Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

easy songs to play at an open jam..

last night i was invited around to play with a couple of people in a kind of jam, but when i arrived i found that nobody had music tastes in common and that they for the most part were beginners. i was asked around again, but i think if i do again we would really need a couple of printouts of chords so people can at least bullshit their way through a couple of the songs. here lies the problem - can anyone think of a couple of catch-all songs that are easy for everyone to play and most people know and like? thanks fergal
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is why blues jams are so popular here in KC...anyone can sit in on a 12 bar in whatever key, and people can show off their various degrees of solo prowess, be it a slow blues, Chicago style shuffle, or what have you...and even the rock players can get their jollies off. I'd recommend some blues tunes..."Sweet Home Chicago" type stuff (you thought I was gonna say "Alabama", didn't you? NEVER).
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster the Pilgrim: [b] I'd recommend some blues tunes..."Sweet Home Chicago" type stuff (you thought I was gonna say "Alabama", didn't you? NEVER).[/b][/quote]yeah in desperation last night i almost suggested playing that alabama song but i couldnt bring myself to it.. :freak: Though I almost think 12 bar is a little abstract for this situation! :rolleyes:

[quote]Originally posted by Christopher Kemp: [b]"Hey Joe" is good for that. C-G-D-A-E repeat ad nauseum. :D [/b][/quote]Brings back memories of my old "Let's see how many joints we can smoke and how long we can jam out "Hey Joe" days..." Hey, you're Irish, Cow...dig up some old Rory Gallagher records. Now there's a guy who could kick some serious ass with a Strat, playing the blues.

There's a blues song that's fairly easy that Eric Clapton does, Before You Accuse Me, most anybody can pick that up quickly. Before you accuse me take a look at youself, You say I been giving spankings to other women but you've been takin' spankings from someone else.( try this, substitute money for spankings) Of course if you play acoustic guitar you've got to cover Bob Dylan. A good choice here is Tangled Up In Blue. Simple chord progression, 5 major chords and one minor chord. Great words, there's 8 or 9 verses. This song can go on a long time with jamming between verses. You might need a cheat sheet for the lyrics unless you have a photoghraphic memory. Santana's first hit was Evil Ways. 3 or 4 chords a lot of people know that song.

Yeah, Clapton's got a ton of basic chord progression blues tunes. That most recent blues album he did, one or two before that CD with B.B. King..."I'm Tore Down" is a great kicking shuffle. Problem with Dylan songs is that you've got to learn his lyrics. Not my personal strong point. Eight verses, all completely different. Three verses is barely all I can handle.

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster the Pilgrim: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Christopher Kemp: [b]"Hey Joe" is good for that. C-G-D-A-E repeat ad nauseum. :D [/b][/quote]Brings back memories of my old "Let's see how many joints we can smoke and how long we can jam out "Hey Joe" days..." Hey, you're Irish, Cow...dig up some old Rory Gallagher records. Now there's a guy who could kick some serious ass with a Strat, playing the blues.[/b][/quote]well hey joe was indeed attempted (and all i can say was attempted!) but Rory Gallagher!?!?!? :freak: i think we'd need to practise a little more together first, even to talk about him :)

"Low" by Cracker - D C Em G throughout the whole song "Good" by Better Than Ezra - G D Em C throughout the whole song except for the guitar solo which transposes to A (A E F#m D) then back to G afterwards "Zombie" by the Cranberries - Em C G D except for the break: Em C "What I Got" by Sublime - D G

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Most any John Mellancamp will do. Lots of 3 chord songs. CCR was mentioned. Definitely a good place to start. Tom Petty, Travelling Wilburys, lots of Beatles tunes. Bring a couple easy chord books and find stuff you all are willing to try. Many of the newer books have more accurate chord voicings than 10 or 20 years ago.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]Hey Ted...you ever run into John Hobbs or Scooter Powell..? Scooter moved, but used to be with Bon Ton...Hobbs is still a hard working blues dog...[/b][/quote]Hmmm...perhaps...not sure. I've met some guys at blues jams, but don't know their names. John Hobbs...there's a guy named John who plays with the Automatics. That's not the guy, is it? Cereal... Nahh...too many vocals on "Rhapsody". How bout "Birds of Fire"?

Usually someone will know a song, blues or whatever. Try to write down a list of tunes you think everybody will know, then learn the basic chords and structure. Beatles Stones Just call them out. Above all else, don't get to serious. It's a jam, so have fun. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Yeah, simple blues riffs in any key can work for players at just about any level. As for Bob Dylan? "Highway 51 Revisited". Canned Heat's "On The Road Again." Savoy Brown's "She's Got A Ring In His Nose And A Ring On Her Hand." Grand Funk's "Time Machine" Chuck Berry's "Wee Wee Hours." Muddy Water's "Mannish Boy." The possibilities are endless! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived