Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thank God, I didn't buy a....

lightnin digits

...Vox Continental Twin or a Prophet 10.

I worked a whole summer for my family's business as a kid to buy a Vox Continental Twin

in the '60's...fortunately-I talked myself into a

Leslie Tone Cabinet for my Farfisa and saved over 1K in '60's $$$.

In the 80's-with a steady income and a good band-I wanted a Prophet 10. Thankfully-I waited for cheaper alternatives and saved major bucks.

What are your stories?$?

Soylent Green is People!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the early eighties I really considered taking a loan for $30K for a Fairlight Series II. Good thing I came to my senses and reconsidered!

It wasn't like I was a future signed rock star with a big advance or major release film composer, either. It probably would have sat in my home studio depreciating rapidly while I kept paying on it for 10-15 years.

I knew a guy that worked in a local music store that did something much more stupid. He took a loan(mortgage?)out for $150K and bought a large Sony console for $100K and an Otari 24 track and other equipment with the rest of the money. The problem was that he set all this stuff up in the basement of his father's house in a blue-collar suburban area of Connecticut. Needless to say, he couldn't get any clients to pay for studio time out there and the acoustics of a 7 foot high basement ceiling were much less than ideal. Last I heard, he was trying to sell the Sony for less than $10K without any takers. He's still paying on the stuff years later.

Right after it first came out in 1987 I lusted after a Roland D50, but never seemed to have the cash for it. Then I was gonna go buy a used one finally in the early 90's when I stumbled across something that had just arrived at the stores called the JV880.

The rest is history. Totally forgot about the D50. I probably saved myself at least 1000 bucks and ended up with a flagship synth (at the time anyway) that was a lot better and a lot cheaper. It was worth the wait - still use my 880's a lot even now.

Although if I come across a 550 for fairly cheap I might grab it anyway :)

"Don't say I didn't warn ya.."

www.mp3.com/adamkittle

I was about to buy a Yamaha EX5 when it first came out. I played it briefly in a store and it sounded good, and the features looked promising.

Then I started reading of complains from early users, about the slow SCSI, slow MIDI, various bugs and limitations, so I thought I didn't *need* it badly enough after all.

I bought an used Yamaha VL-1m instead, and I've never regretted that. I still love and use it.

Originally posted by marino:

I was about to buy a Yamaha EX5 when it first came out. I played it briefly in a store and it sounded good, and the features looked promising.

Then I started reading of complains from early users, about the slow SCSI, slow MIDI, various bugs and limitations, so I thought I didn't *need* it badly enough after all.

I bought an used Yamaha VL-1m instead, and I've never regretted that. I still love and use it.

Same her, except I bought the FS1R, which I use all the time.

In 1983 I was ready to purchase my first synth. I didn't know anything and the local store had a new DX-7 and a Prophet-600 set up, each $2,000. I bought the DX-7 as it had a better sounding piano (!) than the Prophet. I think I made the right choice, as the DX could sound "Just like the radio" for the remainder of the 80's, and with the E! board I continued to use it as a master controller until just a couple of years ago.

Unlike a couple of you guys I bought the EX-5 before I read anything about it from users, and am still struggling with it. Would like to replace it with a used Kurz K-2000 w/hard drive but I just don't make enough playing music anymore to justify the expenditure. :(

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

An Ensoniq 88-key thing...I think a TS something or a TK, or a KT or a...hell I don't know....summer of '95, you guys figure it out. Man oh man were they trying to push that thing on me. It had some cool sounds, but was pretty much centered around the sequencer...I just couldn't seem to convince those salesmen that I didn't need a sequencer, just a great piano sound which incidentally this board lacked.

I bought a PC88 - at the same store. Boy am I glad. I can still remember the guy saying, "Yeah, those (PC88s) have gotten great reviews and everything...but what you want is this Ensoniq..."

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Yamaha DX21 - got pretty close to getting one - ended up getting a korg ds-8. Easier to program, touch sensitive, and had effects (rare at the time).

Emu Proteus 2000 - Nice, but wouldn't have added ANYTHING to my current setup. Would have been a nice waste of money.

Turbo Option board for my ESI - I hardly use it - I doubt the turbo board would have changed that.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Yamaha DX7 - lusted after it at the height of its popularity. I don't think that I would have had the patience to really get the most out of it. At the time, I got a DX100, which was within my budget (and the first time I ever got credit). I had a lot of fun with it, and you could even hook a guitar strap on it and wear it (how cool was that back in the 80's!).

Oberheim Matrix 1000 - Thought about it, didn't do it, no regrets.

Roland MC303 - loved it upon its release, but far too many limitations and wacky MIDI implementation. Glad I didn't do it.

Others -

Pontiac Fiero (oh, but they were so cool!

Betamax VCR

eToys, Enron, Worldcom stock

When the DX7 came out it was certainly the keyboard you had to have to play the music of the day. But I A/B'd it with the Roland JX-8P and loved the fat warmth of the Roland. Strings, brass, pads, etc., blew the Yamaha away. I bought the Roland. Of course, I caught hell on the bandstand because the pianos sucked. But now, about 17 years later, I still use the Roland on sessions. Those luscious pads sit beautifully in a mix.

K.

Hi,

A Yamaha DX-7. When the DX-7's were brand new and all the rave, I was in the market for a new synth. There was a Roland Jupiter-8 in the store right beside a DX-7. The salesperson was basically telling me that I was crazy for not preferring the DX-7 over the JP-8. I got the JP-8 at a large discount too. They were $6,500 Cdn originally, and the store was clearing it out at $3,600 Cdn.

Now, for another thread: "I'm stupid - why did I ever sell my ...."

JP-8 :(:cry:

To this day, I miss it's lush strings and brass. Too bad they go for outrageous prices these days.

fv

I just couldn't seem to convince those salesmen that I didn't need a sequencer, just a great piano sound which incidentally this board lacked.
Actually I thought the Ensoniq pianos were pretty good on the TS series...there were a lot of them...maybe you didn't get to hear the best ones. Regardless...I'm not sure a PC88 sounds much better.

I almost bought a CX3 about a year and a half ago but the overall sound AND the crappy Leslie simulation changed my mind. I even posted here about it at the time...I spent about 2 hours in guitar center with a good amount of cash and plenty of credit...I couldn't find a board that I liked the sound of...if it had one good sound almost all the other sounds sucked. If they'd had an Andromeda there I would have bought it, now I don't have the money. :rolleyes:

I did make the mistake of buying a Korg DSS-1. I think I payed close to $3K Can. What a piece of crap that thing was. No on board sounds, and the time it took to load the sounds from diskette pretty much invalidated it for live use. A few months after I bought it, they came out with the M1, which I lusted after for many years. Finally sold the DSS for $400 years later. I did want the DX too, but now I'm glad I didn't go for it. The Fairlight was a dream too, probably why I settled on the DSS. I was very into Gabriel at the time, and the idea of sampling was very cool. Now I just use rom based keys, and soft synths. No regrets. I also just picked up a Roland XV-5050, which is pretty nice.

Dan

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I almost bought a decent piano instead of holding out for the gem I love so much, a 1928 Schmoller & Muller by Starr but god damn it sounds incredible.

Then more recently I almost bought some kind of $2000 yamaha until I came to my senses and took home the Kawai MP9000, a much much better instrument.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

...a Korg Poly-61. Ugly, absolutely zero realtime control, and thin sounding.

...Ensoniq VFX or TS series keyboard. The sequencer demo on the VFX-SD blew me away at one point, and I felt I really needed one.

...Kurzweil MIDIboard for a master controller. Anyone remember these? They felt and looked great, and had tons of control, but were notoriously buggy.

...any studio monitor in the $2K - 3K price range, other than the ADAM S2-A's on which I settled.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived