Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ACID for mastering??

Hi all- Is there any reason I couldn't use ACID for mastering? I have good (Waves, TC) plug-ins, and I could use Logic, but it has to bounce in real time, so I was curious if there was anything ACID does with the digital mixing/bounce that would degrade the path any more than "usual". I know I should just get SForge 6.0, but for now... Thanks :p

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can "sorta master" with anything that hosts plug-ins. But for the kind of detail work one does with professional mastering, you really need something like Sound Forge or Wavelab. You might want to check out my Quick Start book on Audio Mastering for basic info about the processes and tools that are used.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]You can "sorta master" with anything that hosts plug-ins. But for the kind of detail work one does with professional mastering, you really need something like Sound Forge or Wavelab. You might want to check out my Quick Start book on Audio Mastering for basic info about the processes and tools that are used.[/b][/quote]Hey Craig, Where is your mastering book available and what is it called? - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]<> i dunno, maybe for a pink floyd tribute record. myself, i stick to strong coffee and maybe a light beer or two..... -d. gauss[/b][/quote]I like the coffe and fattie combo, myself.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b]Hey Craig, Where is your mastering book available and what is it called?[/b][/quote]It's called Audio Mastering. [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0825619378/qid%3D1037213810/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-3518778-0596116]Click here.[/url] ~~~ Sylver: Yeah, buddy! :cool:

[b]i dunno, maybe for a pink floyd tribute record. myself, i stick to strong coffee and maybe a light beer or two.....[/b] Hahaha! I still wonder why they called it "ACID"- I mean it just begs for these kinds of comments. Craig- I'll soon get SF 6- I could also use TRacks on this project, but it needs a bit more of a "surgical" eq-ing... I'll give it a shot (ACID, not "acid"- had enough of that in High School...)

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b] [quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b]Hey Craig, Where is your mastering book available and what is it called?[/b][/quote]It's called Audio Mastering. [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0825619378/qid%3D1037213810/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-3518778-0596116]Click here.[/url] ~~~ Sylver: Yeah, buddy! :cool: [/b][/quote]Thanks dBunny!

Hey dBunny - thanks for doing my marketing for me!!! Much appreciated. Since the review on the site is so favorable I want to make sure people understand that this is a book on basics, to get you started. It's not a 400-page on Everything You Wanted to Know About Mastering. Its intention is to help people make their music sound better even if they have zero mastering experience, and to better understand what's involved in the mastering process should they seek out a professional mastering engineer.

Hey Craig, I've noticed your name popping up several times in an Amazon search box that I installed on my site, I designed each individual box to be topic specific; your books appear under the box I created for "Pro Audio." How many books have you written; not articles, but actual books?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

In addition to Craig's book, get [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0872887413/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-6995251-9967233?v=glance&s=books]Bobby Owsinski\'s[/url] Those two will get you a leg up on mastering. The rest is listening, mixing, listening, mixing... and spending some bucks on room treatment and great monitors so you can hear the subtle differences you're creating. Yours in Music, Ben Fury

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

How many books have you written; not articles, but actual books? AMSCO (several are out of print): Electronic Projects for Musicians Home Recording for Musicians (1st edition) Craig Anderton's Home Recording for Musicians (revised edition) Guitar Gadgets Power Sequencing with Master Tracks Pro The Complete Guide to the Alesis HR-16 and MMT-8 The Digital Delay Handbook The Electronic Musician's Dictionary Multieffects for Musicians Digital Projects for Musicians Sonar Quick Start Sonar 2 Quick Start Reason Quick Start Reason 2 Quick Start Audio Mastering Quick Start Backbeat Books: Do-It-Yourself Projects for Guitarists Warner Bros. Publications (out of print): 7 Simple Steps to Buying a Word Processor

Craig, I noticed that there was more than one title given your authorship; I've been working Amazon's search engines to call up books under particular keywords so that these books will automatically be displayed on my site when someone queries into the books offered per topic. Right now, sometimes books are displayed; but often times the generic Amazon boxes pop up and they are UGLY on the site. The generic boxes virtually serve no purpose without knowing what to seek for; it takes about 4 x of hitting the refresh buttons to make all items appear. Once they do appear, there are some really cool books in publication; at least one of yours being hot in the random selection. I remember seeing one other title of yours one time so there are more of your books buried deeper down in requests. I noticed your name almost instantly when I started cuing the keywords; I was thinking, HEY, I kinda know this guy. :cool: Most people won't go the extra mile to spend time refreshing the boxes though.... the generic boxes are enough to scare most people off at a first glance. :bor: For all, Whether or not anyone decides to visit over at my site to see the books on demand is not that big of a deal; but if anyone wants to know the keywords to use on Amazon searches to display Craig's Books, among other notorius authors, here's a few for starters: "pro audio" "sound mastering" "sound production" "live sound." I also noticed Owsinki's name as mentioned above. I'm trying not to spam here, but, if any of you forget the keywords... you know where you can find em' ;) The more people that request these keywords, regardless of which Amazon connection they use, the more quickly Amazon's search engine will respond to the request and eliminate the dumb looking generic boxes.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Archived