Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Last Waltz"...Garth Hudson, etc....

lightnin digits

...I watched "The Last Waltz" last weekend.

Had forgotten how unique The Band was and what an unusual yet technically sound keyboard player Garth Hudson was.

Hudson had one of the most unorthodox styles as well as one-of-a-kind rigs, anchored by an Allen (I believe) Organ.

I've never seen them, or Hudson live-but have a bunch of their albums; what are your thoughts about this band and this keyboard player?

Soylent Green is People!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Garth Hudson is such a great, often overlooked, keyboard player with a very unique "voice". His role in The Band seems the mortar holding everything together. (Ben Tench's role in The Heartbreakers reminds me a bit of Hudson.) He was the most musically educated member of The Band, and IIRC, he gave lessons to some of his bandmates. "Chest Fever" rules. And, yes, it was a Lowrey organ.

I agree: as far as his musical skills & influence, GH was the real deal.

He also produced & played in some band(s) later (the Cult?).

My favorite bit is the intro to "Chest Fever"...but has anybody else noticed that Prince used that as the intro progression to "1999" ?!

:freak::cool:

I don't beleive, d, that Prince's intro was note for note, but close enough to take notice! When first hearing it, before the rest of the tune took off, I thought it was going to be some kind of cover. Garth seemed to do some pretty advanced sounding stuff with what seemed to be limited equipment. It struck me he preffered to do ALL he could with what he had instead of adding more gear to achieve his results. I've said before that the Band's Robbie Robertson was an underrated guitarist. It seems he wasn't the ONLY one in the group that was underrated.

And what I really dug about Garth was that he never seemed to be watching what he was doing!

He just KNEW!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived