Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Earplugs while driving

I recently bought some Filtered Earplugs and have started to wear them while I commute (45 minutes to an hour each way). I must say that I it's improved my listening. My ears are fresher when I start the day, and aren't fatigued from the low end crap from the drive and the mid range crap from trying turn up the radio above the din. The filtered ones let enough mids through that I don't have to turn up the radio as loud as I did without the plugs! Just thought I'd pass this along to any other commuters out there. Frank

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y'know, that's a pretty good idea. I have a problem when I'm commuting, with the sun shining right in my eyes. Maybe I'll get myself a blindfold, and cut a tiny hole in each side so only a little light will get in, and my eyes can get a rest. Anyone need a ride to work? :p

I always wear earplugs when I play acoustic drums -nothing special, just the drugstore cheapies. I can adjust how much isolation I want by how far I push them in. I have found that I hear SO MUCH better with them than without. My drums sound better, the band sounds better, I can hear conversations just fine. I lose a little high-end, and A LOT of noise. I think your brain compensates a little for the high-end loss. Some people complain that it makes them feel detached from their instrument, but I find it makes me play better. Less heavy-handed (you have to focus a little though. When I first wore plugs, I broke a cymbal! So, focus on what you ARE hearing, not what you're NOT hearing), more attention to detail and sound quality, much more relaxed and less fatigued. I'd recommend them to anyone!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I sometimes use plugs or industrial headphone type ear protection when the guys I play with get frisky with their knobs and drumsticks. I've already experienced some loss and ringing in my ears called tinnitus from several loud activities and occupations other than standing in front of amplifiers. I find that I can play most everything except trumpet, which is really wierd with ear protection. Singing ain't all that great, either, but I'd rather do that than have my ears ring for the next day or so. My new used van has headphone jacks by the seat behind the driver's seat, and I like turning some music on kind of low with them on. It does drown out a lot of the ambient junk noise in traffic, though it's possibly illegal.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

As many people seem to be driving with blindfolds on, earplugs can't be that big a deal. But I've never felt the need for them while driving except when I'm shuttling my wife and a couple of her sisters around. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by spigots: [b]I recently bought some Filtered Earplugs ... [url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021119072140067105093130357083/search/g=home/detail/base_id/35825]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=02111907214006710509313035708 3/search/g=home/detail/base_id/35825[/url] ... ...Just thought I'd pass this along to any other commuters out there. Frank[/b][/quote]Hey, Frank. Good post. I have to wonder though, if you'll hear emergency warning signals with them in. Whether we're talking about police/fire/ambulance sirens, another car's horn, or the sound of skidding tires on pavement, there have been many times I've had difficulty hearing these sounds before they were very close [i]without[/i] earplugs. I assure you my hearing is fine. Be careful out there. An OT point. In the future, when using the URL button in the reply screen, please type a word or phrase in the second box instead of simply hitting enter. As with your link, some URL's are so long they force the forum to scroll horizontally. I've reproduced your [url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021119072140067105093130357083/search/g=home/detail/base_id/35825]link here[/url] as an example. Thanks, in advance!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived