Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who plays if you can't?

For those of you who have their own recording setup, what do you do about any instruments you don't play. I know there are some multi-instrumentalists here who can groove on drums just as easily as bass, guitar, sax, keys or whatever... but I bet it's the minority. I also assume many are part of bands and have all the instruments they want covered... But I know some are do-it-yourselfer's... So... If you're recording your stuff, do you use MIDI? If so, do you program it all yourself? Do you use loops or ACID type tracks? Do you have a group of "friends" that help you? Do you "hire" pro players for your project? guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don`t have a lot of recording stuff. If I`m going to do something for a commercial release, I`d rather hire as many pros as I can afford. For demos and other such stuff I`m not averse to depending on technology or simplifying things and doing it myself. I can get around a bit on keyboards and percussion-pretty lost on a drum kit. Haven`t done much bass, maybe if I had one for a while I could manage.

I use midi for writing all my songs and usually have our guitar player come over an lay down guitar parts. I can do "good enough" drum, bass and keyboard parts and I do the sax leads too, but for some reason I have never been able to get a decent guitar sound via midi.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com: [b]I use midi for writing all my songs and usually have our guitar player come over an lay down guitar parts. I can do "good enough" drum, bass and keyboard parts and I do the sax leads too, but for some reason I have never been able to get a decent guitar sound via midi.[/b][/quote]Have you tried running the output of the synth or sampler through an actual guitar FX pedal, or even into a guitar amp and miking it? Try getting a good clean guitar sound and then using real guitar distortion on it. It should make a difference, or at least something interesting.

[quote]If you're recording your stuff, do you use MIDI? If so, do you program it all yourself? [/quote]If it's a band kind of tune I always sequence it first. Even if I am gonna use other musiciana later I like to have a rock solid arrangment first. [quote]Do you use loops or ACID type tracks? [/quote]Sometimes. [quote]Do you have a group of "friends" that help you? [/quote]Rarely, if ever. [quote]Do you "hire" pro players for your project? [/quote]When budget permits, which it usually doesnt.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived