Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I change my QS7.1 for the Yamaha S08

Skyyder

Hello dear friends, I play mainly gospel music as I am a church musician, but I'm am also interested in playing Jazz and and Pop music.

I recently bought a QS7.1 and I'm not sure what to make of it. There are some effects on certain patches which is very annoying and the sustain seems to work, don't work and work in reverse (i.e it sustains on the up pedal instead of the down)

I'm fine with weighted 88keys and in terms of sounds I really need good acoustic piano, e-pianos, strings, organs and bass.

The Epiano and the strings on the QS7.1 unedited IMO is really poor the TYNODINE in mix mode is the best I've found and it's still not great.

I'm not into editing just yet I'm learning as I go along so for now I need a board whose sounds I can play straight up without having to edit or tweak too much.

I have been planning on getting the Yamaha P80 for the piano sound and feel on the keys, however if the S08 have a good acoustic piano patch and similar or near similar feel on the keys then I maybe wouldnt need to buy the P80 since my budget dont really allow me to at this time either. Also whats the best price on the S08 at this time.

Well thank you for your advice and for any review on the Yamaha S08 that you can give. The more the better.

Is there a Sam ASh store in Miami

P.S. I have played on the Motif6 and Triton76 and if those boards are semi-weighted then the QS7.1 isn't IMO. What do you think

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Skyyder:

the sustain seems to work, don't work and work in reverse (i.e it sustains on the up pedal instead of the down)

The problem that you are describing usually happens when a pedal with a different polarity than the one to which the QS defaults is plugged into it when the instrument is already turned on. The QS7.1 should automatically sense the polarity of any pedal that you plug into it, provided that the pedal in question is plugged into it before you power the instrument up.

I have played on the Motif6 and Triton76 and if those boards are semi-weighted then the QS7.1 isn't IMO. What do you think
The QS7.1 is certainly semi-weighted.

The way that you can tell with a plastic synth-style keybed is to put your finger under the key. If it is hollow (so you can literally touch the underside of the surface of the key), then it is an unweighted synth action. If there is any sort of a mass under the key (or if it is sealed), then it is semi-weighted.

Additional note - if you are going to be using your QS synth in a worship application, you might want to audition a Sanctuary Q Card - they were designed specifically for that purpose. There are different EPs and strings on that card - perhaps they will be more what you are looking for.

...and yes, there is a huge Sam Ash in Miami - at least, there was the last time I looked.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I have never played the S08, but I do own the S03 which has the same sound source, and I find it far superior to the Alesis sounds. I think for a chuch type of application, where sound programing is not as much of an issue, I would seriously consider purchasing one.

Archived