Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moderator needed at guitar forum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going with the Tedster idea - everytime s/he starts a idiotic thread, I just jump in and start talking about something totally unrelated, but ON topic to the forum - like guitars, or amps or strings... and COMPLETELY ignore the moron. Even when s/he made fun of our studio name, I ignored it and just kept talking about amps. If everyone did this, s/he would probably get bored, since we all know trolls just want attention - any attention. It's rather sad really - and quite pathetic. Dryden and I are just hanging out tonight and he got a kick out of the guy's ( :confused: ) posts...

Myles is fine, but he generally only checks responses to threads he starts. He's mentioned this on several occasions, due to his scheduling constraints. I guess this "guy" has trashed other boards...leaving a wake of debris wherever he goes. His very first post was inflammatory, calling someone who agreed with him a moron. It's been downhill ever since. This guy is like a virus. Bent on stealing forums away from everyone. It's OUR forum. I say let's take it back...but first, We should have a contingency plan, as most trolls post a couple and then go their way. This bozo seems to be hell bent on sticking around.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Ok, so I too think Myles is great. Don't know him very well, but he does seem to have other things to do other than sit here and post all day like the rest of us. I do believe I know the troll of which you speak, though I shalt not speak it's name, so that his presence does not emerge again. As long as it doesn't make its way over to the LDLD, unless it already has. Shall we commit this most awful of sins, and ban it from the forum, or shall we do the logical thing and take it out back for a little "dancin'".

No problem Craig... we all just ignored her / him, or hijacked his / her threads with on topic discussions (while simultaneously ignoring him / her) or just outposted him / her with appropriate new topics to bump her / his crud off the first page. Problem solved - I'm sure Myles will address the rest of it on Monday.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal - friend of Thanksgiving: [b]The problem is that a troll will push the good posts onto pages 2, 3, 4 etc. For example, the Ask Myles thread has to be rescued every two hours because it gets dropped. My own theory is not to even dignify it with any response, but use technology to block out his IP.[/b][/quote]The "ask Myles" thread is a "continuing column" sort of thing that is full of all sorts of Q&A. I think it returns as needed without being "rescued". Myles, as mentioned, is a very helpful cat & probably (like Craig A.) has lots to do besides referee a playground argy-bargy (though he's already stepped to some degree). What would you think if someone had gone to another forum during recent bouts of lunacy here & demanded a moderator for this forum? Myles deserves respect, too! Just because he thinks we should be able to self-police & act like adults is no reason to call for the National Guard! Remember, we want freedom to post as we like, OT, etc., but we want to avoid nutcases---therefore the best advice is to treat loonies as you would on the street: avoid eye contact; don't let them see you but know where they are; & if they talk goofy, don't reply or they may follow you! PS, "highjacking" the threads only keeps them afloat---let 'em sink!

It's a real problem, and it needs to be dealt with. The gentleman in question has monopolized the board to the point that legitimate interaction has become quite difficult. A similar troll took over the Keyboard forum at one point, and Dave just deleted every new post. Eventually, he got bored and went away. This new guy has the run of the Guitar forum; if he's not discouraged, he'll keep up the nonsense, because he's having a ball. It's sad that problems like this come up from time to time, but it's a fact of the online world, and if it's not dealt with, it will persist and spoil the site for everyone.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

people pissed him off and he probably wont leave for a while. I suggest no one post on his threads and no one reply to his posts no one post about him either. He knows we're trying to get rid off him and he is mad about it. People got personal making fun of what he wears, his sexual preference, etc. He is going to keep trying to piss us off too now.

Not completely true, Wewus... He came in and made a post, weirdly hinting at the fact that he was getting screwed by some label. Someone else came on and agreed with him. Brahoohoohoo came back and called the guy who agreed with him a moron. Hence the tone was set. This guy came in looking for a fight. It wasn't until after that was established that people began attacking his preferences. Hey, we've all been in this deal for awhile. I mean, we've seen the whole gay/crossdressing rocker thing from Bowie to the New York Dolls etc. I could care less if the guy wears a dress, or if he prefers males. But, when he comes on bad mouthing everyone, that pisses me off. Personally, I believe he's just trying to stir up controversy. Get enough people pissed off and people will know who you are. Go from board to board and get everyone to hate your guts. Then you'll be famous, or infamous, or whatever. He just wants attention.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]Funny, he was entertaining at first, then I actually felt a little sorry for the guy, cause it seems he's messed up. Posted something very sincere and he basically blew me off. Oh well.[/b][/quote]I noticed that post of your Sylver, I formed my opinion of the guy at that very point and decided to leave him be to his whimsical and fanatical rambling. I've been bouncing over there occassionally and bumping the technical threads posted by Miles, along with others that seem to be of serious inquiry or shop talk. I have a high speed connection and it looks like they could use a little help over that way burying this idiot to the bottom; he's persistant. I've been steering clear of making ANY posts acknowledging his existence and I've just been writing BUMP!!! or sticking a smiley face on the post and hitting enter. For all the people that keep bringing up NEW threads ABOUT the troll, they are being just about as obnoxious as the Troll himself. Feed it, and it will continue to thrive. Shove it into darkness and refuse to feed it; it WILL go away. We need a team effort! I am also, NOT feeding the troll monger threads that keep feeding the troll; hopefully they will get lost along with the troll.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]Funny, he was entertaining at first, then I actually felt a little sorry for the guy, cause it seems he's messed up. Posted something very sincere and he basically blew me off. Oh well.[/b][/quote]I noticed that post of your Sylver, I formed my opinion of the guy at that very point and decided to leave him be to his whimsical and fanatical rambling. I've been bouncing over there occassionally and bumping the technical threads posted by Miles, along with others that seem to be of serious inquiry or shop talk. I have a high speed connection and it looks like they could use a little help over that way burying this idiot to the bottom; he's persistant. I've been steering clear of making ANY posts acknowledging his existence and I've just been writing BUMP!!! or sticking a smiley face on the post and hitting enter. For all the people that keep bringing up NEW threads ABOUT the troll, they are being just about as obnoxious as the Troll himself. Feed it, and it will continue to thrive. Shove it into darkness and refuse to feed it; it WILL go away. We need a team effort! I am also, NOT feeding the troll monger threads that keep feeding the troll; hopefully they will get lost along with the troll.[/b][/quote]Yep, I am pointedly avoiding Bralalalala threads.
I really don't know what to put here.

....and all this time I thought the appropriate response to those types of threads was "Yeah huh".....or the ever popular "no Huh"....worked when my daughter was five! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I am beginning to draw the conclusion that those that keep responding to the Trolls' posts have NOTHING intelligent to say themselves; thus, they are keeping the spirit alive. Last night I buried the majority of Troll topic away from the main page and today several are back. Many of them brought back by the troll mongers and not actually TROLL himself. Perhaps some of the more established and respected regulars or maybe even a forum moderator should drop a few PM'S to those who keep antagonizing the Troll, asking them not to reply to or start any new topics regarding his presence. As long as ANYONE makes mention of getting rid of him, he's here to stay! :evil:

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

[quote]Originally posted by d: [b]Myles, as mentioned, is a very helpful cat & probably (like Craig A.) has lots to do besides referee a playground argy-bargy (though he's already stepped to some degree). What would you think if someone had gone to another forum during recent bouts of lunacy here & demanded a moderator for this forum? Myles deserves respect, too! Just because he thinks we should be able to self-police & act like adults is no reason to call for the National Guard! Remember, we want freedom to post as we like, OT, etc., but we want to avoid nutcases---therefore the best advice is to treat loonies as you would on the street: avoid eye contact; don't let them see you but know where they are; & if they talk goofy, don't reply or they may follow you! PS, "highjacking" the threads only keeps them afloat---let 'em sink![/b][/quote]BRAVO!!

Archived