Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Favorite Analog Synth...

Squids

Okay, this has been done a million times but it's always fun. What are your top 3 (limit it to 3 if you can) analog synths. Not virtual analog, the real deal.

Mine are:

Minimoog

Arp 2600

EMS VCS3

My reasoning? Well, although I like other polyphonic analogs a lot too, these three were used on some seriously classic records and each had a unique sound. Great for leads, basses and effects. They look cool too. Pop quiz: Which one is similar to the game Battleship?

Okay. What are yours?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Squids:

[QB]Pop quiz: Which one is similar to the game Battleship?

[QB]

I assume you are reffering to the pins. The VCS3 has a matrix pin board with which you can patch. :)

BTW, if you haven't run across it, you might enjoy seeing the currently available, VCS3 inspired Vostok Matrix Modular by Analogue Solutions.

Favorites:

Minimoog

Andromeda

Jupiter 8

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

[QB]Pop quiz: Which one is similar to the game Battleship?

[QB]

I assume you are reffering to the pins. The VCS3 has a matrix pin board with which you can patch. :)

BTW, if you haven't run across it, you might enjoy seeing the currently available, VCS3 inspired Vostok Matrix Modular by Analogue Solutions.

Favorites:

Minimoog

Andromeda

Jupiter 8

Jerry

The Vostok sounds mighty good- our very own Mike Peake, who really knows his analog shit, is representing Analogue Solutions. They're on my short list (which keeps getting longer :( ) The sensible solution here is Doepfer, but IMO it just doesn't sound as good as Analogue Solutions.

My favorite analog is whatever they used on the Serbian TV show "Odpisani", but I still haven't found out what that was. That and TONTO of course. :D

Rhodes Chroma - A work horse that never failed me on the road and taught me to slow down and play the note.

MiniMoog - My first synth. You always have fond memories of your first.

MemoryMoog - A distant third. Great sound, lousy stability. There were times on the road that I just had to turn it off and play the Chroma.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Prophet-10 (I STILL kick myself for selling it!)

Arp Quadra

Arp 2600

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Well, I only have one analog that works: the 3ms Triwave Picogenerator. It's pretty cool for what it is: 2 oscillators effected, in variable amounts, by 3 lfos with variable frequency. That's IT. No keyboard, thus no pitch control. No filter. No thing. A small blue box with about a dozen unmarked knobs. My 5 year old son loves it. We call it the crazy box.

(For a taste of it, go to This Site

And listen to Burroughs Sings Charles in Charge.

I also have a Korg Delta, a cheap Korg analog that's half a very basic subtractive synth and half a very cheesy string machine. Kind of cool, come to think of it, but presently it doesn't work for about 13 different serious reasons, the funniest and most crippling of which is that *none* of the D keys work (well, they do trigger the noise generator, but not the oscilator, so substitute a wisp of noise for every appearance of any "D" in your music and I guess it's okay.)

I yearn for a real analog.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Tough call, because each offers so much individual personality. I'd have to say:

Monophonic:

1. ARP 2600

2. MiniMoog

Polyphonic:

1. Yamaha CS-80

2. MemoryMoog

3. Matrix 12

4. Gleeman Pentaphonic

5. Oberheim 8 Voice SEM

6. Alesis Andromeda A6

7. Prophet 5 rev 2

8. Prophet 10

9. Rhodes Chroma

10. Roland JP-8

Overall Favorite = Yamaha CS-80. It has such a unique sound, is incredibly programmable, is a heavy SOB to move and is quite temperamental, but that's what makes it so lovable! :)

I've never played a Mini-Moog, so outside of listening to records with this synth on it, I can't comment.

I've owned three analog synths, and played a few others.

Electro Harmonix Mini Synth -

Someone lent me this keyboard for the longest time. He just said, it's yours till I ask for it back. After about a year, he told me he had a buyer for it. I loved this thing and if I ever see another, I'll snap it up. There is a picture of it on page 18 of the October 2001 issue of Keyboard. It had flat membrane keys on it that allowed for the most painless smears and finger glissandos you could imagine. The sounds were completely unique. I've still never heard anything like it. Score B-

Univox Mini-Korg K-1 -

I bought this keyboard after my friend took back the Electro Harmonix. I love this little synth and it is still my favorite to this day. I was able through trial and error to recreate all of Keith's synth lead sounds with it and until I knew better, had believed that this little board was what Emo was using. This little beauty has been with me for so long that finding programs for me is second nature on it. I just set all the sliders knobs and switches and off I go. I even use the pitch correction controller (designed to be used for tuning) as a pitch bender. Even though it's a little awkward. I consider this my signature keyboard and would never part with it. Score A+

Moog Rogue -

My third synth was purchased as a package deal when I bought my Rhodes. It was thrown in on insistance! The seller MADE me take it. It was the Moog Rogue. I found that it was a terrific synth for bass and was just the thing to get all the Herbie Hancock sounds from the Headhunters album that my Mini Korg couldn't make. Still, this keyboard left me feeling a bit cold and I recently sold it for a few hundred dollars to finance my Yamaha AN200. Not bad for a foisted freebie :thu: . For the record, I don't regret my decision in the least. The Moog Rogue was a bit unweildly and I never did get the rapport going that would allow me to program on the fly with the certainty that I get from my K-1. Score C

Roland Juno 106 and 60 -

I worked in a studio that had both of these boards in it and got to fool around with them just about every day. At the time I could never hope to own either, but it sold me on the name Roland. Eventually, it was their influence that drew me to my JX-8P. Interestingly enough, recently there was a used (of course) 106 for sale at my local Guitar Center. I fiddled with it a bit, but passed even though it was selling for the unbelievable price of $100. Equally unbelievable, it sat there for months. Score B+

Arp Odyssey -

I was friends with a keyboard player that used this board the way I use my K-1. I got to fiddle with it on occasions, but I never played with it long enough to get comfortable. It produced some interesting sounds for sure, but nothing that I thought I would use. I know that this keyboard is considered a staple and many tout it as one of the best. I found the interface to be too fiddly. Maybe if I could have spent more time with it. However, I give it a D+

I cannot say that I have had enough reasonable amount of time spent with any other analog synths to qualify a review. Unless digitally controlled analog counts and then I'd have too much to type and never get done with this post.

Carl

Originally posted by Robert Smedberg:

I would like to divide it to mono and poly.

The undisputed winner in mono group is Minimoog and my pick for poly would be A6.

I had them first! This is supposed to be my pick. ;)

Me too... Minimoog & Andromeda

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

It's amazing how popular the minimoog is in people's lists.

What do you all think of the new ones (Voyager?)? Is it even out? What's the verdict? Also, what do you think of the Studio Electronics thing? No one has mentioned that.

One of my favorites that I should have mentioned is the Oberheim SEM. I have one that was modified with a Prophet SSM filter in it and you can mix between the two filters! It's pretty cool. Although I am not sure if it's as cool as my friend's two voice that has all the patch points brought out.

Interesting that my favorites were all pure voltage. Of course, I like every synth you all mentioned... prophet 5, Jupiter 8, CS80...yeah!

Ironically, I am not over the moon about the Andromeda. My partner Adam has one and it looks amazing. It has great features. But, I don't know if I like the way it sounds or not... or at least not enough to get one. I guess I am a minority on this. It just doesn't sound as sweet to me as the older stuff. It sounds like the curtis chips to me. (maybe it has- I don't know).

I always thought that the Matrix 12/Xpander had amazing features but it never sounded as good to me as the SEMS and the OBX...but those were chips verses discrete so go figure!

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Bobro:

our very own Mike Peake, who really knows his analog shit, is representing Analogue Solutions.

(Johnny Carson voice): "I did not know that..." (tapping pencil)

dB

...or am I high? Wouldn't be the first time. :D Anyway Mike Peake does know his analog shit, you did know that am I'm not tripping in that respect.

Ironically, I am not over the moon about the Andromeda.

You sir on the other hand are definitely smoking something. :D That thing's got got "musical instrument" written all over it in a bunch of languages like the goddamn Rosetta Stone. The sound...give it time. It's got its own thing going, it'll take some time to find its place. What's "wrong" with it is that it's an old-fashioned musical instrument born in an age of instant gratification. Wait some.

My Taurus Pedals. Hey Bobro are you from Vienna orginally? My moms parents and family are from there, they came here in the 1920s. I want to spend some time there in the future, maybe live and work there for a month or so and lookup some family. Is it a safe place for an American to hang out for a while. I lived in NYC for 33 years so I can handle myself in bad situations but Im a little nervous about touring a foreign country alone. I have hundreds of pictures from there, it lookslike a beautiful place. Paul.

Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:

My Taurus Pedals. Hey Bobro are you from Vienna orginally? My moms parents and family are from there, they came here in the 1920s. I want to spend some time there in the future, maybe live and work there for a month or so and lookup some family. Is it a safe place for an American to hang out for a while. I lived in NYC for 33 years so I can handle myself in bad situations but Im a little nervous about touring a foreign country alone. I have hundreds of pictures from there, it looks like a beautiful place. Paul.

Hi Paul- I'm from SoCal originally, came here in 95, moved to Slovenia in 96 (south of the border) and have been here in Vienna for the last two years. I'm much more at home in Slovenia, it's a lot like hanging at my grandma's when I was a kid in a way, but Vienna is great! Very safe city, it would be a freak occurance if you had any troubles. Living in central LA before I came here, I can't tell you how great it feels to know that my wife is walking home safe at midnight.

You should definitely visit, stop by when you're here. Good idea not to do the tourist thing, just hunker down and hang for a while.

Since I buy gear from Germany and the long-range plans are a full-on studio in Slovenia, and I do the music business stuff over the internet, I'm out of touch with what's up as far as music and synths here. Just haven't caught a vibe anywhere in town, and I do get around at all hours a great deal.

First synth I ever played on stage, back in the 80s, was an Odyssey, whoo-hoo! Didn't know then how cool it was then but it sounded right. Obi "Blue Monday" drum machine, too, can't argue with that. Off to scout ebay again... :cry:

Bobro,

You are talking to a guy who would try to bring an Oberheim 8 voice to a session. I am not put off by the lack of instant gratification. Saving patches to me is instant gratification.

But, on the Andromeda, if it's safe enough to say... I'm not knocked out by it. It's not that I'm not impressed. I am. Nice features. Looks spectacular. Plenty o Knobs and definitely some cool unique things you can do with it. 16 voices of analog- great! But, somehow the sound of it just doesn't put me over the edge like the older analogs often did...like the Oberheim 8 voice. I know you can't compare. I am not even saying I expected it to be. But, all I know is this. I have owned almost every synth mentioned in this thread at one time or another, but I never wanted to get an Andromeda bad enough. Maybe I am just through with spending thousands of dollars on keyboards perhaps. But, I don't expect everyone (or even anyone) to agree with me on this one. It's a cool synth to like for a lot of reasons. Perhaps you are right I suppose about giving it more time. But first impressions count a lot too. My partner Adam swears by his. Every time I sit down at it I create some really cool things but... oh never mind. I can't describe what it is. I think it's the filters or ...something slightly makes it sounds a little hard and cold to me... not as "liquid" and warm as the old moogs, rolands, arps etc listed in this thread.

Has anyone heard the difference between a black face and a white face Arp Odyssey? Or, I guess even better would be the difference between an OB8 and an OBX.

Well...squids! Never mind. It's all good. I wouldn't kick an Andromeda out of bed. :)

Hey! It's a free country. At least so far. Although I hear there may be an edict from Homeland Security soon, declaring all analogue synth critics Enemy Combatants. So.... watch out! Will be difficult to have VA vs. analogue or vintage analogue vs. new analogue arguments with your average US Army interrogator, I suspect. I could be very mistaken there, I just don't know.

rt

Originally posted by Rabid:

...But, on the Andromeda, if it's safe enough to say... I'm not knocked out by it. It's not that I'm not impressed...

And I thought I was living dangerously by posting that I do not like the sound of the PPG2

Robert

What do you mean you don't like the sound of the PPG! *(*#$*@$&*!!!! I am such a hyprocrite.

Just for the record, it's not that I entirely don't like the sound...man, I wish I could sit in a room with you all and point out the thing I am talking about. On the other hand... I was just watching this Roger Waters DVD with the keyboardist from the "other" Floyd do some wicked solos on his K2500. I felt the same way about that synth too...of course it's digital. But, the trade off is that both the Andromeda and the VAST K2500 can make some wicked sounding textures so... forget what I said. I'll take an Andromeda- for the right price that is. I am not one to complain much about any synth that has analog filters. But, since this thread is about your "FAVORITES" I'd say that I'd have to put these in front of it:

Minimoog

Modular Moog

Arp 2600

Arp 2500

Arp ProSoloist

EMS Synthi AKS

Emu Modular

Steiner Parker Modular & Synthacon

Serge Modular

Jupiter 8

CS80

Gleeman Pentaphonic

Voyetra 8

Prophet 5 rev 2

Prophet T8 & 10

Prophet VS (ok, part analog)

PPG Wave 2.0, 2.2 (take that! Rabid! ;) )

Oberheim SEM & 4 Voice

But, now I broke my own rule of just naming three. Oh well. If it makes the diehards feel any better I will give Andromeda another chance. :)

Bobro,

You are talking to a guy who would try to bring an Oberheim 8 voice to a session. I am not put off by the lack of instant gratification. Saving patches to me is instant gratification.

But, on the Andromeda, if it's safe enough to say... I'm not knocked out by it. It's not that I'm not impressed. I am. Nice features. Looks spectacular. Plenty o Knobs and definitely some cool unique things you can do with it. 16 voices of analog- great! But, somehow the sound of it just doesn't put me over the edge like the older analogs often did...like the Oberheim 8 voice. I know you can't compare. I am not even saying I expected it to be. But, all I know is this. I have owned almost every synth mentioned in this thread at one time or another, but I never wanted to get an Andromeda bad enough. Maybe I am just through with spending thousands of dollars on keyboards perhaps. But, I don't expect everyone (or even anyone) to agree with me on this one. It's a cool synth to like for a lot of reasons. Perhaps you are right I suppose about giving it more time. But first impressions count a lot too. My partner Adam swears by his. Every time I sit down at it I create some really cool things but... oh never mind. I can't describe what it is. I think it's the filters or ...something slightly makes it sounds a little hard and cold to me... not as "liquid" and warm as the old moogs, rolands, arps etc listed in this thread.

Has anyone heard the difference between a black face and a white face Arp Odyssey? Or, I guess even better would be the difference between an OB8 and an OBX.

Well...squids! Never mind. It's all good. I wouldn't kick an Andromeda out of bed. :)

Hey Squids, I didn't mean to imply that you're into instant gratification. The Andromeda is deep and polyphonic and where popular electronica is at these days doesn't provide a place for it to really shine. It calls for virtuosity IMO.

Hm, it's hard to explain. For example to my ears the Andromeda sound is a kind that really works well with a round-sounding real wood drum kit. The timbres are going to compliment and contrast each other beautifully- but a real wood drum isn't exactly at the top of most dance DJ's shopping list, is it?

Originally posted by Rabid:

I do not like the sound of the PPG2

Robert

I'm with you. I had a PPG for a few years, but I never really dug its sound - too cold and "straight" for me. (I've heard that the PPG software replica is very accurate. I can imagine; "wow, listen to that mad aliasing - it's AUTHENTIC!" :D )

The other day I played a Mini again, and I have no doubt, folks - it's still the King!!

So here's my list:

Minimoog

Rhodes Chroma

Matrix-12 (Yeah, I *know* it doesn't sound like a SEM, but it does sound like itself :D )

I could never pick one...same with "what's your favorite electric guitar". For which song? For what feel? It can change minute by minute.

Some analog synths that I've owned and/or played extensively and still love (not in any order):

- ARP 2600

- Juno 60 (my first synth I owned) & 106

- Andromeda

- Matrix 12 (damn, I loved the Matrix 12)

- Jeff

Archived