Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Do you guys know the big Hollywood stars do commercials in Japan?

I've been wondering about this. we rarely see any Hollywood stars on TV in the US, but in Japan, the most famous Hollywood stars (anyone you can think of, really) do lots of commercials. Some of them say stupid things in Japanese..... I wonder why anyone doesn't report this.... This'd be really interesting. They've been asking the media not to report this...? There might be something fishy going on. What do you think? Did you know this? I was really disappointed that Ringo Star (spell? he's one of the Beatles) did a stupid commercial in Japan... By the way, this is my first post. I guess this place is like a bar where musicians get together. I like it! Nice to meet you all! :wave:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never been in Japan, but my good fellow (who's a violin player of Kremerata Baltica) have been there a couple of times. He noticed quite several commercials with big stars. One for sure was Arnold Schwarzenegger doing :thu: for some Japanese beer (and yes, saying something in Japanese). Also he saw "Mr. Bean" (Rowan Atkins?) doing a commercial for Fuji. My wife worked in Japan for half a year in 2000, so I might ask her as well (later).
I am back.

Frankly my dear, I don't give damn...
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

i noticed this too some time ago (except it was european TV) and was told that there is a stigma in America that 'Has-Been' stars tend to do commercials, and to be seen doing them does little for credability, yet its safe to do ads in europe/asia where their not likely to be seen by producers/casting directors etc. I dunno if the person was bull-shitting me but it seems plausable!
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Yeah, I've seen Brad Pitt in ads for some Japanese beverage that's only available in Japan. I doubt that he actually knows what it IS let alone what it tastes like. Ah, advertising! :D I've seen Cindy Crawford in European ads looking very vampish and slutty, a stark contrast to her "Little Miss Nice" American image. Hey, if I could make big bucks by selling my own photo, I'd probably do it, too!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Cowfingers is right, but Ringo has done commercials here. He's a has been isn't he?[/b][/quote]Ringo did a "Charles Schwab" commercial a while back. I suppose you could call Ringo a has-been in the strictest sense of the term. But, in my opinion, any of the Beatles were exempt from that term, as they're kinda historical. I think in 200 years, when students study history of the 20th century, The Beatles will be four of the faces textbooks have pictures of, along with Kennedy, King, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Hitler (gotta have villains as well)...a dozen or so more.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Katherine Zita Jones/Douglas???? Is doing that cell phone ad right now. What in the hell was she thinking? I thought her career was going well. Ya just never know do ya'? Welcome to the Forum Nraki :wave:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Dude.... If I were a star, I'd be doing commercials left and right. Gimme the money, and I will do commercials for tampons, burgers or elephant shit facials. Just pay me. Unfortunately, I'm a nobody -- not even a has-been. I'm a never-was. Boo-frickin-hoo.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Dude.... If I were a star, I'd be doing commercials left and right. Gimme the money, and I will do commercials for tampons, burgers or elephant shit facials. Just pay me. Unfortunately, I'm a nobody -- not even a has-been. I'm a never-was. Boo-frickin-hoo.[/b][/quote]hahaha You would! But, you would lose your fans. Oh wait, you're a nobody anyway. :D But, seriously, I find this really sneaky. If they want MORE money, why don't they just do that in their country!! :mad: Well.... I guess I'm too pure....?

My man... I'd do these commercials in any country that wanted to pay me. My fans would totally respect that action because they'd know I was getting paid!

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

One of the reasons that stars agree to do commercials in foreign markets is that most Americans don't know about those markets, so there's no stigma attached to the act. That said, I don't agree that you have to be a "has been" to do commercials. I don't agree that it will cost you the respect of fans, particularly if you believe in the product that you're selling. If doing a commercial for a soft drink or a deodorant is BAD, how can endorsing guitars or keyboards or recording gear be GOOD? Do you lose respect for a musician when they get an endorsement deal? And what about SPORTS? In sports, a "has been" can't get a marketing deal, only the brightest stars are eligible for those dollars. Give it a rest. Western civilization is based on capitalism, which says that when you make some money, you are free to use it to make some MORE money. If Marcus Miller can endorse Sadowsky, and if Tiger Woods can sell Buicks, Ringo can pitch for Charles Schwab if he wants to. Good for them! Good for ALL of them! They've worked hard for their success, and now they're earning dividends on it.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Here's a little article about Hollywood celebs in Japan: http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/06/29/japancelebs/index1.html Arnold and Ford were the most popular when I lived in Japan in the mid-90s. Funny as hell, seeing Ford wearing a male-kimono, toss back a can of creamed corn soup, and say how refreshing it is in Japanese. I once saw a Japanese gameshow with Superchunk (I think) playing along- they needed to remember and repeat silly phrases in Japanese so their Japanese partner could win.

There are many many of those here and yes they pay very well. Tiger woods sells several products here. Jean Reno, Anthony Hopkins do car commercials. I`ve seen the Brad Pitt and Ah-nold spots. This place is brand crazy, anything that comes with a reputation that preceeds it gets top dollar, be it products, personalities or whatever.

Archived