Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music for Silent Film

For anyone who lives in the Bay Area, this Friday and Saturday night I am participating in a live soundtrack to an old Russian silent film, 'My Grandmother.' It is a very bizzare film from 1929 satirizing Russian bureaucracy and we have come up with an equally bizarre and comedic score. We played some of the music at Yoshi's (a local jazz club) last week and last night live on KPFA. Playing live on the radio is worth it's own thread! [url=http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/p-list2.html#nov15_16]Here is a link[/url] for more info. Has anyone here done this kind of gig? Lots of work, but what a blast.
-David R.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Snidley Whiplash here! Wish I could post some stills from the movie. The more I see it, the better it is. We were originally going to do 4 nights, but the Pacific Film Archive who owns the print (the only one in the US) was only able to let it be shown twice. We have practicing to a video and [i]really[/i] hope there are no supprises.
-David R.

[quote]Originally posted by riffing: [b] [quote]Originally posted by David R.: [b]No Snidley Whiplash here![/b][/quote]Rats! I was gonna volunteer my ragtime playing and composing skillz. :) [/b][/quote]All skills and skillz are welcome, but the score is not "old timey.' After our Yoshi's gig, someone said we sounded like Nina Rota on acid. Not sure who he was implying was on acid... :cool: Tonight is the big night. Wish us luck.
-David R.

Archived