Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quoted from CNN: SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- A Japanese supercomputer that studies the climate and other aspects of the Earth maintained its ranking as the world's fastest computer, according to a study released Friday. The Earth Simulator in Yokohama, Japan, performs 35.86 trillion calculations per second -- more than 4 1/2 times greater than the next-fastest machine. :freak: And [url=http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/biztech/11/15/fastest.computer.ap/index.html]here[/url] is the link. Do you think I could get Nuendo to run on this thing? :eek:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, this brings up an interesting question of DAWs doing distributed tasks. I wish I could network the machines I have so that I could utilize all their resources effectively. We use distributed rendering at work for 3D animations, and I know digital audio is a completely different animal, but if only the same concept could be used. I'd throw out my old computers even more rarely.
Andrew Mazzocchi

[quote]Originally posted by Ultravibe: [b]Actually, this brings up an interesting question of DAWs doing distributed tasks. I wish I could network the machines I have so that I could utilize all their resources effectively. [/b][/quote]Doesn't Cubase SX do that with VST effects? I thought you could chain computers together to get more signal processing power.

Look at the number of self-made clusters in that list. I was pleasantly surprised. I have had the privelege on working on some of those machines. Always dreamt of building a small Beowulf cluster for music, but someone needs to make a good Linux-DAW first prog

I heard on the news this morning about the U.S. military awarding a contract to IBM (I think) to build a supercomputer that will do 100trillion calcs a second. If you want to build your own cluster check out [url=http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/appleseed/appleseed.html]Appleseed[/url] Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

[quote] I heard on the news this morning about the U.S. military awarding a contract to IBM (I think) to build a supercomputer that will do 100trillion calcs a second. [/quote]I read this also, the chip is called something 5. It also said this was the chip that apple was working with them on to put into macs. I dont know the details and dont claim to be a chip guru.

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Ultravibe: [b]Actually, this brings up an interesting question of DAWs doing distributed tasks. I wish I could network the machines I have so that I could utilize all their resources effectively. [/b][/quote]Doesn't Cubase SX do that with VST effects? I thought you could chain computers together to get more signal processing power.[/b][/quote]Yes Cubase SX does do that. There's your answer Hank! Salma

Archived