Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best B3 replication? : SRJV 60s 70s, B4 Native?

What is the "best" (= realistic and convenient) emulation of a Hammond B3 organ among the 3 following products :

- Roland expansion SRJV Keyboards 60s/70s

- Native instrument B4 software

- Emu B3 expander (more expensive than the 2 others)

FYi, it is for recordings only, no live situation, and I intend to pass the sound through a Rotovibe pedal (to emulate a Leslie) and in a Fender Champ Tube amplifier that I will mike in order to get a more organic sound. This may I think compensate for a probable "chemical" or "clinical " sound of these electronic machines.

Thank you for your help

Alex

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Roland board and the NI-B4. I have also spent a lot of time with the E-mu ROM. B4 is the most realistic sounding and I don't think you need to run it through anything to improve the sound. The JV ROM is pretty decent for live situations but I don't think I would record with it. I sometimes use it to play parts while recording midi data, then change to the B4 when recording the sound. This gets me past any latency issues that bug me while recording. The E-mu may now be the best value for live playing if you do not need drawbars. I see non-factory sealed units going for $400 now. For realism it does not match up to the B4.

Robert

Another edit, another dead typo.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

B4 by a mile. I have a jv synth and can get results close to the 60's and 70's board through careful programming. Doesn't get the warmth, the overdrive, the leslie anywhere close to the B4. That's before considering real time control.

The Korg emulator is prety decent too... but it's big money.

Jerry

and I intend to pass the sound through a Rotovibe pedal (to emulate a Leslie) and in a Fender Champ Tube amplifier that I will mike in order to get a more organic sound. This may I think compensate for a probable "chemical" or "clinical " sound of these electronic machines.
I would go with B4 too...it's the best I've heard but don't send it though a pedal...B4's Leslie simulation is better than any pedal. Running it through a small Amp is a very good idea but only if you're happy with a Mono sound. I would use a combination of both if I were you, record the B4 to stereo and record a third track of the Champ...mix to taste.

BUT nothing sounds as good the real thing IMO.

One other clarification...the Champ track should be a straight organ sound with no Leslie effect if you want that classic rock sound.

For Example...I run my Hammond M102 to both a Leslie and a Fender Twin at the same time...the Leslie is mic'd stereo and the twin sits in the middle...you should be able to get a very similar effect with the B4...play around with it.

Of course, you might hate that sound to...just telling you what I'd do :)

I'm a B4 fan, too. When recording, I now use my ROland VK-7 to play the parts live. B4 mixes really well, too.

On the hardware side, for live gigging, I'm pretty impressed with the new Korg CX-3. It's come down a bit in price lately.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Ditto to what everyone else has said regarding the B4. Additionally, with the Roland 60/70 and I believe the Emu as well, you're getting snapshots of B3s. The beauty of the B and one of the reasons it's so fun to play is that it is so easy to interact with it. Players are constantly changing drawbar settings, percussion and chorus on/off, Leslie fast/slow, etc. You can do all of this with the B4 but not with the others as they tend to be static snapshots of B3s.

Busch.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived