Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can someone tell me what the hell this midi port is for on the back of my piano???

Jrock444

OK, I have a digital piano, no fancy stuff, just 8 or 9 types of instruments. I play for personal enjoyment and occasional small jams when my friends are over. My big question is, what use is MIDI for someone like me???? If I recorded stuff, I'm sure there is some neat stuff I could do, but I don't record.

So is it usefull in any way to me? The only thing I can figure out is that if I download a midi from the net I could play it through the piano. Does that mean it would sound like it does when I play midis on my computer, really fake sounding; or would it use the grand piano setting or whatever and sound better? Would the drum sounds come through? If it would sound good, then I guess I could use the midi to have a list of songs for the piano to play. Is that right?

Thanks for any help!!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I'm not going to try to explain midi and all it's uses but it can be for more than recording, you can slave other sound modules/keyboards or use another keyboard as master controller and slave your piano.

It's a bonus to have whether you use it or not.

As for midi sounding cheesy=yes if you use quicktime or some crappy sound card, no=if you use excellent sound modules.

I write songs using a Kurzweil K2500x and a Roland JV-1080 and although they aren't GS compatable they get the job done while sounding very good.

:thu:;)

Thanks, I see how I could make use of it to record my stuff, or to play other instruments at the same time, but I'm not interested in those features, at least at the time being.

I am curious though if there is a way a could load a list of midis to the piano and have it play background music at a party or for personal listening. (i.e. player piano). Is this possible? Would it play the songs through one of the piano settings and sound good, or would it sound electronic and kinda cheesy like when I play midis on my pc?

Also, if I can do that, what type of hardware do I need? Are there midi file players I can hook up between my pc and piano? I dont see a midi out port on the back of my pc.

Thanks again!!!!

P.S. thanks for not trying to explain midi to me. I asked this question on another board and someone proceeded to explain midi in a lengthy post of which I understood about 4 words. ;)

I am curious though if there is a way a could load a list of midis to the piano and have it play background music at a party or for personal listening. (i.e. player piano). Is this possible?

In order to do this, you would need a synth like the Triton, or something else that can load general midi files and store a cue list.

Would it play the songs through one of the piano settings and sound good, or would it sound electronic and kinda cheesy like when I play midis on my pc?

Midi is not a form of audio. Think of it as a stream of data that tells your piano which notes to play, how hard to hit them, and how long to hold them , when to press the sustain pedal, etc. It's still your digital piano generating the sound, so the midi will not sound the way it does being played through your soundcard's crappy GM section, it will sound like your piano.

Also, if I can do that, what type of hardware do I need? Are there midi file players I can hook up between my pc and piano? I dont see a midi out port on the back of my pc.

If your PC has a joystick port, it has a midi port. What you need is an interface which converts that joystick port to a standard 5 pin midi in/out. If you have USB ports, there are also USB midi interfaces.

Hope this helps

Thanks Chris, your answers were very clear. I found a midi to joystick cord on the internet after you told me that's where it would plug in. Now, how do I play something once I hook the piano to the soundcard? Does it involve using whatever program I normally use to play midis on the pc? Will the pc recognize the piano when i boot up, or do I need special software? Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Jrock444:

Now, how do I play something once I hook the piano to the soundcard? Does it involve using whatever program I normally use to play midis on the pc?

Yes. You can just use that program. Your piano will start behaving like your sound card does if you follow the directions below.

Originally posted by Jrock444:

Will the pc recognize the piano when i boot up, or do I need special software? Thanks!!!

It doesn't have to recognize it, the way it recognizes PC hardware. It can send MIDI information along the wire without knowing what's at the other end.

It must be instructed to NOT send messages to the sound card however. And it must be told to send midi messages to whatever device is at the other end of your soundcards MIDI port. These settings can be found in the multimedia section of your control panel... at the MIDI tab.

MIDI can be plugged and unplugged betwen powered devices without upsetting any of them. BTW, you might want to start with sequences for solo piano.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

A note about playing pre-recorded midi information using your piano as a sound source:

Does your piano only have 7 or 8 sounds? Does it have the ability to play drum sounds? Is it multichannel or single channel?

A general midi based sequence will assign certain information to separate channels. Each channel assignment will be assigned to an instrument type. If your keys don't have drum sounds, or doesn't support multi-channel midi info, it will attempt to play the drums on the instrument sound available. since midi is based on note numbers, regardless of whether you are playing a melodic instrument or a set of drum sounds, each drum will have a note assignment. The result is, you hear the representative notes on the piano sound that would normally play individual drum sounds. There are several ways to filter out the drum notes, if this is the case. The easiest is to find a way to "mute" channel 10, as this is usually the drum set channel. If you can't do this from the piano, you should be able to defeat channel 10 from your computer or hardware sequencer.

BTW, there are plenty of hardware sequencers that can be used with any midi device. The advantage is, the keyboard doesn't have to be near your computer with a hardware sequencer. I still have my old Alesis MMT-8 for sequencing sans computer. The MMT-8 must have prerecorded sequences loaded as MIDI data from the computer. Some hardware sequencers can share data with the computer via a floppy disk drive.

Have fun!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived