Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EQ for live keys?

I am putting together a keyboard stereo monitor system for onstage use. In working primarily with my Kurzweil PC2r, what is the best outboard EQ system for me to use? 15 band, 31`band graphic, or parametric? What brands should I consider/avoid? Also, I would like to keep the price to a minimum. Thanks for any response.

Surreal :idea:

Surreal :cool:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should add that I am using my own mixer (Mackie 1202) w/powered speakers. Effects: Presonus Blue Tube, Presonus compressor, DOD S-100 (dual engine reverb for occasional mic input). I am going to run my Korg CX3 into the tube and wanted the outboard EQ to primarily deal with mid frequencies on piano voices from my Kurzweil PC2r. So essentially, I have my own small PA.

Surreal :idea:

Surreal :cool:

I've got a DOD stereo 15-band EQ, but have my fiddle going through one side and harmonicas through the other, I've never felt the need to EQ my boards. What's the opposite of "golden ears"? That's me, I guess... :rolleyes:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

If space is at a premium and you know how to use it, I'd go with a parametric.

Graphics use a lot of space (stereo means two, usually) but 31 bands will give you more control. Make sure you can extend the range with a switch (like +/-6db to 12db)

If cost is a factor, think Alesis or Behringer.

I agree. Currently Musician's Friend has the Behringer for $149. I have 2 of 'em that I use for FOH and 2 monitor channels. I prefer it over the Alesis MEQ 230 because I have fat fingers and the MEQ 230 has sliders too close for me to use with any precision.

Rick

Archived