Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triton Sequencing?

Jedi

O.K. Folks,

I just got my Triton, and I know I should read the manual, but I really really really would like to get something on it, Now. I've been messing around with the sequencer and I am starting to get the feel of it. Just a real basic question. How can I set the amount of measures on a part? For example, I layed a drum part on Song O1. I only wanted it to go a couple of bars. Instead, it just kept going and going and going. I know it's probably something really easy, but this is the only thing that is holding me back from making the next big life changing record to save the world. :D (I'm kidding). Also, if you Triton wizards have any secret sequencing tips that you want to share that would be great.

Before you guys rag on me, I am reading the manual. I will read it, really, I will, for sure, no bullsh#$%ing. I will. ;)

Jedi

I am looking for that video, though. But I'm really going to read it. ;);)

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take that as a nudge, Dan! ;):D

Originally posted by dblackjedi:

Just a real basic question. How can I set the amount of measures on a part? For example, I layed a drum part on Song O1. I only wanted it to go a couple of bars. Instead, it just kept going and going and going.

Jedi,

On the main screen in sequencer mode, at the bottom of the screen, are two little tabs labeled "PlyLoop 1-8" and "PlyLoop 9-16". Open these pages and you'll see that each track can be checkmarked to enable it to play endlessly. Make sure none of the tracks are checked if you don't want them to loop.

Did you know that each track can be recorded in patterns, drum machine style? In any track, hit the "menu" button and touch the P6: Pattern/RPPR window. From there you can specify the number of bars, time signature, etc. for each pattern, then "put" (paste) the pattern to a track. I find that it's way easier to do drums this way. Just make sure and remember to name each pattern to avoid confusion!

The Triton's sequencer is actually very intuitive to work with, once you learn which page the features are on. Sometimes they seem to be a little scattered. Hope this helps. Enjoy! :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Thanks for a bumping me up, Dan. I've been getting along O.K. with the manual. I think I figured out how to edit my length, but something is really bugging me. It appears to me like the Triton doesn't have any internal memory. Once I cut it off, everything I've done is gone. I've been looking in the manual for a way to write my sequences to the internal hard drive, but it looks like the only way to save your stuff is through disk or SCSI. AM I MISSING SOMETHING OR WHAT?

Thanks,

Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

You are correct. You lose all sample and sequence data when you turn it off so you will need to save it to hard disk, floppy or external SCSI device to avoid losing it.

You can press Menu, then the Edit Track button and the last choice on the edit track menu will be "set song length" which should give you the length you're looking for.

have fun!

You're not missing anything. The Triton doesn't have flash ROM, or an internal hard drive. You have to save your sequences to floppy disk or to a drive connected to the SCSI port.

Here are a couple of Triton forums. The first site has great sequencing and sound design tutorials with mp3 and SNG demos, newsletters, PCGs, links to 3rd party apps, etc. It's an endless pit of Triton info.

http://www.irishacts.com/forum/yabb/YaBB.cgi

www.tapesh.com/triton

Yeah, I forgot to mention the memory thing. I thought it was a little odd at first, but it forces me to make a backup (on floppy) whenever I work on a project. This has come in handy when I've screwed something up. I just reload from the floppy. You can save your patches to the floppy at the same time, if you with. If you don't want to save ALL of them (overkill, esp. if you're using mostly presets), you can save banks of 100 programs.

I keep three floppies per Triton (on off site at all times) to ensure that I won't lose my data even if disaster strikes.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Thanks everyone. I've been getting along pretty well.

Originally posted by Bucktunes

Did you know that each track can be recorded in patterns, drum machine style? In any track, hit the "menu" button and touch the P6: Pattern/RPPR window. From there you can specify the number of bars, time signature, etc. for each pattern, then "put" (paste) the pattern to a track. I find that it's way easier to do drums this way. Just make sure and remember to name each pattern to avoid confusion!

Thanks for mentioning this, Bucktunes. Actually, I started using this function yesterday, before I read your post. I went through the whole process("put" it to track and everything). I'm used to the old drum machine way, so I was like a fish to water with this. Your post let me know that I was on the right "track"( ridiculous pun, but I couldn't help myself). Seriously though, thanks again.

I think I'm really starting to get it together with the sequencer, you guys are right, it is pretty simple. I agree the manual is a little round about, but still I'm getting it. Quick question, Is it easy to indivualize the sound output jacks? For example, sending drums to the main output jacks, keys to the individual 1, bass to individual 2...ect.

I can't believe the memory thing. I would expect a $2,000 dollar keyboard would have an internal hard drive. What the hell is that about? However, once I thought about it, there may be some benefit in it. It might be easier to organize my projects, by making sure there is only one project per disk, including its unique sequence and programs(Things can get out of control on some of my other units).

Well, time to get back to it.

Thanks again everyone,

Jedi

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Originally posted by me

Quick question, Is it easy to indivualize the sound output jacks? For example, sending drums to the main output jacks, keys to the individual 1, bass to individual 2...ect.

Have you ever felt really stupid. I didn't realize I was routing my sounds to those jacks all the time. :idea: I apologize for such a silly question.

Chris100,

Thanks for that link. After reading a lot of the info on those threads I gained a much better understanding of what I was doing. Like I said, I was doing it, but it wasn't registering. Because of those threads not only did I realize I was routing the whole time, but I understand why I don't want to do that(no Master EFX). Now, I know just to sync the Triton up.

Thanks everyone,

Jedi

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Jedi: No problem, it's nice to know I was of some help.

If you have any other Triton specific questions, that forum is definitely the place to ask. There are a few guys there that know the Triton inside out, even better than Korg do ;)

Archived