Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88-Key controller (never saw this before) LOL!!!

OK, I apologize before I even ask.....but I still need an answer????

What in your honest opinions are the best candidates for an 88-weighted keyboard controller to use with a Kurzweil PC2r. I know that I sound picky....and my uses are actually quite simple. I am primarily a live performer that doesn't mind moving a large keyboard---I just want it to......

My priorities are:

playability feel

ability to store midi performance programs (at least 32)

send aftertouch

pitch/modulation wheels etc.

useable internal piano sounds???(new thread already)

under 50 lbs.????????

Does such a board exist?

Some of the boards that I have tried: Kurzweil PC2X---love the sounds didn't like the feel

Yamaha S80,S08,P80,P120(S80 or S08.....possible contenders)

Roland RD700---love the feel & sounds (no aftertouch or ability to store midi performance programs.)

Roland A90,XV88---great controllers--but HEAVY (I have been using an A70 for the past several years)

Kawai MP 9500---great feel and sounds!...Heavy and no aftertouch

Korg SP500,200----(after Korg did such a wonderful job on the CX3---I was very much looking forward to their new digital pianos.....what a disappointment! (I had an old SG-ProX which felt okay, had aftertouch, pitch/mod wheels, stored program info....was heavy and had lousy acoustic piano sounds.

Studiologic SL1100---simple midi controller w/most of the functions I request....just seems to be flimsy.

Any and all opinions very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Surreal :wave:

Surreal :cool:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roland A-37 is only 76 keys, but way cheaper than the keyboards you mentioned above. It also does not have a piano sound built in. It's got the fake piano feel. I call it fake-weighted. It's also very light which is good for gigging.

I don't have this one, but it's at the top of my wishlist

What type of budget are you on?

The only keyboard that I see you missed is the KAwai ESX1 . worth finding and under 40lbs !

oh ..on board speakers .....(not sure about pitch bend + modulation) . dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by Bobro:

Doepfer makes something that might be what you're looking for:

http://www.doepfer.de

check out the SK2000

Hey Bobro,

Thanks for the link. What a great site! Being in the USA, I had never heard of Doepfer.

Have you played any of their boards? I see that they only have one dealer in the USA. Wish I could demo one of these. This could be my answer!

Surreal :thu:

Surreal :cool:

Originally posted by SurrealMcCoyJazz:

Originally posted by Bobro:

Doepfer makes something that might be what you're looking for:

http://www.doepfer.de

check out the SK2000

Hey Bobro,

Thanks for the link. What a great site! Being in the USA, I had never heard of Doepfer.

Have you played any of their boards? I see that they only have one dealer in the USA. Wish I could demo one of these. This could be my answer!

Surreal :thu:

I like the actions. Haven't heard the one with the sound module built in. I'm a one-hand synth player, but oddly enough my tastes in mechanisms seems to jibe with real pianists'- unfortunately that usually means heavy and expensive boards feel much better.

My wife and I have been on a search like yours for a LONG time now, and still haven't found the right electronic piano. Since our classical pianist friend will be using it a lot and I want her to be able to take it to gigs too, the priorities are about the same.

The Kawai ESX-1 was a big disappointment- it was being advertised as a kind of slimmed-down MP-9000, and on paper looked ideal, but it's far below the 9000 and 9500 in my opinion, just doesn't cut it.

Archived