I could get this attitude through the thick heads of my other salespeople while they're floundering. I've only been in my position for three months but am about ready to cut a couple of these guys loose. Anybody know of any GOOD salespeople in Wisconsin? I need a couple.[/b][/quote]As a matter of fact I do. :D I am moving back into the greater milwaukee area in about three weeks and guess what? I need a job. Man I am really shameless, lol. But hey, if you are interested in talking some more just private message me. By the way, if you are in need of a bass player I could probably find one easily enough. :D Iaian.

San Andreas,

Nah, its not that bad but the wife has changed her mind on where she wants to be at school next fall. That and we have a child on the way and kind of want to be around our family. Hey if you want though, we will stop by and bother you on our way out. :D Or if you are planning to get down near the beach in the next three weeks, gimme a heads up. There are a lot of good music clubs in the area. The rednecks are just comic relief anyway, we have our share in wisconsin. Iaian

San Andreas,

Into Delafield, just west of waukesha. About a half an hour (mabye less on a good day) from milwaukee. We should be all moved in by December 14th, if all goes well. Iaian.

San Andreas,

Archived