Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cant get EFX working in cubase from Piano

Antonio7

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post.

Anyway, what it is, is that i have a Roland digital Piano (KR577), and it has Chorus, Reverb, and EFX (45) on it. The EFX is just a single bus. When I record into Cubase 5.1, I can't seem to get the Effect working (like Phaser, Rotary etc) the Chorus/reverb are ok. However, when I save my sequence on my piano in SMF format, and put in on a floppy (having recorded a sequence on my piano with EFX etc) I put the floppy in the PC, load it into Cubase, and the EFX *DO* work then!.hmmm. Whats the problem?. I have only had Cubase a few weeks, so new to it, and maybe not read enough of the manual, but i would like to hear the EFX as i record them into Cubase, instead of having to record them on my piano's sequencer first (30,000 notes, 120 PPQN BTW).

It's all a Midi issue by the way, audio is not involved in this process

Thanks

Antonio7

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with your kybd, so this is a wild guess.

Perhaps, the chorus & reverb transmit (& respond to) General MIDI (GM) commands when turned on & off, while the other FX you mention transmit or are enabled via System Exclusive? (This would resemble what Roland does on many of their other kybds that support the GM spec.)

If so, in VST 5.1 check under Options > MIDI Setup > Filtering. I believe that by default Cubase has SysEx checked (to be filtered out during recording).

Thanks for reply.

Couldn't get anything working with this method as such, but tried around with midi input transformer, and not sure what I did, but the effect suddenly started working. However, I shut down Cubase, turned Piano off, and now I have to get it back again. Not totally sure what it is.

however, if i load a midi file in from my recording on the Piano (same as a Roland XV88 in effect) with effects and all, they work in cubase as i said. And even if i delete the part from the loaded track, the effect will still work for that particular track on a blank part etc. So I could use this method for the time being I suppose. If though, however, I didn't record an Effect on "track one" say (on my Piano), then i can't get the effect to work on track/Part ONE in cubase....it will only work on the track I recordered using the effect on my Piano. In this case "Rotary". I suppose I could set up a template, with all my recordings done on my Keyboard, along with the Effects etc, load it into cubase, Delete the parts, then save it.

Cheers.

A7

Archived